SASS Wire Forum

Simplifying Costuming Confusion

Following @Creeker, SASS #43022 thoughts, and the thread on growing the game Grow the game: Reduce barriers to entry - SASS Wire - SASS Wire Forum (sassnet.com)...I wondered if we couldn't explain the costuming requirements for new shooters a bit.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just so we are clear, I assume the footwear requirements don't apply if the shooter has physical limitations and can't wear common styles. Both my wife and daughter have had foot operations. One wears AFOs (braces), the other has pins in her feet, so they wear Billy Shoes https://billyfootwear.com/

52 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Just so we are clear, I assume the footwear requirements don't apply if the shooter has physical limitations and can't wear common styles. Both my wife and daughter have had foot operations. One wears AFOs (braces), the other has pins in her feet, so they wear Billy Shoes https://billyfootwear.com/

Reasonable accommodation is part of the rules and the above definitely qualifies in my book. I would however recommend that the color of the footwear be a neutral color like black, brown, or gray. This will draw less attention to it.

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Reasonable accommodation is part of the rules. I would however recommend that the color of the footwear be a neutral color like black, brown, or gray.

So... you're saying there no Liberace or Elton John shooting category?

I'll have to send my ostrich-feather cape to the cleaners first!

Great video! I shared it on my New CAS Shooters page on Mewe! Thanks

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I would however recommend that the color of the footwear be a neutral color like black, brown, or gray. This will draw less attention to it.

Why? A shooter can wear whatever color they want. Some of the B Western stuff is pretty Hollywood when it comes to color and shiney stuff.

3 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Eliminate costume categories all together. We all dress like cowboys and cowgirls already.  

Now Barley....

Those Costume Catagories give folks a bit more to the game (those who want to)

Gun specific, costume specific and with CC shooting style specific.

Some might want the extra 'to do' in our fantasy sport.

I'm all for letting those fly...

20 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Now Barley....

Those Costume Catagories give folks a bit more to the game (those who want to)

Gun specific, costume specific and with CC shooting style specific.

Some might want the extra 'to do' in our fantasy sport.

I'm all for letting those fly...

Well can we stop with age breaks every 5 years?

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Well can we stop with age breaks every 5 years?

They aren't every five years until you get over 60........

Maybe there should be a category for over 70 and no artificial parts. IE - Hips, knees, eyes, ( Come to think of it. There would probably not be many that could qualify for the category) :)

If...

If we ever saw the game go back to , say 4 catagories...with the amount of people we have shooting now, we would have to break that down to divisions...

Then we would look at how many divisions, and on, and on, and on....

I personally just want to enjoy our game.

I fought to keep LFCD alive...for years, and am saddened it never fills the required 3.

So, I will shoot what I can.

6 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Eliminate costume categories all together. We all dress like cowboys and cowgirls already.  

Umm...no we don't!   We have townsfolk and Lawmen and Indians and soldiers and all sorts of folk!

3 minutes ago, Constable Nelson #11784 said:

Umm...no we don't!   We have townsfolk and Lawmen and Indians and soldiers and all sorts of folk!

When I first started there was a couple of guy.... (Don't remember even what State they were from) dressed like 1890's Baseball players.

And then, of course, are the occasional shoots where everyone dresses in their finest underwear!

7 minutes ago, Constable Nelson #11784 said:

Umm... I think you know I meant. We all dress up. Do we need townsfolk, school marm, banker, soiled dove and railroad conductor categories? Ok, soiled dove, but that’s it! 

Just now, Ace_of_Hearts said:

When I first started there was a couple of guy.... (Don't remember even what State they were from) dressed like 1890's Baseball players.

And then, of course, are the occasional shoots where everyone dresses in their finest underwear!

At my early EOT's my evening clothes were a reasonable facsimile of a New South Wales Mounted Policeman of the 1870's !  (Wish I could still fit in that jacket.....lol)

7 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Umm... I think you know I meant. We all dress up. Do we need townsfolk, school marm, banker, soiled dove and railroad conductor categories? Ok, soiled dove, but that’s it! 

There is already a costume category that covers soiled doves. Don't really need another one.

Do have a question, but first I want to say:

Great video, wish I had seen it back when I was getting started. I did spend a few hundred on costuming that was not necessary; I don't regret it as it is part of the fun for me.

My question: What is the difference between a Shady Brady (not legal) and a straw hat (legal)? The two examples in the video (at 1:15) look like straw hats to me.

A Shady Brady is a specific type of 'designer' straw hat, if you will.

About Shady Brady — The Hattery

Shady Brady began producing hats in 1976 under the direction of John Brady. Beginning with the introduction of their signature Shady Brady California hat. No other hat company distressed their raffia straw hoods the way Shady Brady did. Their unique designs combine laid back California surf style, urban cowboy, and classic western to make an iconic, uniquely American hat. Fabricated here in the United States (unlike most hats), they have been seen on numerous celebrities over the years including Jon Bon Jovi, Julia Roberts, Michael Pheiffer, and Jessica Simpson.

It is not of a "traditional design".

1 minute ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Lift the ban on Shady Brady’s. I don’t care what kind of cowboy hat you wear. If you want to support a club which your money and time and you want to wear a feather duster on your head more power to ya.

Don't confuse Shady Bradys with modern feathered cowboy hats. They are two separate thing, both of which are currently illegal items.

On 2/3/2021 at 6:21 AM, Cholla said:

Just make sure that when you go to shoots away from home you get permission from the local Match Director BEFORE you join your posse.

If you are shooting Classic Cowboy or B Western you will probably have to move to another category. 

Most all match Directors will make reasonable accommodations to shooters with bad feet, and will inform their posse Marshals that you have an exemption. 

That being said, it would make them happier if you had footwear that blended in with the other cowboys/cowgirls.

Archived