SASS Wire Forum

Mormon Avengers

Whiskey Hicks

PLUS ONE for Alpo.  Also, in this day and age, most folks just call them "Snubbies."  And, in specific answer to your question, Why YES I HAVE.  Several.  Or . . . Many.  Also NO, there aren't any safety issues (don't point it at your foot).  Snubbies be FUNNER!!

IMG_0311.jpeg

I cut an 1860 down to 3 1/4" about 40 years ago.  Never put a front sight on it.  It was amazing, three feet of flame and a roar from hell.  If you shot someone it would cauterize the wound and a near miss would set fire to his clothes.

It was stolen many years back and I never replaced it.

Be careful about the stories you hear or read about the "Avenging Angels" aka "Danites".  I was raised in a Mormon family, some of the first permanent settlers in Cache Valley, Utah.  My kin rode with Port Rockwell, Bill Hickman, and that crowd against Johnston's Army before the Civil War.  They also thwarted the Marshalls who were sent to put down polygamy.

I have done a lot of study on the subject and there is some pretty convincing evidence that the Avenging Angels never existed as a real force.  A few men did take revenge on those who attacked the church, but mostly the legend was a "boogy man" who was blamed for every Gentile death from Saint Joseph to San Francisco.

15 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

There was aMovie with Tom Barringer . It was about the Avenging Angels .

it was only on once havent seen it since.

Tried to order the movie no luck . Must of made someone mad.

It is available on Amazon

9 hours ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Anyone ever have one or cut down one of your old cap guns to make one? Are there any safety concerns?

I was looking into some of the Mormon conflicts for a research topic I might be doing and came across Joseph Smith’s divinely appointed hitman. 

PM Prairie Dawg, he’s got a few of them and shoots matches with them. 

7 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE for Alpo.  Also, in this day and age, most folks just call them "Snubbies."  And, in specific answer to your question, Why YES I HAVE.  Several.  Or . . . Many.  Also NO, there aren't any safety issues (don't point it at your foot).  Snubbies be FUNNER!!

IMG_0311.jpeg

............. loading rams seem a little ..... awkward ......  :unsure:

6 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I cut an 1860 down to 3 1/4" about 40 years ago.  Never put a front sight on it.  It was amazing, three feet of flame and a roar from hell.  If you shot someone it would cauterize the wound and a near miss would set fire to his clothes.

It was stolen many years back and I never replaced it.

Be careful about the stories you hear or read about the "Avenging Angels" aka "Danites".  I was raised in a Mormon family, some of the first permanent settlers in Cache Valley, Utah.  My kin rode with Port Rockwell, Bill Hickman, and that crowd against Johnston's Army before the Civil War.  They also thwarted the Marshalls who were sent to put down polygamy.

I have done a lot of study on the subject and there is some pretty convincing evidence that the Avenging Angels never existed as a real force.  A few men did take revenge on those who attacked the church, but mostly the legend was a "boogy man" who was blamed for every Gentile death from Saint Joseph to San Francisco.

I honestly was thinking of Porter Rockwell. I had no inkling of the Danites until you mentioned them. Oddly the Wikipedia articles don’t cross-reference either of the two together.

I appreciate the information. So it sounds like a lot Satanic Panic style wild speculation about the Danites then?

37 minutes ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

I honestly was thinking of Porter Rockwell. I had no inkling of the Danites until you mentioned them. Oddly the Wikipedia articles don’t cross-reference either of the two together.

I appreciate the information. So it sounds like a lot Satanic Panic style wild speculation about the Danites then?

There was such a group, but they were few and counted on "vigilantes" and volunteers to fill in the gaps when more were needed.

I think the Mormons are the most misunderstood group of the 19th Century.  They were industrious, well organized, and founded hundreds of communities throughout the west.  They introduced ditch irrigation complete with aquaducts and dams, , had a thriving silk industry, installed the first  telegraph from up around Boise all the way down to present day Arizona, formed the Mormon Battalion to help the Union (and had a long standing record of the longest infantry march in history. It still may stand.) They were also instrumental in building the transcontinental railroad and the Golden Spike was driven at Promrntory Point UT, about 40 miles SW of my old home on May 10th, 1869

Then only pistols I've ever seen cut back to "Avenging Angels" were one belonging to Rockwell, a 2 3/4" Barrel 1860 and one that had belonged to Lee, a 3rd model Dragoon cut off flush at the front of the barrel lug.  None had "Lightning" rounded grips, no engraving, not any plating, nothing fancy and both were .44 caliber.

Archived