SASS Wire Forum

EOT Stories, Let’s Hear Them

Yul Lose

With the 40th anniversary of EOT I thought it might be entertaining to share some EOT adventures. I’ll get it started and add some more later on but don’t be afraid to tell us yours.

My first EOT was in 2007 and I believe that was the second year for EOT at Founders Ranch, I may be a year or two off on that. Anyway my first job was to man the station at the split where the road to the vendor area and mounted arena takes off. I was supposed to insure that only vendors and mounted shooters use that road and that all main match participants were directed down to the big parking lot at the bottom of the hill. Since I was technically part of the parking crew I was assigned a small handheld radio to communicate with other parking personnel. Things were going pretty well until nature called and I had to use the blue room a short distance away. As I was rearranging my period correct attire the handheld radio did a double back flip out of my vest pocket into the sludge in the bottom of the blue room. 

Decisions, decisions, that was an easy one, so I returned to my post. Not long after that my boss, Night Hunter pulled up in his Ez Go golf cart and asked me why I wasn’t answering my radio and I broke the news to him and he wasn’t happy. He disappeared for a bit and came back with another Waddy, Gimp Leg Dick to take my place. He told me to get in the cart and that we were going for a ride. Many of you EOT attendees can attest to how long it takes to get from the Y in the road at the mounted road cutoff up to the main gate where the greeters are by golf cart, not a rapid trip by any means especially when you’re getting your butt chewed by an ex cop who acts like you had just killed someone for not diving into the blue room goo to retrieve your dropped personal communications device.

I finally got up to the gate and was introduce to Green Bay who was manning the gate. Night Hunter told Green Bay that he wanted me up there because it was the farthest away he could stick me so .that he wouldn’t have to have anything to do with me. Well little did he know but that was absolutely the best thing that ever happened to me at EOT!!! Up at the gate I learned real fast that you get to talk to everybody, and I do love to talk and you get to meet ALL of the world famous CAS shooters as they come and go. I loved gate duty so much that every EOT I’ve attended since then I man the gate. In my opinion it’s the best EOT Waddy job there is. Night Hunter was still so mad at me that when he came by the last Sunday he told Green Bay that my gun cart won Best Gun Cart but wouldn’t tell me and I was standing 10 feet away.

Now it’s your turn tell us a story.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On one stage there was a swinging, hostage target.  With a bit of bravado I told the posse I was going to knock the target over.  It was poorly balanced and I really did knock it over!  Also, one of the plastic wads from my black powder shotgun shells was stuck burning on a shotgun target.  This established my warthog credentials for that EOT.

3 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

There was this one year I was STUCK on gate duty...cause some ya-who wasn't comin'!!!

I can't tell you how many times I had to explain what I did to Yul Lose!!!:wub:

You didn’t really want to be up there, did you?:P

I'm sure you will remember the year I arrived in my 39ft toyhauler being towed in by a wrecker. I still believe I'm the only one to have ever done that!! And then lost my gen set to boot. I loved being a "Waddie" that year.

33 minutes ago, Capt Stephen D Hill, SASS #56151 said:

I'm sure you will remember the year I arrived in my 39ft toyhauler being towed in by a wrecker. I still believe I'm the only one to have ever done that!! And then lost my gen set to boot. I loved being a "Waddie" that year.

It looked like a caravan coming through.

12 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

With the 40th anniversary of EOT I thought it might be entertaining to share some EOT adventures. I’ll get it started and add some more later on but don’t be afraid to tell us yours.

My first EOT was in 2007 and I believe that was the second year for EOT at Founders Ranch, I may be a year or two off on that. Anyway my first job was to man the station at the split where the road to the vendor area and mounted arena takes off. I was supposed to insure that only vendors and mounted shooters use that road and that all main match participants were directed down to the big parking lot at the bottom of the hill. Since I was technically part of the parking crew I was assigned a small handheld radio to communicate with other parking personnel. Things were going pretty well until nature called and I had to use the blue room a short distance away. As I was rearranging my period correct attire the handheld radio did a double back flip out of my vest pocket into the sludge in the bottom of the blue room. 

Decisions, decisions, that was an easy one, so I returned to my post. Not long after that my boss, Night Hunter pulled up in his Ez Go golf cart and asked me why I wasn’t answering my radio and I broke the news to him and he wasn’t happy. He disappeared for a bit and came back with another Waddy, Gimp Leg Dick to take my place. He told me to get in the cart and that we were going for a ride. Many of you EOT attendees can attest to how long it takes to get from the Y in the road at the mounted road cutoff up to the main gate where the greeters are by golf cart, not a rapid trip by any means especially when you’re getting your butt chewed by an ex cop who acts like you had just killed someone for not diving into the blue room goo to retrieve your dropped personal communications device.

I finally got up to the gate and was introduce to Green Bay who was manning the gate. Night Hunter told Green Bay that he wanted me up there because it was the farthest away he could stick me so .that he wouldn’t have to have anything to do with me. Well little did he know but that was absolutely the best thing that ever happened to me at EOT!!! Up at the gate I learned real fast that you get to talk to everybody, and I do love to talk and you get to meet ALL of the world famous CAS shooters as they come and go. I loved gate duty so much that every EOT I’ve attended since then I man the gate. In my opinion it’s the best EOT Waddy job there is. Night Hunter was still so mad at me that when he came by the last Sunday he told Green Bay that my gun cart won Best Gun Cart but wouldn’t tell me and I was standing 10 feet away.

Now it’s your turn tell us a story.

First year at FR was 2005. Belle and I were married there. I had a little monkey on my back and was wearing a 16 pound bowling ball attached to my leg with a logging chain. It'll be 16 years this April 27th.

6 minutes ago, Assassin said:

First year at FR was 2005. Belle and I were married there. I had a little monkey on my back and was wearing a 16 pound bowling ball attached yo my leg with a logging chain. It'll be 16 years this April 27th.

Is that the year it rained so much and a lot of people got stuck?

:ph34r:  Year was 2012 and Goode and I were eating a great lunch and enjoying one of those HUGE sarsaparillas in the center of town.  Table space was sparse, with lots of others eating also, and enjoying the shade of the canopy.  A nice couple asked if they could join us and we enjoyed their company.  During the conversation, the lady

mentioned they liked everything except the humidity level.

Now, we live in mostly single-digit humidity in the Western Mojave Desert at 2250 feet elevation, and thought Founders Ranch was HUMID!  And I was just about to mention how we were struggling with the thickness of the air when she said they were from Louisiana and their skin was drying out, lips and cuticles cracking, nostrils bleeding and they were experiencing difficulty sleeping.

Glad to have been a bit slow to speak that time.......:D

9 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

The first year at FR was in April, there was a light dusting of snow and the WB thought it was a blizzard.

I still got a BULLET stuck in my hat.Dont know where it came from but I'm sure glad I had it.It sure would have put a crease above my left ear.

Largo

In 2018, we met a wonderful couple from Australlia. They were in their 80's, and the trip to EOT/US was a gift from their son.

Now, they went to shoot at RGR the weekend before the match...and the woman was so distraught. They had issues with the ammo her hubby loaded, and a couple of squibs! They were going to NOT shoot the match.

Shanley took their ammo home, broke down the rounds, and reloaded for the match.

What transpired while he was still gone loading ammo and a store run was...

his name was called for the Regulator Award!!!

Many asked me where he was...and I said "earning that Regulator badge, of course!"

My first and only EOT was 2006. It was the chance of a lifetime. I went with Badlands Bud (my posse marshal) and his family. We were matched up with T-Bone Dooley's posse. It doesn't get any better than that.

I went to Sawyer's Shooting School. Unfortunately, after that he decided to prank me by becoming the alias I gave him on the SASS Wire. You will still see it under his SASS alias.

Capt. George Baylor put my photo in his blog, in my underwear, and dubbed me "The Queen of the SASS Wire."

Unfortunately, I hadn't fully recovered from wrist surgery and had to lever my guns with my thumb.

All in all, it was a wonderful time.

AM Undies and SG at EOT copy.jpg

5 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

My first and only EOT was 2006. It was the chance of a lifetime. I went with Badlands Bud (my posse marshal) and his family. We were matched up with T-Bone Dooley's posse. It doesn't get any better than that.

I went to Sawyer's Shooting School. Unfortunately, after that he decided to prank me by becoming the alias I gave him on the SASS Wire. You will still see it under his SASS alias.

Capt. George Baylor took my photo, in my underwear, and dubbed me "The Queen of the SASS Wire."

Unfortunately, I hadn't fully recovered from wrist surgery and had to lever my guns with my thumb.

All in all, it was a wonderful time.

AM Undies and SG at EOT copy.jpg

I enjoyed meeting Sawyer!! I recieved a Sawyer Shooting School certificate (still have it) not from attending...but for surviving all the SASS shooters!!!

We owned Jenks Cafe that first year!!! That was our introduction to SASS and CAS....what a great time we had that week!!!

Well, this year they will be no manure berms to catch fire or a thousand flies per table or numerous dust devils or altitude illness     But, still the same amount of fun and cheese for the whines!!  Gonna be a good time 

7 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

Well, this year they will be no manure berms to catch fire or a thousand flies per table or numerous dust devils or altitude illness     But, still the same amount of fun and cheese for the whines!!  Gonna be a good time 

Hey!!!

No flies at my table!!!

And I pampered you pretty darn good when you got sick!!! Had a fun night watching A Cook, A Ranger and A Hole In The Sky!!!

I think we had 8 for movie night and company!!!

13 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

On one stage there was a swinging, hostage target.  With a bit of bravado I told the posse I was going to knock the target over.  It was poorly balanced and I really did knock it over!  Also, one of the plastic wads from my black powder shotgun shells was stuck burning on a shotgun target.  This established my warthog credentials for that EOT.

I so want to stick a burning wad to a target!!:D I have seen burning felt wads from C&B pistol go down range and that was pretty funny.

19 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

yes

YL,

You remember the year in CA, 2003 I believe, that the fellow from Washington state, I think, drove in as most had left or leaving.  He had taken off work and ready for EOT, problem was he was a week late.  True story.....and I was the one to break the news to him, although I bet with lack of RVs there he was getting a funny feeling inside.

bb

Here's a sad story for those who want to shed a tear.  The year was 2006.

My late wife ,Miss Ann, loved Founder's Ranch and we had stayed there a number of time when there was not a match there.  We saw it when shooting area was mostly a thought.  Anyway she had gotten a promising Pet scan results early in year and felt great at Winter Range in February.  As so often the case with cancer, things can change quickly, by June she was weak and using a walker, but she wanted to go to EOT.  Although not a shooter, she loved so many folks within SASS, from members of Wild Bunch to hundreds of shooters.  I know she knew she would never have opportunity to see it again.  (With tears in my eyes I go on with this.)  Cindy and Fred (Goatneck) had taken a cart to drive her around in and Coyote Calhoun had given us a front row RV spot (though we were Founder's Club members).  We got her to opening ceremony and she sat until about worn out and Judge was about to give an award to some out-of-country shooters as we pushed away from table.  Hipshot and/or Chiseler saw this and came over and asked if we could stay just a little longer.  We did and someone whispered something to the Judge who put the other award on hold and he went right into a speech regarding The True Grit Award.  When he introduced Miss Ann I can't describe the feeling she, or I, felt.  But when she struggled forward with her walker and I believe every single person there on their feet, well you can imagine.  One would have to be strong in emotions to keep a dry eye to such a spectacle.   It was so captivating for her and still is to me.  She was given a nice bronze representing the award that night and Sassy and I have the big bronze Rooster Cogburn bust Hipshot presented to me in 2007 at Winter Range on display in our living room to this day. 

It was pouring down ran when we left on Sunday after competition awards so perhaps it was with a little help from God to give  distraction for the moment to relieve us both of the thought that she would not be back.  I placed her in the hospital about a day after we returned home.  Miss Ann passed away on July 12, 2006.  On her marker it reads:

LOVING AND DEVOTED TO HUSBAND, FAMILY, AND FRIENDS

A COURAGEOUS, VIBRANT WOMAN WHO WAS THANKFUL FOR GOD’S BLESSINGS

MISS ANN WAS A LADY OF TRUE GRIT.

26 minutes ago, Geronimo Jim SASS # 21775 said:

I heard a story about a cowboy who had empty pistols and rifle on first stage.  Unfortunately  shot the shotgun first!

Is that a true story?

Hell’s Comin and I ask him if he brought bullets every time I see him.:P

59 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

YL,

You remember the year in CA, 2003 I believe, that the fellow from Washington state, I think, drove in as most had left or leaving.  He had taken off work and ready for EOT, problem was he was a week late.  True story.....and I was the one to break the news to him, although I bet with lack of RVs there he was getting a funny feeling inside.

bb

That was before my time. Bet he never did that again.

1 hour ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

YL,

bb

We had one come a week early from CA in 2017...but he was able to go see friends and still come back for the match.

1 hour ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Here's a sad story for those who want to shed a tear.  The year was 2006.

My late wife ,Miss Ann, loved Founder's Ranch and we had stayed there a number of time when there was not a match there.  We saw it when shooting area was mostly a thought.  Anyway she had gotten a promising Pet scan results early in year and felt great at Winter Range in February.  As so often the case with cancer, things can change quickly, by June she was weak and using a walker, but she wanted to go to EOT.  Although not a shooter, she loved so many folks within SASS, from members of Wild Bunch to hundreds of shooters.  I know she knew she would never have opportunity to see it again.  (With tears in my eyes I go on with this.)  Cindy and Fred (Goatneck) had taken a cart to drive her around in and Coyote Calhoun had given us a front row RV spot (though we were Founder's Club members).  We got her to opening ceremony and she sat until about worn out and Judge was about to give an award to some out-of-country shooters as we pushed away from table.  Hipshot and/or Chiseler saw this and came over and asked if we could stay just a little longer.  We did and someone whispered something to the Judge who put the other award on hold and he went right into a speech regarding The True Grit Award.  When he introduced Miss Ann I can't describe the feeling she, or I, felt.  But when she struggled forward with her walker and I believe every single person there on their feet, well you can imagine.  One would have to be strong in emotions to keep a dry eye to such a spectacle.   It was so captivating for her and still is to me.  She was given a nice bronze representing the award that night and Sassy and I have the big bronze Rooster Cogburn bust Hipshot presented to me in 2007 at Winter Range on display in our living room to this day. 

It was pouring down ran when we left on Sunday after competition awards so perhaps it was with a little help from God to give  distraction for the moment to relieve us both of the thought that she would not be back.  I placed her in the hospital about a day after we returned home.  Miss Ann passed away on July 12, 2006.  On her marker it reads:

LOVING AND DEVOTED TO HUSBAND, FAMILY, AND FRIENDS

A COURAGEOUS, VIBRANT WOMAN WHO WAS THANKFUL FOR GOD’S BLESSINGS

MISS ANN WAS A LADY OF TRUE GRIT.

I wish I'd known your Miss Ann. Your story brings tears to my eyes. I'm so glad she was honored by the Wild Bunch.

General U.S. Grant (RIP) was one of the Wild Bunch and owner of EMF firearms. He loved to shoot the sporting clays over next door at the shotgun sports range. He’d always stop by on the way through to visit and on the way back in after shooting a round would stop and tell us how he did. He drove a gray or silver suburban and had a personalized SASS license plate on the back of the vehicle. Most of you who have been to EOT remember the pieces of blue painters tape that I’d hand out so that you could display your parking pass in the windshield while you were on the ranch. The parking pass was important for us to see when it got busy and we had to separate out public paid parking attendees from shooters. If we could see the pass we could wave you right through and it really sped things up when we had a lot of public coming in on main match Friday and Saturday. We had to route the public onto a little road to a parking kiosk so they could pay for parking. 

Well in New Mexico there are probably about a million or so gray or silver suburbans. It got really busy one morning and I was short on help and directing a lot of public traffic over to the parking kiosk and this silver or gray suburban came through without a parking pass displayed so I cut it over to the parking kiosk and as it turned I noticed the personalized single digit SASS license plate on the back bumper. I knew immediately that I’d screwed up and tried calling the parking people on my radio but for some reason they had their own privacy code on the radio and couldn’t hear me. I got ahold of Walamet Kid who was one of the security people and asked if he was up there at parking and he told me that he was down in town. Well a few hours later Tex came through in his way home and he stopped and rolled down his window and said  Yul, you really know how to make people mad, don’t you?” I said you mean the General? And he said yes that the General was pretty P.O.d about being asked for the money to park on his own ranch.

The next day the General came through and we had a good laugh about it, I didn’t do it again.

15 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

In 2018, we met a wonderful couple from Australlia. They were in their 80's, and the trip to EOT/US was a gift from their son.

Now, they went to shoot at RGR the weekend before the match...and the woman was so distraught. They had issues with the ammo her hubby loaded, and a couple of squibs! They were going to NOT shoot the match.

Shanley took their ammo home, broke down the rounds, and reloaded for the match.

What transpired while he was still gone loading ammo and a store run was...

his name was called for the Regulator Award!!!

Many asked me where he was...and I said "earning that Regulator badge, of course!"

Howdy Sue

I'm guessing that was Mrs Mac & her hubby ..not sure what alias he would have used..they went over with Robb & Co  & Katie Younger..FYI we just lost our oldest lady shooter 2 weeks ago aged 93

Cheers 'Mohawk

14 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

YL,

bb

I know that Pard!
He still shoots and has never been late for another match! 

14 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

...Well a few hours later Tex came through in his way home and he stopped and rolled down his window and said  Yul, you really know how to make people mad, don’t you?” I said you mean the General? And he said yes that the General was pretty P.O.d about being asked for the money to park on his own ranch...

Why shouldn't he pay?  He leased the property for an event and came to spectate. 

9 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Howdy Sue

I'm guessing that was Mrs Mac & her hubby ..not sure what alias he would have used..they went over with Robb & Co  & Katie Younger..FYI we just lost our oldest lady shooter 2 weeks ago aged 93

Cheers 'Mohawk

YES!!! They visited the compound often! I,pray they are well.

So sorry for the loss felt from a shooter passing.

93!!! Wow....what a life she saw!!!:wub:

I made it out to EoT for the first time about five years ago.   Three things struck me as fairly memorable.

One:  Someone had, what I assume was a reproduction, of a Cadillac horseless carriage on the "street" in front of the shooting bays.  I thought it was really cool looking.   So, I went and stood next to it, and belted out a rousing chorus of "Come away with me Lucille, In my Merry Oldsmobile."   Yeah, yeah, it was a Caddy, but still GM.   A few people smiled and applauded when I was done.

Two:  At the Cowboy Chapel on both Sundays I was there, [Wild Bunch and SASS weekend]  I made it a point to get there early about half an hour early and started singing hymns.  As people filed in prior to services, I started asking for favorites, and if I knew 'em, I sang 'em along with the congregation until the people that were actually conducting the services finally arrived to take over.

Three:  My guns were fairly simple.  A 30" Winchester 97, a 4-3/4" 3rd Gen Colt and an 5-1/2" Armi San Marco clone, and an AWA Lighting, all in .45 Colt.  I used them to shoot my first ever clean match.   I was quite happy.

Those were the highlights of my first, and so far only, End of the Trail.

Oh, I guess you could say the roadtrip from Boston was a lot of fun.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I made it out to EoT for the first time about five years ago.   Three things struck me as fairly memorable.

One:  Someone had, what I assume was a reproduction, of a Cadillac horseless carriage on the "street" in front of the shooting bays.  I thought it was really cool looking.   So, I went and stood next to it, and belted out a rousing chorus of "Come away with me Lucille, In my Merry Oldsmobile."   Yeah, yeah, it was a Caddy, but still GM.   A few people smiled and applauded when I was done.

Two:  At the Cowboy Chapel on both Sundays I was there, [Wild Bunch and SASS weekend]  I made it a point to get there early about half an hour early and started singing hymns.  As people filed in prior to services, I started asking for favorites, and if I knew 'em, I sang 'em along with the congregation until the people that were actually conducting the services finally arrived to take over.

Three:  My guns were fairly simple.  A 30" Winchester 97, a 4-3/4" 3rd Gen Colt and an 5-1/2" Armi San Marco clone, and an AWA Lighting, all in .45 Colt.  I used them to shoot my first ever clean match.   I was quite happy.

Those were the highlights of my first, and so far only, End of the Trail.

Oh, I guess you could say the roadtrip from Boston was a lot of fun.

Wait..."finally got there"???

We were on time!!!:lol:

We always had hymns sung in chapel, and sometimes a special song was done.

Had several guests that came to EOT and preched...

Worship as it was intended!

Mo Lasses and I had our fun leading hymns...he remarked I was a true Baptist... lead the hymns like "I had a roast burning in the oven"

Archived