SASS Wire Forum

PSA: Don't dry fire your Ruger Wranglers

C.N. Double

The Ruger manual says you can, but I experienced what seems to be a very common issue after dry firing one only about 50 times. Due to an apparently wide tolerance range, dry firing these could cause the firing pin to strike the face of the cylinder which creates a burr making it difficult or impossible to seat cartridges. 

I contacted Ruger after this affected one of my two Wranglers, and within 12 hours, they had responded stating they had shipped a new cylinder. So that's the good news. It also seems if you have been dry firing and have not encountered this issue, you are probably ok to keep doing it.

Here is a more detailed description of the exact issue I encountered: https://youtu.be/Wl0lf0RPAPs?t=84

0209211350a.jpg

I was taught as a youngster to never dry fire any 22 caliber firearm, handgun or rifle exactly for this reason.

Be careful with even with snap caps, drywall anchors, or spent brass. Don't let the firing pin hit the same spot on your sacrificial "cases" twice.

Once they have been hit and flattened at that spot, that spot no longer provides full protection.

I can get about a dozen strikes on a sacrificial "case" by indexing/clocking it before tossing it in the garbage.

Brownells carries a .22 chamber iron tool made for gunsmiths to fix up rim fire chambers that have been dry fired.  Has been a staple of their gunsmith line for at least 50 years.   Apparently, still needed to fix up the problem.  :lol:

Good luck, GJ

Hmmm, seems Brownells quit carrying this about 7 years ago.  So, see Midway - they have the same tool.

Never, ever, ever, dry fire any rimfire firearm even if they say it is acceptable.

The chamber is damaged and it takes a heavy toll on the firing pin. Yes it can be simply repaired but there is damage done.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007111192

I have always been a proponent of allowing buckaroo/buckerette to be allowed to insert a snap cap in the empty chamber to prevent damage to the firearm. As of yet, I have not been successful.

An interesting thing I found the other day while researching wrangler v Heritage. If you put the safety on, on the Heritage, it stops the hammer from going all the way forward, allowing it to be dry fired. This was NOT from Heritage, but another source.

6 hours ago, Dream Chaser, SASS #79316 said:

I got some of those yellow, I think #10, dry wall plastic things you use when hanging pictures so you screw in to them.  Obviously I do not remember what they are called.

Mollies?

On 2/9/2021 at 4:27 PM, Dream Chaser, SASS #79316 said:

I got some of those yellow, I think #10, dry wall plastic things you use when hanging pictures so you screw in to them.  Obviously I do not remember what they are called.

The are "hollow wall anchors":

0823118-23.jpg

Save the .22 brass that you’ve fired from that gun and use them as snap caps, just turn them a little each time. But it would be better to dry fire your center fire guns not your .22s. 

Remove the cylinder then replace the cylinder pin to practice/dry fire. I like the idea of using a plastic dummy during a match to lower the chance of damage if you have to "go around".

Archived