SASS Wire Forum

Creative ways to avoid the Henry Hop.

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

While looking over my Henry after getting back from a gunsmith, I got to thinking, again, about a way to avoid having to do the "Henry Hop."  The most common, and probably easiest way is to put a spacer in the magazine.   But is that the only way?  I found myself wondering if there would not be a way to have some sort of a block of wood that you could fit over the barrel that would sit against the frame and do double duty as a fowler stop and a makeshift forestock.

I can see it in my mind, but I don't know if it's actually feasible.

I saw one that had a 8” is so strap attached to the sling swivel point on the barrel. Had a knot in the end. Shooter held the strap in fist, pulling rifle into shoulder. Looked to have plenty of control over rifle. I’m not sure if this would be called a sling or not. I just use the stick. 

Put a stop screw in the carrier so you can shoot .45 Cowboy Specials.  With ten rounds in the tube, it is pretty easy to put your support hand in front of the follower.

No sticks required.

There was a "modification" approved recently that allowed a leather wrap around the barrel/magazine that, couple with a spacer stick, eliminated the "Henry Hop"...

1 hour ago, Clyde Henry 7046 said:

I had a loading gate installed and the lifter modified so as it loaded just like the 66.  I then cut that dam little tab off.  Oh the joy of it all!!

Also an illegal modification.

2 hours ago, Clyde Henry 7046 said:

I had a loading gate installed and the lifter modified so as it loaded just like the 66.  I then cut that dam little tab off.  Oh the joy of it all!!

1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Also an illegal modification.

If the rifle replicates a "Transitional Henry", it is in compliance with the "Rifle Requirements" (ROC ruling - March 2006)

Rifles or carbines used in the main and team matches must be original or replicas of lever or slide action rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899, incorporating a tubular magazine and exposed hammer.

SHB p.39

transitional henry sm.jpg

SOURCE

Henry_Transition_zps0031b5e3.jpg

9 hours ago, Clyde Henry 7046 said:

Could someone just put a 66 side plate with a gate

Major Art Tillery shoots a Henry quite well with no mods. Smokeless and BP. He's just learned to hold his support hand fingers in a V on the tube and that tab moves freely right through his fingers. He's pretty smooth with a Henry.

No stick, no glove, no huge hands either. Just experimented, found an easy way to run a Henry while keeping it simple.

11 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Major Art Tillery shoots a Henry quite well with no mods. Smokeless and BP. He's just learned to hold his support hand fingers in a V on the tube and that tab moves freely right through his fingers. He's pretty smooth with a Henry.

No stick, no glove, no huge hands either. Just experimented, found an easy way to run a Henry while keeping it simple.

That is the way I shot my Henry at the Showdown since we were loading 13 for the side match so no hop stick. Worked great even with my short fat fingers. ;)

On 2/9/2021 at 7:19 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I found myself wondering if there would not be a way to have some sort of a block of wood that you could fit over the barrel that would sit against the frame and do double duty as a fowler stop and a makeshift forestock.

I can see it in my mind, but I don't know if it's actually feasible.

It’s been done and was posted here on the wire within the last few years. Interesting, but illegal for SASS. 

43 minutes ago, The Verdigris Kid said:

That is the way I shot my Henry at the Showdown since we were loading 13 for the side match so no hop stick. Worked great even with my short fat fingers. ;)

Yeah you rocked that Henry... Going to whip ya this year pard!  :lol:

I don't mind the "Henry Hop". It just goes with the territory. if I wanted a rifle that I didn't have to put up with the "hop", I'd never have bought a Henry. I would have gone with a '66. Actually...I did get a '66 as well.

But that is just me. 

I totally understand that the Henry looks beyond cool, and I also totally understand that some folks want to address the "hop", and make it all a smoother ride. 

But...for me...I just don't see the point. 

However...as long as it is okay with the powers-that-be, and it follows the tons of rules we have, then I say, great....go for it Willie!!!

Reading about the modifications is really very interesting, and I enjoy seeing the Pards work out a solution to the "hop". 

I appreciate the ingenuity of it all. No place but the U.S.A.!!!!  

W.K.  

I assume this would be a no no, but I'll ask that Palewolf chime in.

What about putting in your ten live rounds and then "topping off" the magazine with snap caps?

For the record,  use a spacer stick.   I sometimes just even do the hop.   I just thought it would be interesting to see what are some of the other ways people have thought of to "deal with" the issue.    A couple of the suggestions made have been really interesting.

50 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

What about putting in your ten live rounds and then "topping off" the magazine with snap caps?

I am also curious what others say, but my guess is that you could do that as long you cycle them all out before staging the rifle or going to the ULT. You probably could also overload with live rounds, just not use (shoot) one without penalty. If you'd use one you likely get a SOG as it was on purpose (kind of...)

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

2 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

I am also curious what others say, but my guess is that you could do that as long you cycle them all out before staging the rifle or going to the ULT. You probably could also overload with live rounds, just not use (shoot) one without penalty. If you'd use one you likely get a SOG as it was on purpose (kind of...)

Any "extra" rounds (including snap caps, IMO) loaded in a rifle would need to be cleared before firing the next gun to avoid a MSV (SHB p.22)

Firing an extra round would be a "P". (SHB p.22)

A Loading Table Officer should stop a shooter from loading more rounds than required for the stage. (SHB p.21)

Use a "spacer stick"...NOT extra rounds.

24 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Any "extra" rounds (including snap caps, IMO) loaded in a rifle would need to be cleared before firing the next gun to avoid a MSV (SHB p.22)

Firing an extra round would be a "P". (SHB p.22)

A Loading Table Officer should stop a shooter from loading more rounds than required for the stage. (SHB p.21)

Use a "spacer stick"...NOT extra rounds.

Sounds reasonable to me.    Another problem with the snap cap route is that you will probably lose them rather quickly.

Like I said, I use a spacer stick.   I just like talking about "possibilities."

Mother Nature has had a method since creation ... jus hold the barrel over the magazine with your thumb, index and middle fingers. Magazine lever slides right between your fingers. works for me but if ya have stubby fingers, use a different method :D

On 2/9/2021 at 7:19 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

While looking over my Henry after getting back from a gunsmith, I got to thinking, again, about a way to avoid having to do the "Henry Hop."  The most common, and probably easiest way is to put a spacer in the magazine.   But is that the only way?

Just load 5 rounds.  Take 5 "shots not fired" penalties.  Simple, no gamesmanship, no wondering if it's within the rules, let the scorekeeper do the math!  

On 2/11/2021 at 6:33 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

That kinda looks like what I envisioned.   But as I look at it, I find myself thinking how does it push the final rounds into the chamber?

Sorry about the delay answering your question.  I used the same spacer stick as you would in one without the forend.  You could make a follower with an extended nose to do the same thing.  

On 2/11/2021 at 11:13 AM, John Boy said:

Mother Nature has had a method since creation ... jus hold the barrel over the magazine with your thumb, index and middle fingers. Magazine lever slides right between your fingers. works for me but if ya have stubby fingers, use a different method :D

On 2/20/2021 at 8:07 AM, blazeafar SASS # 6750 said:

I shot a Henry for years in N-SSA competition for years,and we loaded up the magazine all the way. Never had a problem by holding it like John Boy stated . The only thing is had to wear a glove because the barrel gets really hot with BP loads.

Nawlins

57 minutes ago, Nawlins Kid SASS #36107 said:

I shot a Henry for years in N-SSA competition for years,and we loaded up the magazine all the way. Never had a problem by holding it like John Boy stated . The only thing is had to wear a glove because the barrel gets really hot with BP loads.

Nawlins

Not wanting to wear a glove with my 1860 Henry and with the new SASS rules change, p34 under Stocks and Grips, " A leather lace on "heat shield" wrap around the barrel and magazine  tube of the 1860 Henry rifle is allowed."   My question is, has anyone made a successful wrap yet?  I can't see how the follower will clear a lace on wrap.  I'm interested. No specifications as to length so is hand width understood or is it personal preference?

I don't want to overthink this but want to color within the lines.

1 hour ago, Rev Willy Dunkum, SASS # 61027 said:

Not wanting to wear a glove with my 1860 Henry and with the new SASS rules change, p34 under Stocks and Grips, " A leather lace on "heat shield" wrap around the barrel and magazine  tube of the 1860 Henry rifle is allowed."   

My question is, has anyone made a successful wrap yet? 

Yes, photos of a working prototype was submitted with the FMC.

I can't see how the follower will clear a lace on wrap.

It doesn't.  IIRC, a "spacer stick" is used under the wrap to stop the follower at the front of the wrap.

I'm interested. No specifications as to length so is hand width understood or is it personal preference?

No restrictions regarding length.

I don't want to overthink this but want to color within the lines.

image.png

51 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Nawlins, if you shoot fast enough, the heat on the barrel won’t catch up to your fingers :D

WE also shot muskets and used Crisco for lube on  the mini balls. Well one time a team member's glove stated to smother from the heat  of the barrel of the  Henry., I guess the glove had too much embedded Crisco.   He took the glove off really fast and was lucky he did not  burned.

Nawlins

On 2/22/2021 at 9:22 PM, John Boy said:

Nawlins, if you shoot fast enough, the heat on the barrel won’t catch up to your fingers :D

Actually, that’s quite true. I can shoot one briskly, if not fast and not need a glove with BP. However, I use a rag to retrieve it when the stage is complete. It’s really soaked with heat by then!

Archived