SASS Wire Forum

Came upon a pair of 10/22 carbines. Price was right ($500 OTD for both), guns were used but not abused, one has a scope and while obviously uncleaned in a while were pretty tight.

Cleaned everything up as directed in owners manual, got them back together and back to the range. Good ejection, no problems feeding with about 5 different magazines and several types of ammo, pretty accurate.

Problem is the trigger pull is atrocious! Neither of them has what I would call a "crisp" break. Both behave as if there is something blocking the last 1/32" of trigger travel and you have to really squeeze to get the gun to go off.

Not sure if I should get a quality aftermarket trigger assembly ($230 + each) which is more than I paid for either gun, or take my chances at smoothing up the current trigger assembly.

Thoughts and wisdom from the collective Wire mind?

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

5 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Came upon a pair of 10/22 carbines. Price was right ($500 OTD for both), guns were used but not abused, one has a scope and while obviously uncleaned in a while were pretty tight.

Cleaned everything up as directed in owners manual, got them back together and back to the range. Good ejection, no problems feeding with about 5 different magazines and several types of ammo, pretty accurate.

Problem is the trigger pull is atrocious! Neither of them has what I would call a "crisp" break. Both behave as if there is something blocking the last 1/32" of trigger travel and you have to really squeeze to get the gun to go off.

Not sure if I should get a quality aftermarket trigger assembly ($230 + each) which is more than I paid for either gun, or take my chances at smoothing up the current trigger assembly.

Thoughts and wisdom from the collective Wire mind?

Regards

Gateway Kid

Following.

Shanley won one at Tbones a few years back. Still have not shot it!

Ruger BX triggers are decent for most of us plinkers but are unavailable everywhere right now....    The rest of the after market triggers are pretty spendy!!    There are some videos about tune ups and spring replacement that are not too bad       GW

Gateway , Ruger makes an upgraded trigger that is not bad. I forget what the part number/name is , but it cost about 85.00 when I bought one.

I also have a 10/22 with a Jard trigger , is is almost too much of a good thing.:lol:

Rex :D

I am too slow. It is the BX that I was mentioning.

Similar to Singin Sue. Have had one for a few years but have run only about 100 rounds thru it. My current one is styled after the M1 carbine and a decent gun but a second choice to some others. These were one of those impulse choices that everything came together (matched pair, good shape, payday!).

Goal is to have an accurate enough gun that can be used for 4H rimfire silhouette (rams, chickens, pigs in a reduced size). One of my part time things is 4H shooting sports and the idea of a precision shooting sport appeals to me. I thought that these would work as a good entry point to keep the kids motivated.

Regards

Gateway Kid

12 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Ruger BX triggers are decent for most of us plinkers but are unavailable everywhere right now....    The rest of the after market triggers are pretty spendy!!    There are some videos about tune ups and spring replacement that are not too bad       GW

Any videos in particular you would recommend?

Regards

Gateway Kid

7 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Gateway , Ruger makes an upgraded trigger that is not bad. I forget what the part number/name is , but it cost about 85.00 when I bought one.

I also have a 10/22 with a Jard trigger , is is almost too much of a good thing.:lol:

I am too slow. It is the BX that I was mentioning.

thanks Rex

Gateway

18 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

It depends on what you want to do with the rifles. You could but a Volq in the one that shoots best but it is a total waste to put a KIDD trigger in a factory 10/22.

Not planning on putting an expensive barrel on them, just need something that will hit a quarter-half dollar from prone at 50 yards or so.

Regards

Gateway

18 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Similar to Singin Sue. Have had one for a few years but have run only about 100 rounds thru it. My current one is styled after the M1 carbine and a decent gun but a second choice to some others. These were one of those impulse choices that everything came together (matched pair, good shape, payday!).

Goal is to have an accurate enough gun that can be used for 4H rimfire silhouette (rams, chickens, pigs in a reduced size). One of my part time things is 4H shooting sports and the idea of a precision shooting sport appeals to me. I thought that these would work as a good entry point to keep the kids motivated.

Regards

Gateway Kid

We haven't seen the 'yotes around as much as we have in the past...so I haven't had the need for the 'varmit' gun.

I love that you work with the kiddos!!!

Hug that purdy gal for me!!!

1 minute ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Hey Gateway , I just went on the Ruger web , looked up the BX , it showed if I put it in my cart , delivery would be 2/12/21 , so maybe they have some. 

Price was 89.95

Thanks so much. Will head there now

Gateway

I love the 10/22.. I do not think that anyone can own too many!
I would suggest that you take the trigger group out and soak it in a good solvent, scrub and then use a compressor to blow it clean. Then use a good light lube and reinstall. The rifle will work dirty as can be, but it will help to clean it.

Second suggestion is to polish the bolt. The bolt's movement is improved by this and follow up shots are better..

The BX trigger is worth the money, but be aware that it is a gateway drug.. you could be adding barrels, stocks, scopes and all the really cool add ons available for the 10/22.

14 minutes ago, Big Hext Finnigan, SASS #37671 said:

I love the 10/22.. I do not think that anyone can own too many!
I would suggest that you take the trigger group out and soak it in a good solvent, scrub and then use a compressor to blow it clean. Then use a good light lube and reinstall. The rifle will work dirty as can be, but it will help to clean it.

Second suggestion is to polish the bolt. The bolt's movement is improved by this and follow up shots are better..

The BX trigger is worth the money, but be aware that it is a gateway drug.. you could be adding barrels, stocks, scopes and all the really cool add ons available for the 10/22.

Kinda like 1873’s eh?   First a short stroke, then a super short stroke,  then the springs, then the carrier, and so on and so on!   

3 minutes ago, Not Dead Ed said:

Kinda like 1873’s eh?   First a short stroke, then a super short stroke,  then the springs, then the carrier, and so on and so on!   

You must be a better gunsmith than I.. I can do a little bit to the 10/22, etc.. but 73s need a magic touch

I can agree wirh the positve reviews for the BX Trigger from Ruger. It takes about 10 min to drop it and it is a huge improvement over the heavier factory trigger. I have two 10-22 s  that my son and I have used in Project Appleseed events. Our main upgrades to the rifles were the The BX triggers along with proper slings.  They bring the weight down between 2.5 to 3.5 lbs, and make attaining the challenging Rifleman patch much easier.    Other friends of mine have also upgraded with the BX trigger and all have been satisfied. I bought mine from Grabagun.com for under 55.00 each (2 years ago). Check there before you buy from others. Very good company.

11 minutes ago, Big Hext Finnigan, SASS #37671 said:

You must be a better gunsmith than I.. I can do a little bit to the 10/22, etc.. but 73s need a magic touch

A lot of patience is the ticket, a light hand on the file, and staying away from Dremel tools mostly, and a bit of mechanical aptitude and swapping parts isn’t too hard.  That and magnifying glasses for old eyes.    That and keep all the original stuff so if you really screw it up, you can put it back together as it was...   that and having some experience building AR’S  and milling 80% lowers before doesn’t hurt to build confidence.    

I would disassemble the factory trigger assemblies and clean up any rough edges then reassemble and try again if these guns are just plinkers...and they have the older trigger assemblies. 

19 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Look up Kidd.

Everything else is 2nd place.

OLG 

$250+ for a plinker? :wacko:

I don’t think so. 

I paid a local gunsmith a few bucks to work on mine.  Still using the factory trigger but now smooth enough for my needs.  It was a good inexpensive improvement.

Without reading the post above, here is my thoughts:

a Ruger BX trigger will serve you well, and you will probably like it.

A Volquartsen trigger will serve you VERY WELL and you will probably brag about it to your friends.

A KIDD trigger group should only be used in a good KIDD rifle.  They are, in my humble opinion, GREAT.

I have used all 3 of these triggers.  The KIDD is by far, the finest I have used.  They have their regular trigger, of which the

design is similar to other triggers, but the feel and function is superb.

I like the KIDD much better than the Volquartsen.

BUT, the KIDD 2-stage triggers are the cadillac of triggers.

I have 3 custom 10/22's and all of them have the KIDD trigger group.   Two of them use their regular trigger and one of them

uses the 2-stage trigger.   I had 4 custom 10/22's but TN Williams bought it off me.

I might add that its hard to beat any of the products that KIDD produces,  Although Fedderson sure does make a 

beautiful 'nickeled' style receiver, of which I use on one of my 10/22's.

Its a great way to spend stimulus money..... :D

..........Widder

Find a store with BX triggers in stock and pick the best.  The trigger is exposed for testing.  You'll notice they vary from trigger to trigger.

A half hour with some sand paper will make a big difference in the factory trigger.  

Volquartsen makes a good hammer kit for economy plinkers.  About $50.

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

A company is making a binary trigger too. Thinking about one.

Franklin Armory at $300.  I can state that binary triggers are fun.  I have an AR-15 lower with a Fostech ECHO II binary trigger.  I  bought the trigger right after the Las Vegas mass shooting.  At the time Franklin Armory's binary trigger had a issue with the shooter being able to out run the gun.  If you reset the trigger before the bolt was in battery the hammer would drop on the bolt before it was in battery.  Then you had to cycle the charging handle to cock the hammer.  The Fostech trigger has an interlock that works the same way as an auto-sear except the trigger won't drop until both the bolt is in battery & the trigger is rest.  The trigger requires a M-4/M-16 BCG.  In an AR it is hard to just do one double tap.  Unless you hold the rifle's but firmly against your shoulder while you lean into it the effect is the same as bump fire.  In a 10/22 I'd expect it to be easier to control.

Finally found a photo of my 10/22 results:  10 shot group over a rest at 50 feet, scope at 9X.  The German ammo was all the gun store had at the moment.  The rifle likes the expensive stuff!  :lol:

I can’t complain about the gunsmith’s trigger job.

122C54D2-5DA6-445F-9C8B-715530360B7F.jpeg.5e2dedc17f5fb78e71fc802173a5e6c8.jpeg 

Many years ago, I put a Jewel trigger into my Walmart K22 10/22. I also bought a cheap 4X scope for it that was on sale someplace (never expected to keep it on that rifle) and is is a very nice little rifle with those two additions. Would never sell it. Won't let my kids take it, either!

I got a Ruger BX 25 on sale for $59.99 a couple of years ago.  Polished the surfaces up a bit, and installed it.  Works great.  Yeah, it ain't a Kidd or a Volquartzen, but it is faster than I am.  

Thanks everyone for all your wisdom. Spent the last couple of hours surfing for cool 10/22 parts. Who knew there were so many upgrades that could be done. Coming in and looking over my shoulder at this thread and the web sites for neat stuff my wife is convinced I hang around with a bunch of folks who are leading me into yet another addiction.... 10/22 building!!! I think she may be right :P.

Ordered a pair of the BX triggers with the sexy red bang switch, two rails to mount a red dot on one and a better 1x4 on the other, extended mag releases. I feel like a whole new world has opened up for me. 
BTW you guys are in trouble with SWMBO :D:D:D.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Hey KID,

if you think YOU are in trouble, think about this:

I got THREE 10/22's.

Two of them are basically KIDD because the only part that is Ruger is the magazine.

The other 10/22 has a Ruger barrel that has been cut to 16.25",  Fedderson receiver, and the internals are KIDD (bolt, trigger, hammer, 

recoil spring/guide rod, cocking handle, recoil buffer, mag ejector, etc.....)

And to go even further,  I've 'tweaked' a couple pieces inside for smoother operations, including the slight angling of the bolt area

that cocks the hammer during recoil.   The whole system inside is really smooth and slick in functioning.

My 10/22's feel and function smoother than any of my Henry .22 rifles, which are about as fine as you can make em.

..........Widder

Archived