SASS Wire Forum

Gun Cart Idea

El CupAJoe

image.thumb.png.bbeaf2c859bb84b8d1adf42f3a7f4ea2.png

image.png.07b8b9fa28e96964ca9bbbcbfeb0207c.png

image.thumb.png.aafa803b16256930be592184aa7b17bd.png

Seems like a decent option for starting a Gun Cart, especially if takedown and transport were primary concerns.  Found at O'Reilly's

IMHO, there is a real tipping potential unless there is a lot of ballast on the bottom. My wife has one pretty much the  same and it’s not real stable.

Just now, Yul Lose said:

IMHO, there is a real tipping potential unless there is a lot of ballast on the bottom. My wife has one pretty much the  same and it’s not real stable.

The small wheels may be an issue also.

Have one and used it a few times (bungees to strap everything on), the small wheels dig into gravel paths to the point the frame drags.

Find something with at least 6" wheels, 8" is even better. Bigger than that is even better, but the gains beyond 8" are proportional to the increase (4 to 6 is 50%, 6 to 8 is 25%, etc.).

Another weak point of those carts is the rack and pinion type mechanism that is used to lower and raise the platform. My wife’s got a piece of gravel in it and when she tried to raise the deck the rack on one side broke a couple of teeth and that made it really unstable.

I've been running an experiment with carts and talking the ears off anyone who has experience. If you want a lightweight one on a budget hunt around for a used jogging stroller as your base.

Papa Dave gun carts, Jersey Bratt has one, Randy St Eagle has one, many others have them and love them. Not as cheap as the aluminum cart from HD but much more substantial. And also very light.

Imis

i will repeat what i mentioned on another thread - i like the minimalist approach , less is more when pulling it up a hill , i do that often so i know , but stability when its in a stationary position is equally important and mobility over unstable ground is clearly important when in motion , while on concrete that will be fine , on turf not so much , in gravel even less so and add rough terrain [ask those that shoot WOWS] even if smooth 'rough terrain' it will be a handful to pull and keep upright , 

not trying to be a negative , im trying to have folks look at larger wheels a bit wider wheel base and a better perch when stationary , but then its all in what you want , to be honest ive never seen a guncart tip over -yet- but ive seen some that were awful tippy , 

ive also seen a few that were very large , very stable , very heavy and ive always thought how cool they were without commenting on the fact i thought they might be cumbersome so im not sure why im commenting on this one that i fully approve of the philosophy behind , if you make it work please post it , ill be pleased to revise my thinking , ...................might even rebuild mine 

Archived