SASS Wire Forum

Then And Now

Subdeacon Joe

Some of you may recall my posts last October during the Glass Incident Fire. I  was out this morning taking April for her morning constitional. I  took a  few photos of the hills.  Some of the photos from October and the two I took today. 

20201011_104939.jpg

20201003_141446.jpg

20210206_103519.jpg

20210206_103510.jpg

20210206_101057.jpg

28 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Looks like it is coming back. Even grew a bird feeder. That California soil must be something else. Grows lettuce, gold and bird feeders. 

Lots of silica and iron. 

2 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Looks like it is coming back. Even grew a bird feeder. That California soil must be something else. Grows lettuce, gold and bird feeders. 

That photo is one I took hoping to get enough detail to identify the bird you can see above the carport.  It also is a nice shot of the hillside near where the high school kids put the class year. 

It will probably be amazing. Had a bad range fire some years ago near here. Year or two later the burned places looked like a golf course and that that didn't was brown dead weeds.

JHC

3 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

It will probably be amazing. Had a bad range fire some years ago near here. Year or two later the burned places looked like a golf course and that that didn't was brown dead weeds.

JHC

The Tubbs Fire came through a gap about 900 yards north of the last image in 2017.  Now you can't tell.

53 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

RE: the bird.............So that's what that white spot was:rolleyes::lol::blush:

Yep.  We saw it closer a bit later.  It's a Coopers Hawk. Just as it took its position in that photo all the Finches and Chicadees disappeared from the other feeders.  

The Hawk then took a perch in a pine tree near us.  After about 10 minutes the Finches etc.  were back at the feeders.   We heard a CLANG! as the Hawk hit a feeder in a try at a kill, then we saw it fly off.  I  don't know if it was  successful.  We have been seeing it more frequently so it must be having some success.   A few weeks ago we saw it dive into the bushes next to the unit across the sidewalk from us.

On a bird watching FB page someone had posted a photo of a hawk feeding on one of "her" little birds and commented "So sad. Nature can never so mean." I don't understand that mindset.   Nature is Nature.  It is violent,  it is territorial,  it isn't a Disney cartoon. 

Archived