SASS Wire Forum

Cap and Ball, Alternative ignition systems

El CupAJoe

I know I've seen some "nipples" for a muzzle loader hunting rifle that will let you screw in a 209 primer instead of using a musket cap.  Also Inline rifle systems that were never intended to work with a musket cap.  it would probably be cheaper to manufacture a black powder cylinder with a 209 hole instead of a removable nipple.  You'd have to have a modified hammer to make it work. I imagine it would give better ignition and no cap jams.  you'd have more options for primers than there are currently for caps and they'd probably be comparable in price or better priced.  has anyone heard of someone doing this or something similar using pistol or rifle primers?

Since this is a SASS Forum, I suspect this is not an approved firearm modification and would not be accepted for competition even if it did work.

1 hour ago, El CupAJoe said:

you'd have more options for primers than there are currently for caps

No options right now for EITHER caps or primers, for folks who failed to stock up.

Good luck, GJ

Yes in fact there is.  Your information is somewhat oversimplified however.  What ever "primer" you use must "back into" something and then be reseated.  Or it will fall out and jam the action.

A fellow SASS shooter in the UK, Alias "Palidin UK" built a special cylinder the utilized standard primers.  Haven't heard from him in years though.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Yes in fact there is.  Your information is somewhat oversimplified however.  What ever "primer" you use must "back into" something and then be reseated.  Or it will fall out and jam the action.

A fellow SASS shooter in the UK, Alias "Palidin UK" built a special cylinder the utilized standard primers.  Haven't heard from him in years though.

I think I saw where that is fairly widespread over there. As it is extremely hard to get to a point where you can own a cartridge handgun they can in fact own and shoot Cap and ball. They make new, stronger cylinders and shoot smokeless I believe.

What if we could take a brass tube, closed on one end, press fit a heavy duty cap into the base and insert powder and a projectile in the mouth end.  One could make these assemblies before loading them into the chamber.

Cool idea?

7 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

What if we could take a brass tube, closed on one end, press fit a heavy duty cap into the base and insert powder and a projectile in the mouth end.  One could make these assemblies before loading them into the chamber.

Cool idea?

Something like this you say.......It would probably never catch on.

7A7819B2-C664-4AE7-A254-3EF4085F68ED.jpeg

It's time  consuming, but not hard to reload primers. If you absolutely can't find any you can get by

Archived