SASS Wire Forum

Military Balls

Chief Rick

Apparently Vietnam has had massive inflation. As I understand it, during the 60s, 100 dong was equal to a dollar, so one dong was equal to a penny.

The Marine ball, in Saigon, is $90 US, which should be 9000 dong, not two million one.

And why in the hell are they having it on the 16th? Your birthday party is supposed to be on your birthday, which would be the 10th.

This reminds me that in 1970, I was sent to a Navy communications school, for a some months, and they had a ball, with a big band orchestra, one Saturday night. It was an annual event. Back then, that location was also a basic training location for the Waves, or perhaps one of the locations, so we all had girls to talk to, and dance with. We wore our white uniforms, with the short sleeve shirts, and they wore the blue uniforms of basic training, dark blue pants, and a lighter blue shirt.  

But I do remember they referred to it as the "Spring Ball", and not a "dance". No alcohol, but food, and soft drinks, and music, and girls!!!

One of the better memories of being in the military, in that era. The rest...not so much.  

I won over Mrs. Tall Tale on our 4th date by taking her to what I described as the "Airman's Ball" but was in reality the "Outstanding Airman of the Year Banquet." I found out later that if I'd been honest about the actual title she would have told me no.

3 minutes ago, Moustache Les said:

Tall Tale Todd.....I'm a Clovis High alum, as is my wife.  Classes of '73 & '74.  We both went to the brand new campus out on Fowler.

Well, how about that! Whereabouts are you now?

A great number of military personnel have great big ones, God Bless them! :FlagAm:  

AFROTC Cadet Military Ball at Bradley University around 1964, we had Nancy Wilson perform for us!  Women's auxilliary was known as "Angel Flight".  That was before they admitted the ladies as cadets. 

Stay well and safe, Pards!

Archived