SASS Wire Forum

Just thinking of fun uplifting movies for movie night.

Raylan

Watched "Cactus Flower" two nights ago; Walter Matthau, Ingrid Bergman, and Goldie Hawn-- her first movie and she won an Academy Award award for it. 

Hadn't seen it since it came out in 1969. I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time! It fits your bill.

Raylan, your examples are not quite what I expected from your thread’s title!

I enjoyed the new Netflix offering, “The Dig”, based on a true story and showing Voldemort in a different role.

”Darkest Hour”, the early days of Churchill in WWII, never gets old.

”Gentlemen Prefer Blondes” with Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell might be uplifting if I were a few years younger.

I think “The Homesman” or “Hostiles” would fit in your list of examples.  I watched them once, don’t expect to again.

Zulu!

"The Next Voice You Hear"...starring James Whitmore, and Nancy Davis (you know her...she became the first lady, when she married Ronald Reagan).

Very intriguing story, and also a snap-shot of how America was, back in the late 40's, and early 50's. That alone will make you cry. Better times, on a lot of levels.  

"Blood on the Moon"...starring Robert Mitchum, Walter Brennan, Robert Preston, Barbara Bel Geddes, Tom Tully. Great, lessor known, western.

"Ghost Breakers"....starring Bob Hope, Willie Best, Paulette Goddard, Anthony Quinn, Richard Carlson. Comedy/light horror. 

Tons more...but there is not enough room.

W.K. 

Donavan’s Reef

Rear Window.  James Stuart and Grace Kelly.  We watched this some 40 years ago when the sons would rather watched cartoons.   Oh how they complained.  Slowly they got caught up in it and was on the edge of their seats before it was over. 

The Mummy with Brandon Fraser and Rachel Weisz

Hotel Transylvania, any of the three are fun movies

38 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Here is a fun one. Jack Lemmon.

Any Jack Lemmon comedy is a good choice. To me, Lemmon reached the peak of 'everyman' romantic comedies. 

The Apartment. Good Neighbor Sam. Under the Yum Yum Tree. Of course "Some Like it Hot", one of the greatest comedies of all time. Many more.

I watched The Taking of Pelham One Two Three last night, the 1974 version with Matthau, Robert Shaw, Martin Balsam. A good '70s thriller.

5 hours ago, Raylan said:

Old Yeller, Marley and Me, Up, Glory, Schindler's List......any people would add.....

As an adjunct to this list I might add 2014's "Fury."

'Twasn't exactly the most uplifting war movie I've seen....   :mellow:

4 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I enjoyed the new Netflix offering, “The Dig”, based on a true story and showing Voldemort in a different role.

J-BAR, thanks for the recommendation.  Just finished watching, "The Dig,"  and it is a very good movie.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Thanks again.

A very good Netflex movie Black 47, 1847 that is and the great potato famine.  Made in Ireland and except for lightly loaded firearms really good

Eight heads in a duffel bag

Baby's Day Out

12 minutes ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

I can't believe no one has mentioned Second Hand Lions. One of my favorites.

And one of the great fight scenes ever!

Archived