SASS Wire Forum

Didn't know this

Eyesa Horg

I've been using SS tornado brushes for quite some time especially on my shotguns. This thread from another forum sure sounds like they are a bad, bad thing.

Thought I'd share--

https://www.shootersforum.com/threads/stainless-steel-spiral-brushes-danger.239286/

3 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've been using SS tornado brushes for quite some time especially on my shotguns. This thread from another forum sure sounds like they are a bad, bad thing.

Thought I'd share--

https://www.shootersforum.com/threads/stainless-steel-spiral-brushes-danger.239286/

I've heard the same thing over the years. I've been using the SS tornado brushes for a long time also. The SS brushes without the "loop" edges, I could possibly see hurting barrels. The major manufacturers haven't posted a warning about this supposed problem. I'm not convinced and I'm not going to stop using them. Thanks for the heads up though. To each, their own.

I have only used them on "sewer pipe" milsurps, so I cannot honestly speak to them harming a barrel. I cannot see a manufacturer making these without some serious legalese on the package to cover damage lawsuits.

Barrel is steel.

Use a solvent, and use a brush softer than the steel a barrel is made of.

I've been experimenting with the new nylon/plastic brushes, too much work. Going back to bronze. Bronze does contain some copper, so our solvents do damage them. I would rather go through a bunch of brushes than a bunch of barrels. I would rather swipe a bronze brush a few times instead of a nylon brush over and over and over again. Yes, the solvent is supposed to do the work but a strong enough brush really does help get the lead out. The nylon just can't do it for me.

I looked at the thread in the OP, and one of the cautions there was to not reverse the SS bruch while it is in the bore... Well, don't do that with bronze brushes either. All the way through, then reverse direction.

But bronze can't really damage steel to any significant degree, steel can damage steel.

When I use a brush I use the softest brush that will get the crud out. Since going to all hi tek coated bullets for any smokekess loads I've  only used bore snakes, nylon brushes or just regular patches. Haven't had leading problems at all. In the past I've used the copper chore boy strands wrapped on a brush to remove leading.

3 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

what is this "barrel cleaning" you speak of?

Barrel cleaning is done more frequently then neccessary by a lot of shooters. You can go a lot longer without cleaning shooting SASS targets before you'd notice a loss of performance.

8 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Barrel cleaning is done more frequently then neccessary by a lot of shooters. You can go a lot longer without cleaning shooting SASS targets before you'd notice a loss of performance.

I certainly don't clean a lot that's for sure. But, when I hit a stubborn barrel I have never thought twice to use the SS brush. I think I'll be a little more cautious just the same. I've sometimes reversed the brush while still in a pistol barrel as the brush is just a  hair too long.

Some of the posts in that thread sounded like horror stories, I thought it was hard to believe a commercially sold brush would damage a barrel that bad or fast.

The stainless may actually be soft , the Europeans make some pretty nice bullets with steel jackets . Some claim they wear less than copper . 
That’s said the tornado brushes have always given me the Heebe Geebies . I use a copper/bronze brush 

https://www.brenneke-ammunition.de/en/rifle-ammunition/tug/

I prefer Bronze brushes. I use them sparingly. In the rare occasion that I have some particular area where the Bronze wasn't  aggressive enough I might push a SS brush through. If the barrel was just full or lead I used the Otter's electronic lead remover. It is pretty amazing at how much stuff it will remove. After 20+ years of playing this game using BP/Subs, I switched to Smokeless powder and started using epoxy coated bullets. Fouling has become a problem that I no longer see.

Snakebite

Bask when I was a Deputy we used stainless bristle brushes to clean out Stainless S&W 66's. Used a toothbrush looking one in stainless to clean of the face of the cylinder. Didn't see any degradation of accuracy in the 5 years I had mine. Now I just bore snake most everything.

On 7.2.2021 at 1:07 AM, John Kloehr said:

I looked at the thread in the OP, and one of the cautions there was to not reverse the SS bruch while it is in the bore... Well, don't do that with bronze brushes either. All the way through, then reverse direction.

+1!!! 

On 7.2.2021 at 1:07 AM, John Kloehr said:

Barrel is steel.

Mine is hard chromed. While I don't know if that makes much of a difference I've used a SS spiral brush without any issues so far. 

On 2/6/2021 at 11:41 PM, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I agree, but I have to do it often in the summer here in the south. Summer humidity invites rust so my carry gets cleaned (and oiled) every couple weeks. It really does not need the cleaning as such, it needs the old oil removed and fresh oil applied. Would be almost a non-issue in the Colorado high country.

And in the summer, any firearm here which has been fired needs cleaning ASAP for that reason, to remove crud that can absorb moisture and to get fresh dry oil onto any rustable surfaces. but the barrel would shoot fine and be accurate far beyond the time when most folks clean them.

I have no personal experience  dealing with firearms in humid conditions. But I do know that you can have rust issues with high humidity.

I think we're mainly talking here about cleaning when you have actual leading or crud build up. Or cleaning when you think it's  starting  to affect your accuracy or reliability. Some clean after shooting whether it's needed or not.

Responses to this thread seem to be confusing Tornado brushes (A series of circles around the center shaft with no exposed points of bristles) with regular brushes, and rifle barrels with shotgun barrels.

Is there any danger using true Tornado brushes in Shotgun barrels?

Archived