SASS Wire Forum

Simplifying Costuming Confusion

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I especially liked the "politician" costume!

Great video, Jack!

PS Now we need a lady's version.

Thankfully, from a rules perspective, the only difference for men & women (as noted in the video) is the issue of short sleeves. Branchwater has yet to convince me to be on camera, so my side of the closet didn't make an appearance beyond one still shot. :lol:

I will add, as Branchwater has reminded folks in the past...pants are not actually required according to the rules. :D The most comfortable I've ever been at an awards dinner was when our entire family dressed as if we were woken in the middle of the night. A night rail & curlers for me, night shirt & cap for Branchwater, red union suit for our son, Donald Duke, and no pants among us. LOL

21 minutes ago, Marshall Dillon said:

I hate long sleeves, especially in summer!

Rolling up the sleeves on a long-sleeved shirt is acceptable.

SHB p.44

9 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Don't confuse Shady Bradys with modern feathered cowboy hats. They are two separate thing, both of which are currently illegal items.

...and don't confuse "Shady Brady"-STYLE hats with all hats made/sold by the Shady Brady Hat Co.
Many of their hats are LEGAL for SASS wear.

11 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Do have a question, but first I want to say:

Great video, wish I had seen it back when I was getting started. I did spend a few hundred on costuming that was not necessary; I don't regret it as it is part of the fun for me.

My question: What is the difference between a Shady Brady (not legal) and a straw hat (legal)? The two examples in the video (at 1:15) look like straw hats to me.

Shady Brady is a brand name...and do offer some reasonable hats.

The FEATHERED is this look...

Capture+_2021-02-03-09-16-07.png

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

...and don't confuse "Shady Brady"-STYLE hats with all hats made/sold by the Shady Brady Hat Co.
Many of their hats are LEGAL for SASS wear.

What attributes define the "Shady Brady"-STYLE that are outlawed?

It can be said that other manufactures make hats in the "Shady Brady"-STYLE.

Is it the venting? The crushable straw?

Good stuff. Again, speaking from my perspective of just starting out a few years ago - costuming was very confusing in the beginning. But then again, the whole handbook was. Working in the legal field, I see my share of safety manuals that are written well - but not for a new audience, rather an existing one. That was my gut reaction when trying to sift through everything with green eyes.

14 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

The oulawed is FEATHERED (ShadyBrady) 

Many Shady Brady's (or style of) are legal.

Just no Richard Petty or Urban Cowboy FEATHERED (usually in front).

* a feather stuck in your hat does NOT cause an issue...

21 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

See Sue's post.
The "parenthetical"
(Shady Bradys) is a modifier for "Modern feathered cowboy hats"
When the rule was written, "Shady Brady" referred to the style shown in @Singin' Sue 71615's link.

16 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

See Sue's post.
The "parenthetical"
(Shady Bradys) is a modifier for "Modern feathered cowboy hats"
When the rule was written, "Shady Brady" referred to the style shown in @Singin' Sue 71615's link.

I'm not really the type to complain, but that is just a bit confusing because, today, Shady Brady is, in itself, a defined style that isn't defined by feathers. They themselves define that style.

What's the likelihood that we'll get that bit of it confusion cleared up and use a definition that can be understood by people today using references applicable to today? 

21 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

I'm not really the type to complain, but that is just a bit confusing because, today, Shady Brady is, in itself, a defined style that isn't defined by feathers. They themselves define that style.

What's the likelihood that we'll get that bit of it confusion cleared up and use a definition that can be understood by people today using references applicable to today? 

But dear...it really is clear. 

The outlawed item clearly states FEATHERED....in the (Shady Brady) style...

In the years I've been shooting, only once have I run across the issue on an 'outlawed' hat.

It was a 'bent' hat...but no FEATHERS...sooooo

19 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

I'll see if the ROC wishes to add a definition to the next version of the SHB (2022) to clarify exactly what is "Outlawed".
The list does state that:
"Straw hats of traditional design are acceptable."

30 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

But dear...it really is clear. 

The outlawed item clearly states FEATHERED....in the (Shady Brady) style...

In the years I've been shooting, only once have I run across the issue on an 'outlawed' hat.

It was a 'bent' hat...but no FEATHERS...sooooo

You're right...It probably is pretty clear to folks who used to head out to the disco and belt out Rhinestone Cowboy, or remember seeing Urban Cowboy on the big screen.

Probably also explains why you do not see them anywhere anymore - much less at a match...Richard Petty excluded (Who does sport a Charlie 1 Horse a lot).  That context, while relevant when the rule was created, is not so much today.

The rule, in its entirety:

Modern feathered cowboy hats (Shady Bradys)

Straw hats of traditional design are acceptable (e.g., Stetson, Baily, Sombreros, etc.)

Looking at it in its context, you can also see where someone would be confused when you call out one manufacture as being outlawed (without identifying it as a style - or what about it makes it illegal) and list two other manufacturers as being acceptable.  Especially when you look up the current lineup of 'Shady Brady' hats, and there is not a feather on any of them: https://www.thehattery.com/shady-brady

26 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

The list does state that: "Straw hats of traditional design are acceptable."

But when the manufacture claims that their hat designs "combine laid back California surf style, urban cowboy, and classic western to make an iconic, uniquely American hat," is it truly a "traditional design"?

2 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

You're right...It probably is pretty clear to folks who used to head out to the disco and belt out Rhinestone Cowboy, or remember seeing Urban Cowboy on the big screen.

Probably also explains why you do not see them anywhere anymore - much less at a match...Richard Petty excluded.  That context, while relevant when the rule was created, is not so much today.

The rule, in its entirety:

Looking at it in its context, you can also see where someone would be confused when you call out one manufacture as being outlawed (without identifying it as a style - or what about it makes it illegal) and list two other manufacturers as being acceptable.  Especially when you look up the current lineup of 'Shady Brady' hats, and there is not a feather on any of them: https://www.thehattery.com/shady-brady

But when the manufacture claims that their hat designs "combine laid back California surf style, urban cowboy, and classic western to make an iconic, uniquely American hat," is it truly a "traditional design"?

Now, I do see your point.

I have, from day one, argued that Shady Brady is a brand...not a style.

That said, I bet it is an easy fix to simplify.

I think when we start disecting things this way...we kinda make things worse.:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Gray Drifter said:

Working in the legal field, I see my share of safety manuals that are written well - but not for a new audience, rather an existing one. That was my gut reaction when trying to sift through everything with green eyes.

I'll see your safety manuals, and raise you UNIX man pages. Almost impossible to learn from, incredibly invaluable as a reference once you do know them.

3 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

I'll see your safety manuals, and raise you UNIX man pages. Almost impossible to learn from, incredibly invaluable as a reference once you do know them.

You can always tell a manual should be re-written when it feels akin to deciphering the Dead Sea Scrolls. Way to much usually gets mentally filled in.

Although I personally would not wear one, seeing someone with the aforementioned "shady brady" on their head would give me much less heartburn than how I see the boot rules stretched. I see all kinds of stuff on peoples' feet and think "really?" But that's just me...

And how could you ever say a hat worn by "The King" is wrong? Lol

56 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Although I personally would not wear one, seeing someone with the aforementioned "shady brady" on their head would give me much less heartburn than how I see the boot rules stretched. I see all kinds of stuff on peoples' feet and think "really?" But that's just me...

And how could you ever say a hat worn by "The King" is wrong? Lol

Remember only Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl and B-Western have rules about boots.

There is no requirement to wear cowboy boots in any other category. Rules prohibit athletic shoes and combat boots.

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Well now...don't know what happened there...bet my point was made!

Go report yourself. Then after the cleanup, nobody will have a clue what these last two posts are about. :ph34r:

Sue, the rulebook does sound to someone new like you have to choose a costume category to compete. I have helped write instruction manuals and been an instructor and I thought you had to be in a costume category until I got on here. The Rulebook needs to be clarified for new shooters.

Archived