SASS Wire Forum

Thinking about the 60's....

Singin' Sue 71615

Most of us in the '50's and '60's were in families without a lot of money, but we still were raised right and had fun. There were few lawsuits. Today, there are more lawyers than bugs, everyone has more than one TV, morality has fallen more than a peg and people don't know how to have fun unless they spend money. I don't recall many obese kids back in the day and now it seems to be pretty common. Divorce was rare as was single parent households. We didn't have an alphabet to describe sexual orientation. 

In 1974 when i was in the Marine Corps. There was 6 of us in my car, a 1968 Plymouth Road Runner.

Leaving Jackson N. C. I was in the front seat middle. Wasn't in no condition to drive.

A cop pulled us over and asked if anyone was sober enuff to drive.

A guy in the back seat said he was.

If that was now days all of us would be in Jail.

17 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

The ‘60s was supposedly a time of free love and easy girls, but try as I might, I couldn’t find any.  Where were they?

In the 60's those girls were in the Haight Ashbury district of SF.  In the East Bay in the early 60's those girls "Seedy Sluts" were shunned.  The Pill liberated single girls.

1 hour ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

In 1974 when i was in the Marine Corps. There was 6 of us in my car, a 1968 Plymouth Road Runner.

Leaving Jackson N. C. I was in the front seat middle. Wasn't in no condition to drive.

A cop pulled us over and asked if anyone was sober enuff to drive.

A guy in the back seat said he was.

If that was now days all of us would be in Jail.

My first car was an oxidized '73 Fury III! 

What a tank!!!

On 2/7/2021 at 9:18 AM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I think every person over 50 has had some sort of lead introduced. How many baby's chew on their crib rails.

I've lived around lead and mercury all my life and there's nothing the matter with me with me with me with..........oh, LOOK!  A puppy.

Was in Nam. When I returned I was at the Oak Knoll Naval Hospital. I was in Haight Ashbury park the nite of all the excitement, saw police cars turned over in the street. A while later I was in Wahington DC working at a hotel and was there on the street for the moratorium, All of it seems bigger now than it did at the time.

kR

On 2/7/2021 at 9:34 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

The change of mindset started becoming very plain around 1966 or 1967.  A lot of it revolved around the anti-war protests (which, at first WERE peaceful protests).  It really snowballed after the 1968 Chicago riots.

ADDED:

You could possibly make a case for the change coming with the Watts Riots.

I’m going to say it had more to do with the 2 assassinations in 1968.

In Facebook, some one or thing  posted a couple of recent music video of The Seekers singing Georgy Girl and some other tune.  I felt very nostalgic as I hadn’t heard their tunes in decades.  As a matter of fact, when I started marching band in junior high school in 1971, we had to learn Georgy Girl because it wasn’t that difficult.  I learned to hate it, though playing it over and over.  But, seeing The Seekers recently rejoin to sing their hits at their advanced years, and mine, I enjoyed it.

19 minutes ago, South-Eye Ned said:

I’m going to say it had more to do with the 2 assassinations in 1968.

I will say that those definitely added fuel to the change, but I think that the fire had been lit and going nicely before those events.  

4 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

Was in Nam. When I returned I was at the Oak Knoll Naval Hospital. I was in Haight Ashbury park the nite of all the excitement, saw police cars turned over in the street. A while later I was in Wahington DC working at a hotel and was there on the street for the moratorium, All of it seems bigger now than it did at the time.

kR

Love ya KR!!

You earned my respect!!!

That was the Day. We could be trusted to be at home on our own.We had chores to do after school.

we always thought of ways to make spending money.Our mother bought us a Roto Tiller.Wewoud go around the area tilling yards & gardens.

We would make things & set up a booth in front of the local grocery store & sell them.We would get & sell the GRIT news paper.Cloverine Salve was a good seller.

Also had a paper route.We used our own imagination.

Largo

2 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

That was the Day. We could be trusted to be at home on our own.We had chores to do after school.

we always thought of ways to make spending money.Our mother bought us a Roto Tiller.Wewoud go around the area tilling yards & gardens.

We would make things & set up a booth in front of the local grocery store & sell them.We would get & sell the GRIT news paper.Cloverine Salve was a good seller.

Also had a paper route.We used our own imagination.

Largo

You mean that was you in front of Piggly Wiggly!:wub:

1 hour ago, largo casey #19191 said:

No Sue .Leons

Largo

Aha!!! Back then, Aztec and Bloomfield seemed like they were in a different state!:rolleyes:

I remember thinking..."If I go to Bloomfield and back, that is an easy $5 of gas!!!"

$5 bought a lot in those days!!!

1 hour ago, largo casey #19191 said:

My old pickup run good on DRIP.

Largo

Lucky my daddy didn't catch ya!!!

He was State Reservist...spent some time watchin' for drip Pirates!!

The Mary Wilson thread reminds me of this contrast: From Wikipedia: "...the Supremes were the most commercially successful of Motown's acts and are, to date, America's most successful vocal group with 12 number one singles on the Billboard Hot 100..."

The wonderful music that was Motown, has now descended into misogynist, cop-hating rap. :(

Archived