SASS Wire Forum

Creative ways to avoid the Henry Hop.

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

However, I use a rag to retrieve it when the stage is complete. It’s really soaked with heat by then!

Slim, might want have the Brass Picker take your rifle to the UL Table :P

On 2/22/2021 at 8:31 PM, Rev Willy Dunkum, SASS # 61027 said:

Not wanting to wear a glove with my 1860 Henry and with the new SASS rules change, p34 under Stocks and Grips, " A leather lace on "heat shield" wrap around the barrel and magazine  tube of the 1860 Henry rifle is allowed."   My question is, has anyone made a successful wrap yet?  I can't see how the follower will clear a lace on wrap.  I'm interested. No specifications as to length so is hand width understood or is it personal preference?

I don't want to overthink this but want to color within the lines.

I was imagining using some rawhide on the bottom that left a big enough gap.  But palewolf's answer makes more sense. 

19 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Cypress Sam

Like that forarm .

Thanks.  I made it out of the forend from a Rossi 92 carbine that someone had restocked.  I pulled it out of the burn pile at a gun shop.  

I made a spacer stick out of a 7/16 oak dowel and 2 empty 45 colt cases. Cut the dowel 4.25" long and then epoxied a 45 colt case to each end taking care to keep the case heads parallel to each other.Then loaded 1 round into the magazine followed by the spacer stick. Used a sharpie to mark the stick where the follower groove ended.

Drilled a 9/64" hole and installed a #6 brass machine screw. Cut it off so that it was even with the follower slot.

Repeat for the other end. 

Now the spacer stick cannot be installed backwards and only touches the magazine tube on the case rims reducing drag. 

19 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I made a spacer stick out of a 7/16 oak dowel and 2 empty 45 colt cases. Cut the dowel 4.25" long and then epoxied a 45 colt case to each end taking care to keep the case heads parallel to each other.Then loaded 1 round into the magazine followed by the spacer stick. Used a sharpie to mark the stick where the follower groove ended.

Drilled a 9/64" hole and installed a #6 brass machine screw. Cut it off so that it was even with the follower slot.

Repeat for the other end. 

Now the spacer stick cannot be installed backwards and only touches the magazine tube on the case rims reducing drag. 

You lost me at the end.  What do the screws do for you, and why does it matter if the stick is installed backwards?  It sounded like it was symmetrical until you started drilling holes. 

18 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

You lost me at the end.  What do the screws do for you, and why does it matter if the stick is installed backwards?  It sounded like it was symmetrical until you started drilling holes. 

Without the screws the stick will move onto the carrier after the last round is fired and lock the action open. If you wanted to do an over the top reload you couldn't. 

With a screw on only one end if you have to remember to put it into the magazine the correct way.

Archived