SASS Wire Forum

Dumb Mechanical Question (Spark Plug Heat Shields)

So the Kid pulled the heads off my '01 Dodge Ram (6-cil 3.9) this weekend.  I just remove the ancillary stuff and will be takin' 'em in to the shop tomorrow.

It's been probably over twenty years since I've torn down an engine, so here's the Dumb Question:  Should I remove the spark plug heat shields first?  And when did they start usin' those things?  :huh:

By the way - engine has had a P0203 code for some time, which precludes getting a registration renewal smog check.  Starboard side head gasket was breached between cylinders 2-4 (first two cylinders); it was aspirating coolant, causing intermittent misfires (2 - 10/ minute).  Coolant test indicated exhaust presence; as expected, there was a quarter-sized steam-cleaned spot on the piston face.    ^_^

234341054_SparkPlugHeatShield.jpeg.8d3fe9dffc55d9c36afdf973a1a08ede.jpeg

I recall metal heat shields on my brand new 1975 350 cid Nova. I don’t recall seeing them on my ‘68 Chevelle.  Saw them on some late’60s/early 70’s Ford V8s too.

Yes and do not throw them away. They look like crap but are important. They keep your engine firing properly because the wire doesn’t fall apart from heat when your in a timber road and the sun is going down. 

Guess how I know? Oh, keep a spare long spark plug wire handy in your vehicle, just in case. Guess how I know?

11 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yes and do not throw them away. They look like crap but are important. They keep your engine firing properly because the wire doesn’t fall apart from heat when your in a timber road and the sun is going down. 

Guess how I know? Oh, keep a spare long spark plug wire handy in your vehicle, just in case. Guess how I know?

Awrighty... how the heck do they come out?  Are they screwed in or...?  :huh:

Dangit.  I already put 'em in my trunk.  They fit right nicely in the Miata boot.  :rolleyes:

Howdy,

If its on a miata you need it.

Heat shields are fun to throw away until the part they were shielding melts or

fries or......burst into FLAME.

I once got to make a full wire set for my Dads ford because the wires were very

Tired and we were traveling in the Rockies.

No standard wire sets for the ford so I just bought wire and boots and 

cut and installed em one at a time.

Dad thought it was kinda cool.

Best

CR

15 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

If its on a miata you need it.

Heat shields are fun to throw away until the part they were shielding melts or

fries or......

I once got to make a full set for my Dads ford because the wires were very

Tired and we were traveling in the Rockies.

No standard wire sets for the ford so I just bought wire and boots and 

cut and installed em one at a time.

Dad thought it was kinda cool.

Best

CR

It's not.

The heads are off my '91 Dodge Ram 3.9 V-6... I put 'em in the trunk of the Miata to haul 'em to the shop.  ^_^

No doubt the engine needs 'em... I'm just wonderin' if they have to be removed, if I have to remove 'em, or if that's something the shop would do.   

They are pressed in. Unfortunately they tend to rust in place and can be a bear to remove.

I would leave them in place and let the machine shop handle handle them. I would ask the shop about them when you drop off the heads.

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

They are pressed in. Unfortunately they tend to rust in place and can be a bear to remove.

I would leave them in place and let the machine shop handle handle them. I would ask the shop about them when you drop off the heads.

Glad you knew. On a Chevy they’re bolted on. 

Archived