SASS Wire Forum

Anyone use Vectan (Nobel Sport) powder?

Jack Spade

With reloading supplies being kind of hard to come by my local shop has found a supplier that has Vectan powder.  Have any of you ever used it?  How do you like it?  I looked up the load data for Ba9  and decided to try some in some 45 acp I was loading for wild bunch.  Their starting load called for 5.1 grains with a 200 gr lead swc bullet and said it would shoot at 826 fps.  I thought I would try some at 5.0 grains and see where they chronographed and go from there.  The load data said they were shot from a standard 1911.  Well I took my loads to the range yesterday and 5.0 grains wouldn't even cycle the gun.   Averaged about 580 fps.  I will say even at that low velocity the powder burned very clean.  I am going to go to 5.5 grains and see what happens.  The stated max load was 6.3 grains at 918 fps. 

When powder was hard to find a couple of years ago I got some Vectan Prima V for my shotgun loads and it worked just fine.

I posted in the original post that I am using Ba9.  Thanks for your input. 

I didn't know about quickLOAD, I will look it up.  I really like the way the Ba9 flows through the powder measure.  My store has quite a bit in stock but no Ba10 yet. 

Archived