SASS Wire Forum

WTB: 12 gauge 2 3/4 low recoil

Captain Bullitt

Checked with Trainer Hale just outside of San Antonio?  They are one of the major shotgun supply houses in the US.

Trainer Hale Supply

• 15391 Bexar Bowling
    MARION, TX 78124 USA
  • Phone: (830) 420-4530

Right now, you will probably have to settle for any 12 gauge target shell you can get.   The low recoil shells can be extra work to find in good times, and these are not the "best of times."

Also, if you have Bass Pro (aka Cabela) shops near you , drive by mid week during the day and look for shells just unloaded from the truck.

Good luck, GJ

Winchester AA 980s have been popping up all this week on brownells, midway, SGAmmo, LG outdoors, sportsman’s, and south GA outdoors in quantities of hundreds. Price ranges from 35c-50c per round which is not too far off pre-covid prices. Set an ammoseek alert and give it a week. 

If you can't find the shell you want then you might want to look into reloading your own.  Some components are hard to fine at the moment but with a little due diligent you should be able to come up with what you need.

Blackpowder loads are legal in EVERY category.  You can use BP shotshells even if you are entered in a smokeless powder category.  BP shotshells can be made with virtually no recoil, and the knockdowns still fall.

If you don’t reload your own shotshells, make friends with one of the soot lords in your club, pay him for the components.  If you can reload shotshells, try 2.2 cc (about 33 grains) of 2F powder under a Claybuster grey wad, with 7/8 oz. shot.

I have given this recipe to women shooters who are sensitive to recoil and received grateful comments.

22 minutes ago, vidette said:

Winchester AA 980s have been popping up all this week on brownells, midway, SGAmmo, LG outdoors, sportsman’s, and south GA outdoors in quantities of hundreds. Price ranges from 35c-50c per round which is not too far off pre-covid prices. Set an ammoseek alert and give it a week. 

Don't buy more than a case if you find some and wait until Winchester's annual $2/box rebate is on - usually starting sometime in April.  Then buy 5-cases of low noise, low recoil AAs and get the rebate.

U might also check with Rogers Sporting Goods.They use to have Federal low recoil.Free shipping over $100.

Largo

8 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

U might also check with Rogers Sporting Goods.They use to have Federal low recoil.Free shipping over $100.

Largo

I second Rogers Sporting Goods, unfortunately they show out of stock  on all shotgun shells at the moment.

30 minutes ago, The Verdigris Kid said:

I second Rogers Sporting Goods, unfortunately they show out of stock  on all shotgun shells at the moment.

They have also raised their prices, so they will cost more when they get some.

57 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

They have also raised their prices, so they will cost more when they get some.

Almost all ammunition companies have posted that they will be increasing their prices for ammunition anywhere from 3 to 15 percent so it is logical that Rogers and all other retailers will have to pass the increase down the line. 

48 minutes ago, The Verdigris Kid said:

Almost all ammunition companies have posted that they will be increasing their prices for ammunition anywhere from 3 to 15 percent so it is logical that Rogers and all other retailers will have to pass the increase down the line. 

I have bought from Rogers, and will do it again, but I mostly have been buying my AA12FL8 shells from Walmart, for $7.97 each.  Of course, those shelves are empty now as well, but I'll be curious to see if their price goes up when they get some.

Our Walmart has stopped selling ammo. It's unfortunate, living in a rural area, I am about 50 miles from the nearest (small, rural) LGS, and 100 miles to a store of any size. Walmart was the ONLY local retail source for ammo. I used to occasionally pick up LNLR AA's there, but no more.  I understand that many other Walmart stores have also removed all ammo.  

When you check wal mart, you gotta check every box of AA shells.  The pet monkeys stocking the shelves at my wal mart don't know the difference between featherlight, target and heavy loads.  They just see 12 ga AA shells and it all gets mixed together.  While Christmas shopping last year I found 8 boxes of the good stuff intermingled with target and game loads. 

For my money, i prefer the federal low noise low recoil just because it smells better (when fired ... don't start sniffing the boxes).  But it's even harder to find. 

I scored 7 boxes of 12ga LNLR AA shotgun shells today. It was last of all of their ammo except for some odd's and ends ( 28 ga shells, 410s and some 12 ga I never heard.)

Regular price, 7.87 a box with Illinois 9.5% sales tax.

Archived