SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 73 rifle light primer strikes

Middlefork Bob, SASS #53945

If the return spring doesn't do it all, the next thing to try is a long replacement firing pin.   Make sure the bore the firing pin sits in, and the holes where firing pin extension rides, are 100% clean and no burrs.   Check protrusion of tip of firing pin when manually pressed forward in bolt - should be at least 0.030" IIRC.   Doing that test BEFORE you buy a new FP will tell you IF you really need the new longer pin. 

Bending the Smith Shop spring is almost never needed.   And not a great idea anyway.  It's hard to get a spring to hold a new bend after it has been bent and tempered and drawn.

Good luck, GJ

Has any other work been done to the rifle?  With the hammer cocked and the lever closed, push against the firing pin extension with your thumb.  It should move forward and spring back smoothly.  If not (common on newer guns) then there is binding going on in there that is robbing power.

16 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Has any other work been done to the rifle?  With the hammer cocked and the lever closed, push against the firing pin extension with your thumb.  It should move forward and spring back smoothly.  If not (common on newer guns) then there is binding going on in there that is robbing power.

+1. I,ve had two new Ubertis that had this problem. First one I had a local smith fix. The second one I took apart and through trial and error I fixed myself. I know now why the smith charged his fee.

Prepping a rifle for a Short Stroke kit is more than installing the kit and a Main Spring.  You have a couple of suggestions that go together.  The Firing Pin is a Rebounding Firing Pin returned by the spring.  The firing pin should have around 50 thou protrusion through the face of the Breach Block (bolt) when fully forward.  The OEM Return spring is intended to prevent OOB firing and hold the Extension Rod to the rear.  The spring is much too heavy.  I suggest replacing the Firing Pin with an After-Market one to include a reduced Return Spring.  The Extension Rod MUST slide smoothly in and out of the recess in the Breach Block.  The Extension Rod MUST run drag free through the frame.  Polishing may well be required.

Plan on taking the gun apart.  Polish the Firing Pin Extension Rod.  Polish the Retention Plate if a new build gun.  Polish the interior of the recess in the Breach Block (burrs).  Replace the Firing Pin and Return Spring (Cowboys and Indian Store or Pioneer.  If you try bending the Main Spring, plan on buying a new one.

Archived