SASS Wire Forum

Second match: Range report... Texas Ten Horns

The Hero of Canton

Well, things are going well for Gremlin and I.  Our second match as members was alot of fun.

Still shooting the BP cap and ball revolvers, a carbine 96, double barrel CG , and my 87 lever. 

Cap and ball vollys went far better than last time, but it rained and that started causing failures and mild reports. 

Calves foot on the walker hammers cleft helped flower the caps better. I have to remember to watch for, and tip to clear, caps that drop back into the hammer well.  Nipples need a PM every cycle especialy in wet conditions. Capping well that was ground in, worked wonders for seating caps. Debur of the internals smoothed out every aspect, and needle file reaming stock nipples solved the flash hole cakeing. ( I made a dead cyl by removing a nipple, and puting a bright dot of nail polish on the inside cyl as a visual indicator. Having a dedicated cyl simplified the handling.)

Gremlin got a all steel sheriff model remington. It needed alot of debur work, and still needs further adjusments. 

The 87 lever shotgun is working far better. Im failing it a bit. But the load 2 shoot 2 mod worked. 

I figured out my shotshells have to be out in front of my left hand holster. Reaching backwards and grabbing 2 puts them in the hand wrong for stack n push on the 87. Got some higher end shells at cabellas, bit more powder in em. They really show ya when you have only a partially pocketed stock. Ouch...

( Revolvers below the belt. I had to fasion drop down extentions to allow for my flap holsters to rest lower and vert. Rule being revolvers must be below the gunbelt. Worked out really well. )

My pull tab on my left hand flap holster was a brass ring. Nice, heavy, droop control.

Wrong. On one draw, my hammer hung on it, and stopped my draw.  That got removed. FLAW!

One of the members said I could unsnap the flaps for the stage. Good call. Will do that. 

Lever gun needs higher sights. New reloads run well. 

Gremlin needs to take the full choke out of his left barrel. Otherwise that coachgun is superb. 

Costume is good to go. Walking in spurs like you are in sneakers is dangerous. 

Things are good. 

Getting faster on my rehab and seating of the revolver cyls. Now I can start counting, brass pick up, or data entry for stages. Hate feeling like I'm too tied up getting reset to help on the line.  

So far so good. Want to do this when my hands are not wet or cold. 

( Gun cart 2.0 worked super well. And I have stage bags loaded with precounted shells. A super time saver.)

20210208_125421.jpg

20210208_083824.jpg

3 minutes ago, The Hero of Canton said:

Well, things are going well for Gremlin and I.  Our second match as members was alot of fun.

Still shooting the BC cap and ball revolvers, a carbine 96, double barrel CG , and my 87 lever. 

Cap and ball vollys went far better than last time, but it rained and that started causing failures and mild reports. 

Calves foot on the walker hammers cleft helped flower the primers better. I have to remember to watch for, and tip to clear, caps that drop back into the hammer well.  Nipples need a PM every cycle especialy in wet conditions. Capping well that was filed in, worked wonders for seating caps. Debur of the internals smoothed out every aspect, and needle file reaming stock nipples solved the flash hole cakeing. 

Gremlin got a all steel sheriff model remington. It needed alot of debur work, and still needs further adjusments. 

The 87 lever shotgun is working far better. Im failing it a bit. But the load 2 shoot 2 mod worked. 

I figured out my shotshells have to be out in front of my left hand holster. Reaching backwards and grabbing 2 puts them in the hand wrong for stack n push on the 87. Got some higher end shells at cabellas, bit more powder in em. They really show ya when you have only a partially pocketed stock. Ouch...

My pull tab on my left hand flap holster was a brass ring. Nice, heavy, droop control.

Wrong. On one draw, my hammer hung on it, and stopped my draw.  That got removed. FLAW!

One of the members said I could unsnap the flaps for the stage. Good call. Will do that. 

Lever gun needs higher sights. New reloads run well. 

Gremlin needs to take the full choke out of his left barrel. Otherwise that coachgun is superb. 

Costume is good to go. Walking in spurs like you are in sneakers is dangerous. 

Things are good. 

Getting faster on my rehab and seating of the revolver cyls. Now I can start counting, brass pick up, or data entry for stages. Hate feeling like I'm too tied up getting reset to help on the line.  

So far so good. Want to do this when my hands are not wet or cold. 

20210208_125421.jpg

20210208_083824.jpg

Suggestion...Capt. Baylor makes sure to work first...spot, brass...then after 5 or so, he then goes to his c&b table.

sounds like you're coming along nicely.  Remember to smile as you shoot--makes the targets wonder what's going to happen

if you're in the Magnolia area on 1st or 4th Sat of month stop by Thunder River and join in the fun here.  

Just giving a mental nod to the chess players. The knight moves in and among the other pieces, but can play thru them. 

Archived