SASS Wire Forum

97 shotgun problem

Jack Spade

I just aquired a Coyote Cap IAC 97 from a pard and ran it at a wild bunch match last week.  I test fired it before I took it but not a lot, loaded 6 rounds and shot the gun empty cycling all 6.  At the match it ran fine the first stage but the next 3 stages When I pumped it after the 4th shot it dropped shell 5 and 6 jamming up the gun.  I was able to clear it on the line and continue but it cost me a lot of time.  I was told the gun was set up to shoot wild bunch.  What could cause this problem and how do I fix it? 

Not sure, but check the spring length. My CB model from Cap wouldn't feed the last shell or only one if that's all you put in. I put the spring from my Norinco in and all is fine now. Just assuming the spring was too short. YMMV

If I read this correctly you are saying after the 4th round the magazine fed both the 5th and 6th round?

It could be the cartridge stop needs lubed. Numbers 26 & 27.

For reference: https://marauder.homestead.com/files/97parts.htm

If you are using reloads, the rim of the cartridge can be damaged by a 97s action with repeated use, and could be the cause. 

Yep, Sounds like a shell stop failed to pop out to hold the sixth round back as the fifth round was feeding onto carrier.   Dirty, or burred, or just needs lube.   Or weak spring.  Pretty common problem, seems like it happens on Chinese 97s much more often than originals.

good luck, GJ 

Archived