SASS Wire Forum

Australia Westerns

sassnetguy50

1 minute ago, sassnetguy50 said:

The Snowy River tv spinoff from the mid 90s was on today.  Made me wonder what other Australian movies are out there?  Please add to the list:

The Man from Snowy River

Crocodile Dundee

McLeods Daughters is a cool series from Oz

Welcome to Woop-Woop (IQ drain)

Ohhhhhhh so many!!!

There's the movie with Mick Jagger, Ned Kelly about an Australian outlaw, not a bad movie. 1970 True story.

Not a western, but we loved Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries!

That reminds me of what the old time American cowboys called the English style saddles. They called it a: "kidney pad", or a "postage stamp". 

I guess it seemed like that, to them, since they rode either a "mother hubbard" saddle, a "Hope" saddle, or a "Sam Stagg" rigged, slick-fork saddle. Of course, since the U.S. Cavalry rode a similar looking saddle, they made fun of them as well. 

But...since the cavalry troopers were not usually called upon to rope a cow, they really had no need of a saddle horn.

If you have not checked out the old time saddle styles, that the real cowboys rode, check out the website: "Sawtooth Saddle Company". I am not affiliated with them, so I don't have a dog in that fight, although I do own one of their Cheyenne saddles.

W.K.   

3 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Meat Pie? Can't wrap my head around that. Makes me think of mince meat pie. Can you give a little background? 

The Meat Pie is jokingly known as  Australia's National dish.

51 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

A play on Spaghetti Westerns, I think.

yep.

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

Archived