SASS Wire Forum

reloading die question....454 Casull

Bugler

Please refresh my memory, I have 45 Colt dies and have used them to reload 45 Schofield casings, Is there enough adjustment to also load the 454 Casull? Or do I need to obtain 454 Casull dies due to the much longer casing length?

Bugler

What @Chief Rick said^^^^^
The .45 Colt case length is 1.285”

The .454 Casull case length is 1.383”

If you adjust your depriming pin to protrude furthest out from your .45 Colt die you may get it to work depriming the case, but, like the chief said, you won’t get full resizing that you normally would. No case is really ever “fully” resized but in this instance there would be an extra 1/10th of an in not getting resized. 

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Have y'all tried this, or is this theory on your part?

Theory. Assumption based on experience. Logically one can assume that full length sizing will not occur. 

I use Redding 454 dies for my Casull. I use Redding dies for almost everything except  small pistol cartridges and 45-70. I use a Freedom Arms pistol with tight chambers so the full length resizing is needed. With dies for progressive presses the bell on the mouth is big and they don't resize the cases as far as normal single stage dies for similar cartridges.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Have y'all tried this, or is this theory on your part?

I easily reload my 454 brass with my RCBS 45 Colt dies.

I don't do theory if possible.

I didn't state he "couldn't", I stated he probably (or may not).

All dies are different.

I did not have good luck with the set of dies I had.

From looking at case dimensions, it looks like I could use my friends .460 S&W dies to load Casull casings?

Right or wrong

Bugler

45 minutes ago, Bugler said:

From looking at case dimensions, it looks like I could use my friends .460 S&W dies to load Casull casings?

Right or wrong

Bugler

Right

Howdy Bugler.

Depending  upon the die set, it IS possible to reload .454 ammo with .45 Colt dies and/or .460 dies.

If your individual die has enough room to set the lock ring correctly, there should be no reason why

you couldn't use .45 Colt dies.

1.  Resize/Deprime die:  If your die is hollowed out long enough internally, you should be able to use the same die without any adjustment.

AND..... you should be able to use the .460 die without any adjustments.

Expander die:  You can back the expander stem back out to the appropriate length to give you what you want for your case mouth.

Basically, if you have one of those 'spacer rings', just stick it on your die and you should be able to use it with no adjustments.

On the .460 die, you'll have to adjust the expander stem down to your preferred results.

Seat/Crimp die:  Using the 'spacer ring',  you should be able to use that die with no adjustments also for your crimp, assuming

it is giving you ample crimp.  With .454 Casull  stuff, you'll need to make sure your crimp is sufficient and you may have to make

ample adjustment to give tighter crimp.

I DO NOT know about the .460 crimp die being used for the .454 length case.  It is possible that the crimping 'edge' in the

.460 die is at a distance the .454 case mouth will reach it during the crimp process.

I've probably left out a couple technical stuff, unintentionally, but if ya want to call me, feel free:  865 / 696-1996

I'll be glad to make it 'clear as mud'..... :lol:

..........Widder

6 hours ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

I use Redding 454 dies for my Casull. I use Redding dies for almost everything except  small pistol cartridges and 45-70. I use a Freedom Arms pistol with tight chambers so the full length resizing is needed. With dies for progressive presses the bell on the mouth is big and they don't resize the cases as far as normal single stage dies for similar cartridges.

My .454 Casull is a FA.

No issues ever with the Dillon .45 Colt dies and  Lee .45 Colt FCD.

OLG 

Resizing should be no problem with a straight wall case. I have .357/.38 Spl and .40 S&W/10mm and .44mag/.44 spl 

die sets, all use the same sizer.  The little part right inside the opening is the only part that sizes, at least with carbide dies.

. Bottleneck cases would be another matter.

JHC

Archived