SASS Wire Forum

Line Shack

Subdeacon Joe

tSponsorm4rhoed  · 

Cowboys share a line shack in 1880. Before barbed wire was prevalent, cowboys needed line shacks to keep an eye on their herds over vast areas.
May be an image of one or more people and outdoors

6.5KYou and 6.5K others
87 Comments
1.4K Shares

Comment

27 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Good Lord,Joe!  I just spent the last hour and a half looking at these and I don't think I'm even halfway through them!

Great posting, thank you!

Yeah,  one or two good photos in there.

What struck me is how recent some of those are.   1920s and 1930s.  Not that long ago. 

As late as the Mid 1980s the Coldstream Ranch held twice yearly Cattle drives between summer grazing and back for Fall and Winter Range ...

The drive was about  60 miles with around 2,500 pairs ... and was done on horseback .... 

The fall gather on the Waldron is still done on horseback and takes 1-2 weeks ....

Jabez Cowboy

2 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

... nowadays they tend to drive them to market .... in big trucks .....   ;)

After they get the sheep out!

On 2/10/2021 at 6:08 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Castle Dale Saloon in Castle Dale, Utah. Five-cent beers and hard-drinking horses. 1905.

May be an image of standing

Pretty much still looks like that.  All them fella's still shoot now and then but lost track of the young lady second on the right but she never did drink much.  come on down and meet the gang.  Smudge (BP) match May 15th /  Annual Cowboy July 16-17 / BP Regional Sept. 11th.  Who knows you might have fun. 

Archived