SASS Wire Forum

Five C.S. Lewis Quotes.

Raylan

Excellent sayings and a brilliant Christian author.  

Another one of his quotes I wrote in the front of my Bible as a reminder:  "  We're not necessarily doubting that God will do His best for us, we are wondering how painful His best will turn out to be."  CS Lewis

He started out, and was at one time, an atheist. Later he became one of the major Christian apologists in recent times. He still is.

What changed him? He said (and I am paraphrasing) that one time he was pondering the evil and injustice that existed in the world.

Then it occurred to him...if there is no higher authority, then one person's opinion of evil and injustice, is equal to anyone else's opinion. That there is no set standard. If there is no higher authority, then there is no set standard of right and wrong. He thought how can I say something is evil, or wrong, if there is no higher power, or authority, outside humanity, to set those standards?  

Then torturing babies, for fun, may be considered wrong to someone, but okay to someone else, and both would be valid opinions. Yet, we all know that torturing babies for fun is wrong! If we are simply molecules in motion, where does the concept of right and wrong behavior come from? 

If we are simply molecules in motion, nothing is "right", nothing is "wrong", it is just my opinion, against someone else's opinion.

So...in effect, the nazi's murder of millions of men, women, and children, was a valid thing, if there is no higher authority to say otherwise. 

It is, again, the nazi's opinion against another opinion, and both are "equally valid".   

He therefore concluded that there is a higher authority, and he began to seek the answer to who that is. 

His book: "Mere Christianity", should be required reading for every believer, and to be fair, every potential believer, as well.

I guess that would largely depend on if someone is on a truth quest, or just on a happiness quest (by happiness quest, I mean do you read/believe/accept only those things that seem to agree with you). I suggest you go on a truth quest, and let the truth lead you where it will...even if it contradicts your present stance.  That's what C.S. Lewis did. 

He died on November 22, 1963...and his death was largely overlooked...because that was the same day that President Kennedy also died. 

Thanks Raylan, for the post. 

W.K. 

12 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

He started out, and was at one time, an atheist. Later he became one of the major Christian apologists in recent times. He still is.

What changed him? He said (and I am paraphrasing) that one time he was pondering the evil and injustice that existed in the world.

Then it occurred to him...if there is no higher authority, then one person's opinion of evil and injustice, is equal to anyone else's opinion. That there is no set standard. If there is no higher authority, then there is no set standard of right and wrong. He thought how can I say something is evil, or wrong, if there is no higher power, or authority, outside humanity, to set those standards?  

Then torturing babies, for fun, may be considered wrong to someone, but okay to someone else, and both would be valid opinions. Yet, we all know that torturing babies for fun is wrong! If we are simply molecules in motion, where does the concept of right and wrong behavior come from? 

If we are simply molecules in motion, nothing is "right", nothing is "wrong", it is just my opinion, against someone else's opinion.

So...in effect, the nazi's murder of millions of men, women, and children, was a valid thing, if there is no higher authority to say otherwise. 

It is, again, the nazi's opinion against another opinion, and both are "equally valid".   

He therefore concluded that there is a higher authority, and he began to seek the answer to who that is. 

His book: "Mere Christianity", should be required reading for every believer, and to be fair, every potential believer, as well.

I guess that would largely depend on if someone is on a truth quest, or just on a happiness quest (by happiness quest, I mean do you read/believe/accept only those things that seem to agree with you). I suggest you go on a truth quest, and let the truth lead you where it will...even if it contradicts your present stance.  That's what C.S. Lewis did. 

He died on November 22, 1963...and his death was largely overlooked...because that was the same day that President Kennedy also died. 

Thanks Raylan, for the post. 

W.K. 

I think I'll see if I can get that book.

Agree Waxahatchie Kid 100%!!!   He.has authored many books and I just finished an often overlooked book with him featuring his wife of very few years.  "C.S. Lewis had a wife" by William Peterson.

12 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Lewis wrote of his wife himself in "A Grief Observed".

I re-read many of his works from time to time. No matter how strong your faith, he never fails to strengthen it further.

I read “A Grief Observed” at a point in my life where I was very low and struggling with most aspects of my relationship with a Creator. 

That Mr Lewis, this great thinker and apologist, could struggle with his own relationship with God, brought me great comfort and freedom. 

Archived