SASS Wire Forum

Another Ruger Wrangler Question--can't slip hammer them?

Ripsaw

Discovered my new Wranglers don't fire by the "slip hammer" method. Anyone know why? Is it me or are they designed this way? Thoughts? And how easy to change? 

Already put 15 lb hammer springs and lightened up the trigger a tad.  Otherwise nice little guns. 

As with some other clubs, due to the ammo situation, we are allowing competitors to shoot .22LR if they want. Thought I'd get a pair just to get familiar with them in case we get competitors who shoot them.  (Any excuse for another pair of revolvers...LOL)

I have the same issue with the Uberti Short Stroke Cattleman.

It will invariably over cock and when you fire it misses the centre of the cartridge. I don't slip hammer but the problem is if my finger is taking up some trigger slack then it over cocks.

13 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

Discovered my new Wranglers don't fire by the "slip hammer" method. Anyone know why? Is it me or are they designed this way? Thoughts? And how easy to change? 

Already put 15 lb hammer springs and lightened up the trigger a tad.  Otherwise nice little guns. 

As with some other clubs, due to the ammo situation, we are allowing competitors to shoot .22LR if they want. Thought I'd get a pair just to get familiar with them in case we get competitors who shoot them.  (Any excuse for another pair of revolvers...LOL)

How'd that light of a spring work out? I just ordered an 17# from Wolff and they seemed to think it would be too light.

23 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

What specifically are they they failing to do? I have a pair and they operate just as my vaqueros do.

10 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

How'd that light of a spring work out? I just ordered an 17# from Wolff and they seemed to think it would be too light.

I put 14# springs in mine and they are choosy as to the ammo, not just to brands but to lot numbers.

12 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I tried a 14 lb spring first and had FTF's. 15lb spring works fine.  

2 hours ago, Bo Dacious said:

What specifically are they they failing to do? I have a pair and they operate just as my vaqueros do.

It feels like the trigger is impeding the fall of the hammer--you can feel the trigger move as the hammer falls when slip hammering. 

2 hours ago, Bo Dacious said:

I put 14# springs in mine and they are choosy as to the ammo, not just to brands but to lot numbers.

Gamer:lol:

12 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

I tried a 14 lb spring first and had FTF's. 15lb spring works fine.  

It feels like the trigger is impeding the fall of the hammer--you can feel the trigger move as the hammer falls when slip hammering. 

Both of mine slip hammer just fine. Internally they are just like all the other single action rugers. There is one extra part but it doesn't move, its there to keep the pawl from wearing the frame. 

OK, switched out the 15 lb springs for 17s and then 19s and the guns will slip hammer reliably now.  I don't know why I didn't try heavier springs before asking this question.  

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Our pair comes in Thursday. I guess I should order the springs now. Any tips for additional mods needed?

Gamer:D

13 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Our pair comes in Thursday. I guess I should order the springs now. Any tips for additional mods needed?

yep, take some off the loading gate spring, it is twice as hard to open as a vaquero and smaller. Also I had 1  loading gate that still had casting flash on it, it was galling the frame making it even harder to open.

13 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I ordered the 17/30 Wolff springs 2 weeks ago. They still haven't shipped. The web site says 14-18 days to ship. Just FYI, order now!

32 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I ordered two sets yesterday!

Capt. Bill, I ordered two sets of Wolf springs for my pair of Ruger Wranglers and it took almost a month for them to arrive.  I installed them and it makes a world of difference.  Worth the wait.

Kajun

Now for grips. How come we can never be happy with the way they come?;) The Missus has finally caught on. When I mention the cost of a gun, she now says "And how much for the accessories and reloading stuff"?  "Not to mention the parts you need to change just cuz!"

Archived