SASS Wire Forum

A sad day..,

My parents live in rural southern Ohio. In the last 10 years their area has seen an influx of old order Mennonite families who have formed a new community. These are all solid people who anyone would be grateful to have as neighbors. My mom is the kind of person who never met a stranger and such has become good friends with them, even though she and Dad are considered outsiders.

I’ve met many of them on visits. The children find it odd and amusing that an outsider speaks their native language, German. 

On Tuesday of this week, an 18 year old local kid was driving a car too fast and hit a buggy. The Buggy driver was careflighted out but died that night. The horse had to be put down. 

Scott leaves behind a wife, Miriam, and eight kids. I knew them well and am sick at the moment. Scott was not born Mennonite, and was an engineer like me.  While  working in the Philippines he met Miriam. After a few years of marriage they were seeking a more simple and “grounded” life, which led them to join the Mennonites.

I am sick with sadness at the moment. 

https://highlandcountypress.com/Content/In-The-News/In-The-News/Article/Highland-County-man-dies-from-injuries-sustained-in-U-S-62-crash/2/20/64339

Charlie,

Our sincerest condolences on the loss of your friend.

Prayers heading up for you and his family.

Eyesa & Ellie

I was sorry to hear this. Condolences to you and the family for their loss. Losing a friend is saddening.

So sorry to hear of this. You have my most sincere condolences.

One of the highlights of my life was the relationships we had with out local Mennonite community. As outsiders to them they did not really integrate into our town but over about 15 years my wife and I were tolerated by the majority. Not really a "cryer" but when we closed our business a group of about 40 came to our last night and brought us dinner and stories of how we had always treated them with respect for their religion and their families.

Had to go to a back room for about 10 minutes to let the tears fall.

Truly a remarkable people.

Respectfully

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Every vehicular homicide is devastating to so many. The area I live there is a lot of Mennonite and have had many great conversations. Condolences to all.

There were a lot of those fine folks in the counties I worked in Illinois. Had one of their leather makers, who did saddles and harnesses make me a gun belt once out of harness leather. That duty belt survived many years of hard service.

I live in a Amish community and it always pisses me off when outsiders fail to take into account that there are buggies and families on the roads. They were here first give them their space and privacy. The Amish are proud people and only ask for respect. They have been taken advantage of so many times that they distrust the “English” Once they know that you can be trusted they are wonderful people who will do anything for you.

My heart breaks for the family but the community will surround them with love and security 

Archived