SASS Wire Forum

Hermit Of The Superstition Mountains

Subdeacon Joe

“Hermit of Superstition Mountain”.

E.M Reavis ( first name usually spelled as Elisha, but sometimes spelled Elijah ) served as a deputy U.S. marshal in Fort McDowell in Arizona Territory, in 1875. 

Born in Illinois, he had left for California during the gold rush and then had relocated to La Paz, Arizona, in 1869. 

After leaving his law office, Reavis headed for the hills and became known as the “Hermit of Superstition Mountain”. 

Reavis hunted deer and bear with his rifle and also farmed, only returning to civilization to sell his produce. 

Beavis died beside a campfire in The wilderness around April 10, 1896, when a prospector discovered the body.

Courtesy share of: Tom Kruger post~£AWMEN & OUTLAWS OF THE OLD WEST ~

FB_IMG_1612932395148.jpg

My Dad read everything he could about this man and the Superstition Mountains in general. He was convinced that he could find the Dutchman’s Mine, though he actually never tried. 

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/04/29/superstition-mountains/

Only spent one day looking. More time enjoying the beauty than trying to find the mine. Besides it was hot that day.

4 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy

Can anyone tell what that belt buckle says?

It sure looks interesting.

Best

CR

M1851 Enlisted Eagle Belt Plate (if it has the applied silver wreath).  Some officers wore them also, up through the CW.  Rectangular "U.S." plate replaced the enlisted version in 1872.

Archived