SASS Wire Forum

Indoor range building

Grass Range

We have an excellent outdoor range where I am. But our old indoor range is so-so. I have tried to get info from the NRA but nothing. I thought they would have some kind of plans for an indoor range building. What they gave me was several architects names all for the East and South. Surely someone has building plans available for different size and features that we could go off of to get what we need here. Any ideas? I would give more info to anyone who could offer any suggestions. Thanks.

Also might try contacting the NRA again (may have to find the right contacts) and ask about the status of the RTTA program. Be persistent?

RTTA stands for Range Technical Team Advisor. Covid impacted the program, but it should be starting up again soon. The RTTAs are volunteers, well trained for addressing range issues and questions. It does cost a few hundred dollars plus expenses for the advisor (the advisor is NOT paid for the time spent). The money goes back into the program for training advisors and for addressing certain issues that might come up at certain ranges.

Our club has an indoor range that we built 50 years ago. It has gone thru several major redesigns and improvements. It is 50" max and has 10 shooting lanes.

These areas need some real expertise:  Bullet traps,  air handling and lighting. I second the suggestion about finding the right person and area from the NRA. We have had several grants from the NRA for Range improvements in the last 10 years. The people I dealt with at the NRA were very good and knew their stuff. The rub is that they were volunteers as I remember. 

Good luck and keep me posted on your progress.

Cherokee Firearms in Springfield, MO, is a full service gun store that has an 8 lane indoor range.  I visit there at least twice a week.  It is climate controlled so not cold in the winter, not hot in the summer.  A Range Officer is on duty full time.  The range has been built within the past 2-3 years so it will be compliant with present day standards.  Nick Newman owns and operates Cherokee Firearms, and he is/was a cowboy action shooter.  You might contact Nick for guidance.

Link to website:

http://www.cherokeefirearms.com/

Tricky designing an indoor range.

When I had a chance to provide input for our new Police Building, including the range, I made sure architect plans for the ventilation drew fumes away from the firing line.  This told me the architect or the draftsman knew a little about what he was doing..

53 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Cherokee Firearms in Springfield, MO, is a full service gun store that has an 8 lane indoor range.  I visit there at least twice a week.  It is climate controlled so not cold in the winter, not hot in the summer.  A Range Officer is on duty full time.  The range has been built within the past 2-3 years so it will be compliant with present day standards.  Nick Newman owns and operates Cherokee Firearms, and he is/was a cowboy action shooter.  You might contact Nick for guidance.

Link to website:

http://www.cherokeefirearms.com/

Been to this range several times.

It sets the standard. 

Same for the range at Bass Pro HQ store in Springfield, MO. 

OLG 

Archived