SASS Wire Forum

Simplifying Costuming Confusion

1 minute ago, DeaconKC said:

Sue, the rulebook does sound to someone new like you have to choose a costume category to compete. I have helped write instruction manuals and been an instructor and I thought you had to be in a costume category until I got on here. The Rulebook needs to be clarified for new shooters.

Hmmmm...

I saw only that you 'should' dress period era (not 'correct')

I will finish with my last comment...

There has always been 'questions' on ALL the rules, from day one.

There is always discrepency because of the many areas of the country, many clubs, ect.

We need to realize this is a game...

Dress in ANYTHING but the OUTLAWED items (wich are few)

And have fun.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Hmmmm...

I saw only that you 'should' dress period era (not 'correct')

I will finish with my last comment...

There has always been 'questions' on ALL the rules, from day one.

There is always discrepency because of the many areas of the country, many clubs, ect.

We need to realize this is a game...

Dress in ANYTHING but the OUTLAWED items (wich are few)

And have fun.

Yup, the Rulebook just needs to add one sentence before the Costume Category list to let new folks know you don't have to choose a category to get started.

On 2/5/2021 at 1:05 PM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

And how could you ever say a hat worn by "The King" is wrong? Lol

I think Elvis was in a Western or two, but I think he wore a pretty conventional hat.

Unless you mean Roy.   Don't recall him ever wearing ANY hat.

Unless you mean the other Roy.  He wore a fancy hat, but no feathers.   I am confused...

3 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Yup, the Rulebook just needs to add one sentence before the Costume Category list to let new folks know you don't have to choose a category to get started.

Palewolf was following this thread...

Might be a good thing to highlight there are only 2 costume specific catagories...

Hmmmm...

12 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Hey, this does not make it simpler for new folks! Yeah, it's thorough, but we are talking about making it SIMPLE and Clear for new folks.

Minimum Costume Requirements for ALL other Categories: Basically long pants (other than cargo pants) such as jeans, long sleeve shirt for men, leather shoes. Hat is optional. Prohibited Items: Modern shooting gloves are not allowed, short sleeve shirts of any kind are not allowed for 
men, short sleeve tee shirts not allowed for anyone. Long sleeve Henley type shirts are OK and long sleeves (of any shirt) may be rolled up if desired, i.e, in hot weather. Modern feathered straw hats (Shady Bradys) are not allowed. (Straw hats of traditional design are acceptable e.g., 
Stetson, Baily, Sombreros, etc.) Designer jeans are not allowed. Designer jeans include modern jeans that have slogans or logos embroidered, silk screened, and such, saying things like “PINK” or “BABY.” Jeans with fancy or flashy adornments are acceptable. Ball Caps are not allowed. All 
types of athletic shoes or combat boots, no matter the material from which they are constructed are not allowed. Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accoutrements are not allowed. The displaying of any manufacturer’s, sponsor’s, or team logos on apparel is not allowed. (Manufacturer’s labels on such 
apparel or equipment are acceptable)

5 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Minimum Costume Requirements for ALL other Categories: Basically long pants (other than cargo pants) such as jeans, long sleeve shirt for men, leather shoes. Hat is optional. Prohibited Items: Modern shooting gloves are not allowed, short sleeve shirts of any kind are not allowed for 
men, short sleeve tee shirts not allowed for anyone. Long sleeve Henley type shirts are OK and long sleeves (of any shirt) may be rolled up if desired, i.e, in hot weather. Modern feathered straw hats (Shady Bradys) are not allowed. (Straw hats of traditional design are acceptable e.g., 
Stetson, Baily, Sombreros, etc.) Designer jeans are not allowed. Designer jeans include modern jeans that have slogans or logos embroidered, silk screened, and such, saying things like “PINK” or “BABY.” Jeans with fancy or flashy adornments are acceptable. Ball Caps are not allowed. All 
types of athletic shoes or combat boots, no matter the material from which they are constructed are not allowed. Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accoutrements are not allowed. The displaying of any manufacturer’s, sponsor’s, or team logos on apparel is not allowed. (Manufacturer’s labels on such 
apparel or equipment are acceptable)

Pants are NOT required for ALL other categories.

Okay, but realize that I wanted to be in CAS for 20 years, but due to schedules, never could. So when it came up I would be able to finally start last year, I went to the SASS homepage, downloaded the Rulebook , devoured it and then proceeded to spend $100s of extra dollars because the way I understood the Handbook, you had to be in one of two categories. I am not dense, I have been involved with contract tests for programs worth tens of millions of dollars. The book is NOT clear for beginners and needs to be clarified.

19 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Modern feathered straw hats

There is a typo here...The SHB prohibits 'Modern feathered cowboy hats' whether they are made of straw or felt.

And, as we found out here, plucked Shady Brady hats are legal.

1 minute ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Pants are NOT required for ALL other categories.

Basically....

Of course, suggested.

Kilts are okay...Union Suit is okay...women have their own...ect.

So, with all said, I say "goodnight" with this topic.

It is all reflective 'to a point'...and we can either go full bore or as easy as we please...

Have fun gents....that's what we're here for!

13 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Didn’t Mongo wear just a vest :) 

We need to start a stage by punching a horse...

On 2/3/2021 at 6:39 PM, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Well can we stop with age breaks every 5 years?

In the costume categories-we don’t have age breaks

2 hours ago, Aspen Filly 50535 said:

In the costume categories-we don’t have age breaks

Match directors may offer age breaks in costume categories if they have the number of participants to support it.

SHB pg 10

CATEGORY MATRIX

Above the “Base Categories” listed in this handbook, the local club monthly match and club annual match level, all SASS recognized shooting categories may be offered by subdividing by all factors; including age, gender, shooting style, and propellant. When breaking down all style/costume categories, the regulations for the base category is to be applied first, then the age limits. A full listing of all possible shooting category combinations is unavailable. The breakdown examples below serve to provide a glimpse into the various possibilities: - Gunfighter → Lady Senior Gunfighter → Lady Senior Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter. - Duelist → Lady Duelist → Lady Senior Duelist → Lady Silver Senior Duelist. 

The following is of note and from P. 2 in the SHB.

"CLOTHING & ACCOUTREMENTS Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-Western movie, or Western television series. SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the uniqueness of the game and helps to create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors. All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events, including dinners, award ceremonies, dances, and other SASS related activities. All clothing and equipment must be worn appropriately and how it was intended, or how it would have been in the Old West or as seen on B-Western movies and television. Specific requirements for costuming lie within the costuming shooting categories; please refer to the shooting category section for a list of requirements."

Lotsa "musts" in there but we don't always see it, do we? Some folks figure that when the shootin's done, it's time for ball caps and flip-flops. I say Ptooey! Wear your duds and be proud of em!

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Let me clarify, " but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century

, a B-Western movie, or Western television series. "

An easy example is to tell folks to dress like Chuck Connors..

images.jpg.d989570ef868df024d550860d66c8a57.jpg 

imags.jpg.551e8e40089334d7c87ff13710ba59fa.jpg

Chuck-Connors-Johnny-Crawford-The-Rifleman.jpg.d10ae1bf0ccab893ce3fc9d595a4db35.jpg

2 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Agreed... and Chuck Connors was the man! Played for the Cubs, ya know? ;)

Quit slandering the man that way!

Go Cards!

Archived