SASS Wire Forum

Grafs and Sons HAS some smokeless power BACK in stock, - Feb 11, 21

Warden Callaway

• Warden Callaway changed the title to Grafs and Sons HAS some smokeless power BACK in stock, - Feb 11, 21
5 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I just checked Natchez and the only powder in stock is Pyrodex.  See, shooters are smart enough to not buy that even in a pandemic.   :rolleyes:

When I got into this sport,  I went through my powder inventory and found a half-dozen bottles of Pyrodex - some partial full, some full.  I thought I used it all up with shotgun loads playing around.  A few months back I uncovered another bottle.  I'll have to figure out some use for it.  

I've used many, many pounds of Pyrodex P and RS with no Ill effects so if need be, I'll use more of it.  I just prefer the real stuff or in a pinch, 777.  For anyone on a budget, it's the least expensive available.

25 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

When I got into this sport,  I went through my powder inventory and found a half-dozen bottles of Pyrodex - some partial full, some full.  I thought I used it all up with shotgun loads playing around.  A few months back I uncovered another bottle.  I'll have to figure out some use for it.  

Shotgun??

45 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I haven't had any Pyrodex in years, but when people used to give me some, I'd use it for shotgun.  That is the easiest to clean.

That's what I used it up in.  I had a lot of experience with six shooters and lever guns, shooting and loading,   but practically no experience shooting shotguns and none loading.  I quickly acquired a Stoeger coach gun,  followed by a Stevens 311 and then PW87.  Shot a lot of milk jugs and laundry soap jugs. 

Pyrodex is a paradox.  Some use it exclusively and others don't want to be down range of the stuff.  But with powder in short supply, I'll use it up shooting jugs. 

Archived