SASS Wire Forum

An idea for a new .45 Cartridge

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

This is an idea for people who like big and powerful cartridges.

Take a .45-70 case and trim it back to the same length as a .45 Colt.

Load the powder behind a 405 grain bullet.

You now have an extra powerful .45   Call it, I dunno, .45-45 or .45 Super or .45-70 extra short or something like that.

What kind of a gun would be needed?  Well, you may not need a super behemoth of a pistol.   I have an Uberti SAA clone in .44 Magnum.  It is only slightly upscaled from a standard SAA.  This gun might be large enough to allow for cylinder to take the slightly fatter than .45 Colt cartridges, as there is a LOT of thickness between the chambers on this gun.

Of course, the cartridge could also be used in something already chambered for .45-70, either a super large revolver or a single shot rifle.

Hmm..   Maybe .45 Super Cowboy Special?

Completely theoretical of course, but what do people think?

Wouldn't be much of anything "Cowboy".   So why suggest a name that would be EASILY confused with something already in production!

good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

It is called the .454 Casull.

Pretty much this ^ but that is where the fun starts. :D

Something similar has been around for a long time a little bigger bullet .475 but a very nice rig for dangerous / large game.  It first came out as the .475 Linebaugh and is the basis for the 480 Ruger.   

There is already a .45 Super.

Springfield even produced a 1911 a few years back in the .45 Super called the V-16.   I owned one

and it was a potent pistol.

Now, I shoot the .460 Roland, which is just a little more potent than the Super.

..........Widder

From Cartridge Conversions, run by our own Mayor Maynot Killya, I give the 45-60-250 BRIMSTONE! 

Based on the 460 S&W case, it's a 45 caliber bullet weighing in at 250 gr on top of 60 grains of black powder. He builds a custom conversion cylinder for a Colt Walker.

19 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

From Cartridge Conversions, run by our own Mayor Maynot Killya, I give the 45-60-250 BRIMSTONE! 

Based on the 460 S&W case, it's a 45 caliber bullet weighing in at 250 gr on top of 60 grains of black powder. He builds a custom conversion cylinder for a Colt Walker.

Oh the exciting potential this has. And I was wondering what to do with the Walker I have...:D

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You'll have a worthless cartridge :lol:

400+gn rifle bullet in a .45 Colt length case ain't leaving much room for powder. 

Then there's the .458 dia of the rifle bullet....

OLG 

The .458 gumint sized to .454 and loaded in a BP 45 colt case shot out of a 30" barrel in a 73 is a very accurate cartridge. I don't recall how many gs of powder I used but do remember the initial velocity was a tad over 600 fps. The completed cartridge was long enough that it had to be shot as a single shot as it would not cycle. I used it to beat a group of guys that were shooting Highwalls and other assorted single shot rifles. I do remember the guy using the spotting scope laughing pretty hard. He said I had enough time to shoot it, run down and move the target in front of the bullet so I wouldn't get any misses.

kR

5 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Sounds like .45 Black Powder Magnum....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Black_Powder_Magnum

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Sounds like .45 Black Powder Magnum....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Black_Powder_Magnum

Sounds like FUN! :D

Anyway....

To clarify, the use of the .45-70 cut back to .45 Colt length was for two reasons.  To enable the use use of the 405 Grain .458" bullet and to allow, at least theoretically, for use as a "sub" round in single shot rifles in the caliber.    By making it the length of the .45 Colt, even though it uses a big bullet, it would still be, at least theoretically, less powerful than something like the .454 Casull, and thus less punishing to shoot.  It is purely a thought experiment, not a real practical idea.

As far as what to call this theoretical cartridge, I just thought up some random names, somewhat tongue in cheek.   I suppose the .45-45 would be, at least theoretically, a legitimate name.  After all, 45-60 is .45-70 shortened, shortening it more would maybe seem like .45-45 is a good approximation of what what kind of a load it could take.

And yes, I know it would need a bigger bore in the barrel.

Sometimes it's fun to speculate on things, and that's all this really was.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:41 PM, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I don't have the Walkers but I gots about 175 pieces of brass!

Let us not forget the thicker web in the cartridge base.  reducing the internal case capacity.  For a "What-If" thing, I'm glad H.K. realizes it's not at all "practical."

I seem to remember, a conversion Gunsmith, Alias Hoof Hearted, built the first Brimstone Conversion??  Couple of folks since have jumped in to further the project.  It does create a really fine "Howitzer" grade Walker.

No, it's really not all that practical at all.   I like the way it is described as a "what if" type idea.   Theoretically, if it had been thought of back in the day, the army could have ordered a sidearm in it, and then the ammo could be used in a pinch in the trapdoor rifles.

But, not, it's not practical.

I mean, just doing this in .45 Colt proved to be an project and a half.

638833552_BigIron.thumb.JPG.dc479e59ac5114f6413745716cc7186a.JPG

Now if you'll excuse me, I must go find an outlaw named Texas Red.

H. K. Uriah;

Ya missed the Most important part of my Tag Line ,,,, A Quote from my Grandma ...

All people bring me Joy , Some by their Coming , Some by their Leaving and Some by their HANGING  <_<

She went to be with the Lord to discuss some mistreatment ,,, Her Daughter my mom Dying before she did ...

She was one tough old Norwegian .... Lived on a Cattle Ranch in Canada the last 2/3 of her Life ...

Jabez   

Rimmed .45s in order of OAL:

.455 Eley

.45 Cowboy Special

.45 Schofield

.45 Colt

.454 Casull (made for heavy bullets)

.460 S&W (made for light bullets)

.45-60

.45-70

.45-90

.45-110

.45-120

Not sure that I get the need for another, but it might not be about need.

18 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

.455 Eley.  Is tat the same as .455 Webley?

Yes

It's been done.  It was wrote up in one of the gun mags probably 15 years ago, I forget what they called it, but it was an effort to bridge the gap between the 454 Casull and the 475/500 Linebaugh longs.  The thought was to use commercially available jacketed rifle bullets intended for the 45-70, somewhat alleviating the extra expense the 475/500 calibers tend to bring in bullets, due to their less common nature AND to use the 45-70 case cut down(instead of the 348 Win which is also more expensive).  They screwed a rifle sized(for 458 bullets) 45 barrel on a Ruger Maximum frame, because even with a special made long cylinder, they couldn't seat bullets out far enough in a regular framed gun.  I think they played with a belted version as well, but it was a long time ago, when I really wanted a wrist breaker and I gave up on getting one.(Handloading the 45 colt with heavy bullets will do anything I need done)

I've loaded the 340 gr Gould hollowpoint bullet(intended for the 45-70) in colt cases at Ruger length and they work fine for deer.  Not any more spectacular that a good 250/300gr JHP tho. 

15 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Rimmed .45s in order of OAL:

.455 Eley

.45 Cowboy Special

.45 Schofield

.45 Colt

.454 Casull (made for heavy bullets)

.460 S&W (made for light bullets)

.45-60

.45-70

.45-90

.45-110

.45-120

Not sure that I get the need for another, but it might not be about need.

You forgot the 45 acp rimmed very much like the 45 cowboy.

Archived