SASS Wire Forum

Firstly congrats to those involved to have a '021 EOT, I know that a lot of people will be happy.

However is it really a World title when most other competitors from other countries & even some within the USA will not be able to attend..I am not on Facebook but have seen the many comments that have been made saying it should not be advertised as a World title shoot.

Just my observation & interested ih your comments.

Fire away...respectfully.

I would think the title of the match is fine since everyone has the same opportunity to sign up to shoot and everyone is faced with the same challenges for travel and covid. Sass does not require a shooter to have any qualifier to be eligible to compete for the title so no one is missing out it is open to all who want to throw there chip in the bucket and compete. Mag the best shooter win 

Why would 'most other competitors' not be able to attend?  

Some may not be able to attend because their rulers won't let them travel, which is a shame, but I don't think that EOT loses the title World Championship because a few countries won't let their subjects travel. 

If competitors can't travel for other reasons, money, time obligations, etc. that's nothing new. 

It's open to the whole SASS community of shooters in all parts of the world that they have SASS, therefore it's the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OF SASS!

It’s a world championship. Our hats ought to be off to all of those involved in putting this together. The easy thing would have been to cancel it again but thankfully the SASS folks knew there were other options and made some changes. It isn’t ideal for everyone and like every EOT in the past, except 2020, not everyone will be able to attend. 

There are a few other World Championship matches in other sports that do not even have international competitions. 
For Our world championships we at least competitions in other countries, those folks can travel when permitted. 
So ya EOT is a legitimate WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!

It is what it is.   

Use the analogy of the World Series.   When it was first created, it was without debate the world championship because the US was the only place baseball was played.   Today, it is played in other places, but it retains the designation as world championship for historical/traditional reasons.   That and baseball here is better than anyplace else.

EoT was created as the World Championship for CAS.  Regardless of who shoots it, that's what it still is.

There will always be some shooters who “can’t” attend for one reason or another. All SASS has done is move the location and there’s 4+ months to plan. 

By your definition, Is it ever really a World Championship if shooters aren't able to attend. You will never get all the top shooters in one place at one time.

Let's just have fun.

Tough Times right now, and I definitely feel for the competitors that are out of the Country and travel restricted! I applaud SASS for fighting the good fight in spite of daunting regional mandates and finding an alternate location. I am sure the logistics of putting the show on the road is a ton of extra work for them. The easy decision would have been to cancel this match. I for one appreciate them moving forward and doing the best they can in trying times. 

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

EoT was created as the World Championship for CAS.  Regardless of who shoots it, that's what it still is.

Actually, EOT didn't have an "International" category until 1987, the year SASS was formed.  EOT was in its 6th year of being.  BTW, have you never see Japanese pro baseball?   I believe they'd MORE than hold their own! :P

In the sense that there will likely be fewer of SASS' international members able, or willing to attend is regrettable, as the nature of the competition has changed to where several world champions now reside outside the US.  

Did the "America's Cup" lose its "international" standing because only 3 nations made challenges?   

I am personally glad EOT has moved (at least temporarily) to a more central location.  Traveling 2,000 miles each way, pulling a camper was just not going to happen for me.  I'm making plans on going to the Indiana EOT.  My first EOT and I'm already looking forward to it.  700 miles, I can handle.  2,000, not so much.

6 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I am personally glad EOT has moved (at least temporarily) to a more central location.  Traveling 2,000 miles each way, pulling a camper was just not going to happen for me.  I'm making plans on going to the Indiana EOT.  My first EOT and I'm already looking forward to it.  700 miles, I can handle.  2,000, not so much.

I'm not even gonna look at the miles!!

We will take 3 days and split the 21 hours...and make it an adventure!

Due to the Missus' schedule we won't know if we can make it or not. If so, just going to see the competition and Suttler's Row will be worth it. Plus, getting to meet lots of friends from here! If not, Oklahoma is only 5 hours from here!

It was 2000 EOT before SASS had international members competing in their desired category, no "protected" international category.  IMO, that's when it became an "International" competition. 

If you mean in the sense that a (for lack of a better word), foreign world champion won't be there to defend their "championship", will the "domestic" winner of the match or a category feel cheated... that's a question for that individual. 

I suspect a better question is, are there any countries that are prohibiting their citizens to travel internationally?   Are they requiring their citizens to undergo a quarantine when returning?  

51 minutes ago, Griff said:

Are they requiring their citizens to undergo a quarantine when returning?  

I would have to be in quarantine for 10 days after returning home to Switzerland after travelling to the USA. But it changes all the time, summer will probably be different again. And anyway, I didn't consider to go to EOT, maybe (hopefully!) somewhen in a couple of years :)

Equanimous Phil 

5 hours ago, Barkeep Casey said:

Tough Times right now, and I definitely feel for the competitors that are out of the Country and travel restricted! I applaud SASS for fighting the good fight in spite of daunting regional mandates and finding an alternate location. I am sure the logistics of putting the show on the road is a ton of extra work for them. The easy decision would have been to cancel this match. I for one appreciate them moving forward and doing the best they can in trying times. 

Them there are some purdy eloquent words. I know you ain’t no lawyer so what political office er ya running for there Barkeep? :FlagAm:

Kajun

3 hours ago, Geronimo Jim SASS # 21775 said:

What a dumb question........................

Is the dumb part directed at me Geronimo..if so then I do take offence..I personally don't have a problem with EOT World Titles' because that's what it is..my enquiry was in regard  to  what others thought & the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked !!

1 hour ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Them there are some purdy eloquent words. I know you ain’t no lawyer so what political er ya running for there Barkeep? :FlagAm:

Kajun

I am running for Director of the ATF. I don't smoke but enjoy the rest :D

I dream of attending but haven't yet so this probably counts for squat.

I did comment to this in the Australian site and did get a kicking (rightfully so) for a flippant comment about the Aussies not being overly competitive anyway (I have apologised).

EOT is open to all who apply and can get there (within number limits I assume?). The USA is not stopping pers from entering the USA. The Australian Govt have stopped Australians from leaving Aust without very good reasons. I cant see where EOT should remove its World Champ title because of our (and possibly others) National rules.

11 hours ago, Griff said:

It was 2000 EOT before SASS had international members competing in their desired category, no "protected" international category.  IMO, that's when it became an "International" competition. 

If you mean in the sense that a (for lack of a better word), foreign world champion won't be there to defend their "championship", will the "domestic" winner of the match or a category feel cheated... that's a question for that individual. 

I suspect a better question is, are there any countries that are prohibiting their citizens to travel internationally?   Are they requiring their citizens to undergo a quarantine when returning?  

It is not currently possible to travel from Australia for recreational purposes.            But as far as the "International" categories went, back in the day....they were NOT mandatory.  I shot in Frontier cartridge at EOT prior to 2000.... and yes...I'm a foreigner! :D

8 hours ago, Constable Nelson #11784 said:

It is not currently possible to travel from Australia for recreational purposes.            But as far as the "International" categories went, back in the day....they were NOT mandatory.  I shot in Frontier cartridge at EOT prior to 2000.... and yes...I'm a foreigner! :D

Yea, I guess I sort of left the impression that you couldn't... but, I know international competitors could shoot in their category of choice before 2000.   But, I had to correct the statement that EOT was founded as an International competition.  But, it was fun in 1986 being able to practice my German on someone besides the F-I-L!  And their peach schnapps was heavenly!

21 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Due to the Missus' schedule we won't know if we can make it or not. If so, just going to see the competition and Suttler's Row will be worth it. Plus, getting to meet lots of friends from here! If not, Oklahoma is only 5 hours from here!

You best look us up!!!

Hey, LR is in April...look us up there too!!!

4 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

You best look us up!!!

Hey, LR is in April...look us up there too!!!

Yes Ma'am!

9 hours ago, Constable Nelson #11784 said:

Not a foreigner, just a cowboy from another range. 

Following are my simple (simplistic and/or minded?) thoughts.

I like having World, Regional, and State Championships with the SASS format for them. They are inclusive.

I also like the prohibition against awarding guns to the winners as the same people win most of the time. Eventually they will sell them. 

On 2/3/2021 at 3:57 PM, Major Crimes said:

I dream of attending but haven't yet so this probably counts for squat.

I did comment to this in the Australian site and did get a kicking (rightfully so) for a flippant comment about the Aussies not being overly competitive anyway (I have apologised).

EOT is open to all who apply and can get there (within number limits I assume?). The USA is not stopping pers from entering the USA. The Australian Govt have stopped Australians from leaving Aust without very good reasons. I cant see where EOT should remove its World Champ title because of our (and possibly others) National rules.

We had plans to visit Australia this year but will have to wait until next year to return. Stay healthy and will let you know when we have arranged our trip. DC

Archived