SASS Wire Forum

.45 or eot?

evil dogooder

Since eot will be close enough to me that I might actually make it, a decision has to be made.

Do I sell the last of my .45 vaqueros to afford to go, or not?

What says the combined intelligence? 

7 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Don't sell anything BUT GO to EOT.

Not an option unfortunately

18 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

You'd sell a .45 Vaquero??

While they are my favorite and some of the few guns I have left, i just dont shoot them enough.  I have a case hardened in every barrel length from 3 to 7 1/2 and a stainless 7 1/2.    Best part is none are new models

NO, keep the Vaqueros. You'll regret getting rid of them and all you'll have is memories of a shoot. 

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

NO, keep the Vaqueros. You'll regret getting rid of them and all you'll have is memories of a shoot. 

39 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Guns are just a thing. Going to the World Championships and meeting folk you've met here on the wire is priceless. Great memories are far better than something sitting in a vault.

WWHD?

2021_02_03_09_35_57.jpg.746e1d8b1345ce3d6fdc5ca1dd3c219a.jpg

Of course..... he'd get......

2021_02_03_09_33_21.thumb.jpg.6cfb10b7cee5d6790fa5ca4b7895b1ba.jpg

There are some pretty good folks running the show at EOT, especially some of those Pards at Paradise Pass.

Have a private, personal conversation with them about your situation and see if something can be worked out.

I wouldn't sell the guns.

..........Widder

I have sold guns in the past to fund things that were very important at the time.
I sold one gun that I think about often that if I still had it would still be my pride and joy. That is the gun I most regret having to sell but I sold it for the most important reason of all. We had no money and we had no food in the house. My daughter was just 4 years old. 

I have sold other guns that I regret selling but, at the time, it seemed like a good idea. One was a Glock 34 (yes, a G34 tupperware boy-toy insult to real men everywhere Austrian made un-American Glock- I hope that suffices someone’s vomit in their mouth reaction to “Perfection” :P)

Anyway, that gun was an anomaly. Most accurate pistol I have ever fired. I have bought 2 to replace it that don’t hold a candle to that ugly black nondescript handgun. 
My point is, once they are gone they are gone. There is no replacing a “favorite”. 

How many times have you been on a forum and seen a post about the guy who had a S&W model 10 or some other beloved piece of hardware that they “have owned several since, but none hold a candle to that (fill in the blank).”?

That’s because they sold or dumped a “favorite” and they have been chasing it ever since.

There’s a cute Japanese lady that my daughter told me about that teaches people how to unclutter there lives through uncluttering their homes. I watched her little videos and used to emulate here at my daughters house to get a laugh but this little lady taught my one thing. You don’t throw away things that “Spark Joy”.

I have attended 3 EOT’s as a shooter and a couple more as a visitor. They were fun. I met and shot with a lot of nice folks. But, to be perfectly honest, I have had more fun at monthly matches where I had friends and acquaintances that I enjoyed being around time and time again. Don’t get me wrong, EOT is fun, but quite truthfully, I wouldn’t give up a pair of any of my guns to go, not even the two Glock 34s that I bought chasing the memories of another “favorite”.

10 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

There are some pretty good folks running the show at EOT, especially some of those Pards at Paradise Pass.

Have a private, personal conversation with them about your situation and see if something can be worked out.

I wouldn't sell the guns.

..........Widder

Do this and consider what others of limited means have done to attend EOT.  At FR there was a tent camper's location away from RVs where one could sleep away from the drone of generators.  Some cooked on their PU tailgates and ate out of their ice chests.  There is a Pilot Truck Stop in nearby Plymouth that has showers.  Perhaps you can carpool with someone to EOT and someone might offer you a bunk in their RV.  This may be your only chance to earn a Top Ten EOT buckle you can wear for years with pride.

3 hours ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

Evil...just you going or the whole family??

The whole family.  But the kids wouldn't be shooting.    Mindy said she wanted to go which was a first.  I never expected that or I wouldn't even be considering it. Shes been practicing gf all winter.  

While I love .45s,  I shoot my 38s as main match guns.    It wouldn't hurt me if they were gone, and it wouldn't hurt if they stayed. so it really isnt an end all.  I already sold my dream guns this summer and I have come to realize that in the end memories are more important than physical items. 

I still have guns to shoot. 

Well I guess the first thing is to see if we can even get in. Little  miss lou who is going to try on Monday when they open up.  If we cant get in I guess there is no need to debate.   After that we will see what we need to do.

17 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

I have come to realize that in the end memories are more important than physical items. 

I think you have answered your own question. ;)

Have a wonderful time at EOT :D

I hope you can get in. They just announced the venue change. The Registration begins Monday so you should be set. 

13 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Well,   registered.  Now I need to figure the rest out lol

If you're not camping, you might look into an AirBnB.  With your family coming it might be more economical than a hotel.  We found one ( a house) about 20-30 minutes from the range and the cost is just a little over $100 a night.   I saw one a lot like it that was available, but a bit farther away.

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

If you're not camping, you might look into an AirBnB.  With your family coming it might be more economical than a hotel.  We found one ( a house) about 20-30 minutes from the range and the cost is just a little over $100 a night.   I saw one a lot like it that was available, but a bit farther away.

Some deals on RV Share also...I've known them to be as low as $500 for the week!!! Set up, and take down for you.

Archived