SASS Wire Forum

8x56 Mannlicher-Schoenauer

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I have a chance to pick up one of these carbines at a very good price....except it's chambered for 8X56 MS and ammo is going for collector prices if it can be found at all. Can anyone tell me if this piece can be re-chambered to something that is available, or can it be re-barreled to a more feasible caliber, like .35 Remington.  According to Cartridges of the World the ballistics are nearly the same.

Well found out that Prvi is now loading for it. Let's face it, it will be a while, but at least someone is making modern, reloadable ammo for it again.

the 8x56 MS is a rimmed cartridge.

Hey, thanks! Learn something new every day!

This info comes from the 13th Edition, Cartridges of the World.

The 8x56 MS

1929698364_Screenshot_20210203-2255192.png.a2774062f92280d1e206126785001bdd.png

Notice the picture shows it as a rimless cartridge.

Then we have the 8x56R, which is a Hungarian military cartridge.

Screenshot_20210203-225754.thumb.png.a0c8de7451665b81dc9cfac537a3a680.png

Screenshot_20210203-225808.thumb.png.26f17c19ee8e2757cde6658ab49c5cb1.png

Notice the paragraph at the bottom of the second picture and the top of the third picture, where it says the rimmed cartridge is not interchangeable with the 8x56 MS sporting round.

19 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

the 8x56 MS is a rimmed cartridge.

Nor according to Cartridges of the world.  It shows a rimless cartridge and says the ballistics are nearly identical to .35 Remington.  Gotta find a source. because I painted myself into a corner: I bought a Model 1908 that my gunsmith doesn't think has ever been fired.  It has a complete cleaning rod in the butt with space for two extra cartridges, a perfect bore, unmarred wood, and those terrible "claw" scope bases.  I've never learned to use a scope because of very thick glasses (until about ten years ago).  If I can find a good 4x scope I may get it and try my hand at using the nasty thing.

I gotta say that this is one of the finest carbines I ever handled, easily one of the prettiest, and I'm dancing around like a kid until I can fire it.

Sorry I led you down a rabbit trail.

40Rod , have you checked on reloading dies ?? There is bound to be some existing case that can be shortened or necked up or down or fireformed to get you into some brass.

I am amazed that you found a 1908 MS . Maybe karma is swinging your way.

Good Luck , 

Rex :D

Checked with a friend of mine. He uses 30/06 brass as his base cartridge.

"I went down to the shop and checked my brass. For cast bullet use I did have to thin the necks but, I size them to .327. Cases for jacketed bullets didn't require thinning but it still needs checked. When they're re-sized the shoulder and a bit of the case body become the neck so it will be thicker to some degree. I never did anything to the head of the cases, '06 should be fine as is.

CH-4D has the dies but I didn't check to see if they're available. My 8 X 56 dies are CH and they're as good as any and better than most. They might be in stock given this isn't a popular cartridge. They will be a something over $110.00, unless they went up since the last I bought, last spring. Obviously an '06 shell holder will work. Your friend will need to slug his bore so he can tell Dave what size expander button he needs. CH shows the dies with a button for .318 bullets....and that might be right. Won't know till the bore is slugged."

The 8 x 56  is easily formed from 8 X 57 Brass , just run it into a size die for the 8 x 56 with the expander plug removed , trim , reinstall expander plug, 

( deprime if this was not new Brass ) and load as usual ...  This is a fine cartridge and will handle any game in the USA with proper loads ...

As an aside European loadings of this cartridge are more powerful than any factory loaded 8 x 57  ammo  loaded in North America ... 

Jabez Cowboy 

Forty, before Steyr added more American chambering in the 1924 model, the magazines were designed to the profile of the round the gun was chambered in, so if you rechambered the rifle, you would also most likely need to modify the magazine.

19 minutes ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

Forty, before Steyr added more American chambering in the 1924 model, the magazines were designed to the profile of the round the gun was chambered in, so if you rechambered the rifle, you would also most likely need to modify the magazine.

One more issue in a book full of issues.  Thanks.  I'll see about that, too.

It is a Simple Fix look at my post above ...

And you can use USA loading Data for the 8 x 57 JS

This cartridge came about as a way to By-pass the treaty of WW 1 restricting production of Millitary Cartridges by Germany and it's Allies ....

It is as easy to get that gun up and shooting as it is with my 9.3 x 57, One pass threw the size die ( Mine are Hornady Dies ) and load as any other cartridge .... 

We can buy Loaded PVI Cartridges for  8 x 56 MS with soft point bullets , up here in Calgary , Last I checked they were running about 30 bucks CND .

Jabez Cowboy

Yes Forty Photos !!!

That is a Fine Gun , in one of KEN WATERS favorite calibers in his All Time favorite Both Gun ...

I wish it was Mine ,,,, Just send it here, but tell my wife it's only here on loan and not another gun ...

Of Mine ....

Jabez Cowboy

19 hours ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

But in this case the COL is the same , and the 8x 56 will chamber in an 8 x 57 rifle , and as a little known fact several tons of it were fired in rifles from a ( illegal Stash ) of . 8x 57 hidden since WW1 this at the start of WW1 re-run ....

Jabez Cowboy

Working on pix for everyone to drool over.

Gotta find scope rings and a fixed 4x scope to go with it.  Don't want anything with lights, electronics, or anything else like that.  Looking for a plain scope similar to pre-WWII style to fit on the "claw" bases.

10 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Yes Forty Photos !!!

That is a Fine Gun , in one of KEN WATERS favorite calibers in his All Time favorite Both Gun ...

I wish it was Mine ,,,, Just send it here, but tell my wife it's only here on loan and not another gun ...

Of Mine ....

Jabez Cowboy

I haven't seen any MS full stock guns in ages....until I bought one.  My gunsmith has two at this time.  One is a 1950 in 257 Robert and he's cleaning up so the owner can sell it.  The other is a later model in .270.  Neither one has double compound set triggers.  I also found another at the same place i bought mine but it's another screwball caliber and they are asking $4,800.00 for it.  None of them are in as good a shape as the one I get.

The Weaver K-3 is very close to looking like what was likely on the gun . and sure looks like the old Swarovski 2.5 power used a lot in Europe.

The Weaver is 1 /5 the price of the Swarovski ...

Good luck with your gun , I think you basically Stole it .... 

Jabez Cowboy  

13 hours ago, Willy B.SASS#26902 said:

Hey 40Rod

I found 13 rounds pf 8mm Mann-Schon in my junk box, 12 Western and one looks like a military case was used as a base.

Do you want them?

Oh, heck yes.  Thank you very much.  How much do you want for them and what do I need to do to get them?

I don't want anything for them, Just paying back what others here on the wire have done for me. I've had these for years I'm just tickled somebody can use  them. I'm pretty sure I can send them by UPS.

I'll send you a PM

On 2/4/2021 at 8:10 PM, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

40Rod , have you checked on reloading dies ?? There is bound to be some existing case that can be shortened or necked up or down or fireformed to get you into some brass.

I am amazed that you found a 1908 MS . Maybe karma is swinging your way.

Good Luck , 

Rex :D

I don't load and the cost of setting up for a hundred rounds or so just doesn't make any sense to me.

Archived