SASS Wire Forum

Two head scratchers

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

1.  A Smart Car with mini-off road tires, a brush guard with a winch, roof rack with four driving lights on the front, rear bumper bars with a trailer hitch, and a half size Jerry can on the rear.  Unusually useless, but sort of "cute".

2.  I don't drink much coffee, maybe a couple of cups a .  I got out my percolator, put is the water, assembled it and added some coffee before locking on the lid.  I turned on the stove and put the pot on the fire and turned to do something else.  I soon smelled smoke and realized it is / WAS an electric percolator and the base was on fire.  Made coffee in a sauce pan until I can get a new coffee maker.

15 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

1.  A Smart Car with mini-off road tires, a brush guard with a winch, roof rack with four driving lights on the front, rear bumper bars with a trailer hitch, and a half size Jerry can on the rear.  Unusually useless, but sort of "cute".

2.  I don't drink much coffee, maybe a couple of cups a .  I got out my percolator, put is the water, assembled it and added some coffee before locking on the lid.  I turned on the stove and put the pot on the fire and turned to do something else.  I soon smelled smoke and realized it is / WAS an electric percolator and the base was on fire.  Made coffee in a sauce pan until I can get a new coffee maker.

#1 - interesting

#2 - don't do that

Gave a friend my old perculator for their 5th wheel, in case the were non-hooked up with electric.

She came in the next morning...and told me she used it...kinda.

Her husband actually told the story.

She filled the water, put in the basket, lid on top. All good, right?

Nope....she put the coffee grinds on TOP of the lid!!!

41 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

A Smart Car with mini-off road tires, a brush guard with a winch, roof rack with four driving lights on the front, rear bumper bars with a trailer hitch, and a half size Jerry can on the rear.  Unusually useless, but sort of "cute".

Saw one like this not long ago. Tried to get a photo but he made a turn so I missed it. This one didn't have a winch or jerry can but it was lifted and had some mini aggressive off-road tires.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Saw one like this not long ago. Tried to get a photo but he made a turn so I missed it. This one didn't have a winch or jerry can but it was lifted and had some mini aggressive off-road tires.

Maybe it was the same guy on his way to get the winch installed.  That's easier to believe than there being 2 of those things running around. 

You gonna get another electric or go old school. I suggest the thrift store. They’re full of old school coffee pots. By the way did you say you couldn’t find Peet’s coffee? Store here has a bunch of it on sale.

I was without power for most of a week last month, made coffee by boiling water on the stove (propane burners) then pouring it through the basket from the Bunn resting on top of the coffee carafe. Then poured the coffee back into the pot and would heat it up on the stove when I wanted another cup. 

Worked okay.

Made me want to get a wood or pellet stove and some solar with batteries to run lights and internet and a hand pump for my dug well. Really wouldn't take a lot to be off the grid. 

Wouldn’t have happened to my uncle John.  Retired Master Chief boatswains mate. I think SD training center was where he retired. Anyway when my Aunt Pat died he shut off the gas because he would only use the electric percolator the rest of his life, always went to local restaurants to flirt with waitresses, once a sailor, always a sailor.

after he died three women called and said “he promised me his El Camino”. Once a sailor, always a sailor.

17 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I don't drink much coffee, maybe a couple of cups a .  I got out my percolator, put is the water, assembled it and added some coffee before locking on the lid.  I turned on the stove and put the pot on the fire and turned to do something else.  I soon smelled smoke and realized it is / WAS an electric percolator and the base was on fire.  Made coffee in a sauce pan until I can get a new coffee maker.

You have joined the ranks of people who need coffee so they'll be awake enough to make a pot of coffee

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Wouldn’t have happened to my uncle John.  Retired Master Chief boatswains mate. I think SD training center was where he retired. Anyway when my Aunt Pat died he shut off the gas because he would only use the electric percolator the rest of his life, always went to local restaurants to flirt with waitresses, once a sailor, always a sailor.

after he died three women called and said “he promised me his El Camino”. Once a sailor, always a sailor.

Sounds like he was butterfly. 

Any of the girls call looking for an air-conditioned Honda?

13 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

You gonna get another electric or go old school. I suggest the thrift store. They’re full of old school coffee pots. By the way did you say you couldn’t find Peet’s coffee? Store here has a bunch of it on sale.

Already got a new one (Amazon, $31.00, three days to my door.)

Also got looking around the house and found a Mr. Coffee, a French press, and a rapid water boiler (which might be ideal or soups, Ovaltine, or tea).

I recall the Mr. Coffee being used for de-caf that some visitors use, and the French press as an experiment that makes great coffee but is a PITA to set up for just a cup or two.

For a guy that doesn't drink much coffee, I'm over-potted.

21 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

#1 - interesting

#2 - don't do that

Yeah, what he said! :D 

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

For a guy that doesn't drink much coffee, I'm over-potted.

Think of it as "ready for any eventuality"... :D 

17 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Never heard of Peet's.  I prefer Farmer Brothers...and it appears that most restaurants around the western US do too.  I see their trucks everywhere but can't find in in stores.  On the other hand our selection of grocery stores is Fry's and Safeway, with a Sprouts down the road, and a Costco.

Archived