SASS Wire Forum

High school football

Alpo

Never played High School football. Never had any interest in it. But I'm curious about the teams.

Leave us say that as a junior I was on the varsity team. First string.

Come my senior year, would I have to try out for the team again, or would I automatically be a member?

No, you would not have to try out, again, for the team your senior year.

Here, if you were first string, and on the varsity, you would still be on the team, and first string. You would still go to football practice, and all that. Being a senior, you would have priority over anyone in a lower grade, since you are a senior, and since you were first string the year before. You would still be the starter, at your position, and would not have to "win your position" back. They may let you set out a few downs, if your team is ahead by a large margin, so the other guys, that are not first string, or seniors, can get some experience. Coaches, around here, anyway, are notorious about only playing the first string, and the experienced guys, as much as they can. The larger the score, against an opposing team, the better their statistics are, and the higher up the team is ranked on the State level. So beating someone 70 to nothing is, ideally, what they want. Around this State, high school football is more important that any other level of football. Many small towns only have a high school football team, and not junior or senior college team nearby. Friday nights are king around here.

There are still lots of fist-fights, after a game...especially if it is a big rival team, or if the game is close. 

W.K.  

Back in my day, everyone earned their spot.  It's a new year and everyone starts from scratch.

I might add that you also needed to work & follow team rules to keep your position.  My junior year I missed a Thursday practice (day before game) to go get my drivers license.  I thought I would be back in time.  Anyway, when I walked out on the practice field in my civvies the coach grabbed one of the other running backs and said "Here's tomorrows starting fullback". 

Nothing is given.

BS

I guess around here is different, than elsewhere. If one is a senior, one has priority. If one is first string, at a position, then unless they take up ballet, and quit the football program, they come back their senior year, and start, first string. They have the ability, and more important, the experience. 

If someone is better, that is in a lower grade, they will substitute him in for some plays to give him some experience, and to allow the senior to get a breather, but the senior gets the nod to start, and to be first string, since it is his last year. Here, it is not like college or pro ball...or...as it seems....like other locations. 

So...I guess the answer to your question is: it depends on where you are, and their philosophy of how to coach. 

In my personal experience, it was done this way. Obviously, others have had different personal experiences. 

A returning senior who started the year before would initially get the priority. The coaches know his ability; attitude and reliability for better or worse. But I haven't been around a team where the experienced player won't be replaced if another player steps up and plays better, harder, smarter.

A player can get complacent and slack off while another works hard, gets better and is now the better player.  They aren't playing t ball in high school, hopefully. 

I’m thinking it comes down to the coaching staffs philosophy’s . And possibly the school districts rules. Unfortunately sometimes these decisions can be political instead of merit based or trying to teach valuable life lessons 

18 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

No, you would not have to try out, again, for the team your senior year.

Here, if you were first string, and on the varsity, you would still be on the team, and first string. You would still go to football practice, and all that. Being a senior, you would have priority over anyone in a lower grade, since you are a senior, and since you were first string the year before. You would still be the starter, at your position, and would not have to "win your position" back. They may let you set out a few downs, if your team is ahead by a large margin, so the other guys, that are not first string, or seniors, can get some experience. Coaches, around here, anyway, are notorious about only playing the first string, and the experienced guys, as much as they can. The larger the score, against an opposing team, the better their statistics are, and the higher up the team is ranked on the State level. So beating someone 70 to nothing is, ideally, what they want. Around this State, high school football is more important that any other level of football. Many small towns only have a high school football team, and not junior or senior college team nearby. Friday nights are king around here.

There are still lots of fist-fights, after a game...especially if it is a big rival team, or if the game is close. 

W.K.  

What he said. 

ED: This  thread reminded me of a banner in the locker room, put up by the Coach. 

it read "EXPERIENCE IS A HARD TEACHER, IT GIVES THE TEST FIRST AND THE LESSON AFTERWARD"!

I recalled that so often when my body felt like a sack of cement on Saturday morning. 

ED #2: After rereading, I do have a few variations. Our school started practice a week or two before school started in the fall. I played the position of center. My Sophomore  year, I played varsity, starting center. My Junior year and senior year I also played varsity, starting center.  But in that two week workout before school started, the coach moved some players around to try them at various positions. I did some work outs at left and right guard, on offence, and center guard on defense. We played a T formation on offense and a 5-3-2-1 Defense. We pretty much played 60 minute ball.  

17 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It depends on the school.   The high school I went to made people had to earn their position.  

Our school was three years,  if a new sophomore could beat a returning first string senior he got the position. 

This one.....

Archived