SASS Wire Forum

Civil Defense

Subdeacon Joe

38 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And I'm told they're removing analog clocks from schools because kids can't read them.

That is why I have them hanging in my house....Granddaughter does know how to tell time with them...Besides I can look at it tell very quickly what the time is in Ibiza, Spain...Youngest daughter lives there...Easy for facetime calls....

Texas Lizard

50 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And I'm told they're removing analog clocks from schools because kids can't read them.

It’s sad, cursive writing also seems to be lost to technology. And I remember doing my math homework when I was a kid and my dad asking what are you going to do if you’re calculator breaks . He had a point , to really learn it you need to do it long hand , I remember thinking I had a ton of knowledge at my fingertips with the encyclopedia . 
Never imagined I’d have something better than Captain Kirk’s communicator 

27 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

It’s sad, cursive writing also seems to be lost to technology. And I remember doing my math homework when I was a kid and my dad asking what are you going to do if you’re calculator breaks . He had a point , to really learn it you need to do it long hand , I remember thinking I had a ton of knowledge at my fingertips with the encyclopedia . 

When I was doing my math homework, the closest thing to a calculator was an adding machine. Not exactly for home use.

Something like this: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnQudXERxtC-mKnvWLQuw2stFL8zsUvgzUIQ&usqp=CAU

4 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

When I was doing my math homework, the closest thing to a calculator was an adding machine. Not exactly for home use.

Something like this: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnQudXERxtC-mKnvWLQuw2stFL8zsUvgzUIQ&usqp=CAU

No slide rule ? 

I remember the duck and cover drills. We also had tornado drills, as well as the usual fire drills. I remember during the Cuban crisis, in the early 60's, a lot of our teachers were called up to active duty. The bomb shelter business was really going strong, at that time. A lot of folks were scared, and a lot of folks never thought that Russia would back down, like they did. A lot of the church's were full, and folks were worried. It dominated the news programs. 

The drills were not bad...it was a welcome break from the boredom of the classroom hum-drum. You know, I never realized how much gum was stuck under those desks, until we started doing those duck and cover drills. 

Some memories stick with you. 

W.K. 

17 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

When my youngest grandchild was 3, daughter, son-in-law and my wife were helping clean out my late mother's house. Taking a break, we went to the Museum of Science and Industry on Chicago's South Side.  We came upon a dial telephone exhibit.  My s-i-l had to show how it worked, as kid had never seen anything but a touchtone!  

Stay well and safe, Pards!

4 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

I have my Dad's slide rule somewhere. I never learned how to use one. 

I've got several, but have forgotten how to use most of the scales, except for multiplication and division!   Another thing about technology, is the Freiden calculators shown in the movie, "Hidden Figures", about the ladies who did the math for the Apollo missions.  When I was a junior and senior in high school (1958-1959), I worked as a summer hire for an aerospace firm, doing data reduction for ballistic actuated devices associated with ejection seats.  We used the same Frieden electro-mechanical calculators.  I noticed in the movie, however, that in spite of the actresses punching the buttons, they never hit the "Return" button to actually make the thing calculate! :lol:

On 2/6/2021 at 5:04 PM, Buckshot Bob said:

Good news is we will have a secret code that the youngsters don’t know. 
They don’t know Pig Latin either.

On 2/6/2021 at 9:00 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I remember the duck and cover drills. I thought they were fun. Yeah, I am odd. 

I also remember the Civil Defense shelters in my town with the yellow “CD” signs with arrows pointing you towards the shelter entrance. I remember in 3rd grade it was the first time I heard the test of the “air raid” siren. What an ominous sound that was. 

The day they tested it we had a “city wide” ( the town only had a few thousand people) test. All schools did “duck and cover” drills. We had literally just moved from Jefferson Pennsylvania to Waynesburg Pennsylvania. From a town of 1000 to a town of 5000. I thought to myself “What did my Dad get us into?” :lol:

It sounded like this. 

In Houston in the early 60s we had the siren tested every Friday at noon for a couple of seconds

As a student in Chemical Engineering at the University of Colorado/Boulder in the 60s, I did calculations on my K&E Log Log Duplex Decitrig slide rule like playing a violin, fractional exponentials, the whole shebang.   Still have it.  But not the skills.

sigh.

:(

Duck and cover drills in elementary school in the early 50s.  I don't remember any after 1953.  Of course, we were getting bathed in fallout from Nevada's tests by then.

:)

27 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

As a student in Chemical Engineering at the University of Colorado/Boulder in the 60s, I did calculations on my K&E Log Log Duplex Decitrig slide rule like playing a violin, fractional exponentials, the whole shebang.   Still have it.  But not the skills.

sigh.

:(

Duck and cover drills in elementary school in the early 50s.  I don't remember any after 1953.  Of course, we were getting bathed in fallout from Nevada's tests by then.

:)

That explains your glowing personality. :D

On 2/6/2021 at 5:12 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There was a house on the edge of our neighborhood in S. Florida that had been built long before the housing development went in sometime in the 70s. They had a hum with an air pipe. I never stopped to ask em about that.Water table there was about 6 feet so it would have been feasible.

i remember seeing the Hawk missile batteries set up in the farm fields around Homestead Air Base during the Cuban Crisis.

Anyone remember the Nike Ajax  /  Hercules missile sites.  I knew nothing about them till I moved to Texas 11 years ago.  At work we were using repurposed target track pedestals to hold a completely different sets of antennas. We did however have one pedestal that still has the original Fresnel lens antenna. Sadly it got scrapped a few years ago along with the 2 others we were still using.

Anyway the Nike system was set up around major cities to protect them from Soviet bombers. The base of one is still visible outside Terrell Tx. One of the most closely guarded secrets of that era is that the Hercules missiles were nuclear capable and were equipped with nuclear anti-aircraft missiles. Idea being that one missile could take out several bombers. 

Wonder where they thought all the fallout was going to go?

Below is a map showing their locations.

http://ed-thelen.org/pics/NikeMapUS.jpg

i did the duck and cover - i never really believed in that any more than i believed the nuns knew what we were thinking ....they always thought we were thinking worse than we really were , 

i went to college with a slide rule - nice one too , and i could run it  - ended up having to buy a calculator half way through because of the changes , never have known if i had a 'good one' since , 

now im typing [i got a D in typing] on a computer thats probably outdated but running a current operating system , 

i would be very vocal against a duck and cover regime in my childrens schools today as stupid and worthless but have been silent on all of the other indoctrination they have gotten [that we might have rejected in the past] ..........what does that say of me ? 

luckily what my kids were given at home over road what they were fed at school and they are doing the same for my grandchildren , yet i wonder what they are being fed daily ? 

On 2/7/2021 at 9:43 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Anyone remember the Nike Ajax  /  Hercules missile sites.  I knew nothing about them till I moved to Texas 11 years ago.  At work we were using repurposed target track pedestals to hold a completely different sets of antennas. We did however have one pedestal that still has the original Fresnel lens antenna. Sadly it got scrapped a few years ago along with the 2 others we were still using.

Anyway the Nike system was set up around major cities to protect them from Soviet bombers. The base of one is still visible outside Terrell Tx. One of the most closely guarded secrets of that era is that the Hercules missiles were nuclear capable and were equipped with nuclear anti-aircraft missiles. Idea being that one missile could take out several bombers. 

Wonder where they thought all the fallout was going to go?

Below is a map showing their locations.

http://ed-thelen.org/pics/NikeMapUS.jpg

Supported ten Nike-Hercules and ten HAWK sites on Okinawa in 1966-1967.

Archived