SASS Wire Forum

Army conversion

Bo Kidd

Can anyone tell me who makes this conversion?  It has a rear site made into the spacer. It’s a 38 spl.  Also I think this is a 1862 police “pony express” but not sure about that either??? I’m looking to find a match to it or figure out what I would have to buy to get another one. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The recoil shield with the sight looks like it might be a John Gren conversion. Usually he marked them,is there the name Gren or Spokane Washington anywhere (Usually on the barrel somewhere)? I think Dave Anderson (American Frontier Firearms) might have done some like this also but I think he marked them. Is the firing pin in the plate or on the hammer? 

7 minutes ago, Bo Kidd said:

Blackhawk Kid, there are no markings and the firing pin is in the plate.

Looking at a larger version of the image... That pistol started life as a Pietta 1861 or 1862, same pistol just different barrel lengths.  It was chopped and then the conversion done.  If you want a duplicate, of it, talk to Gary Lee Barnes at http://www.cartridgeconversion.com/  

PLUS ONE for McCandless.

Since it was built as a "one-off," finding an actual "mate" will be very difficult.  You may well get quite close with a Pietta 1851 and a Kirst Konverter.  If desired, also may be able to add an Ejector. 

On 2/7/2021 at 9:36 AM, Blackhawk Kid said:

The recoil shield with the sight looks like it might be a John Gren conversion. Usually he marked them,is there the name Gren or Spokane Washington anywhere (Usually on the barrel somewhere)? I think Dave Anderson (American Frontier Firearms) might have done some like this also but I think he marked them. Is the firing pin in the plate or on the hammer? 

It does look something like a Gren, though I don't think he did rear sights like that, mine has a notched hammer for a sight. Also, he marked his guns.

Archived