SASS Wire Forum

The tale of the "One piece at a time" Super .38

DeaconKC

Okay, I had always wanted a Super .38 after reading about the 20s and 30s Prohibition Wars. So a few years ago came across Sig having a sale on their .38 Super barrels at a GREAT price so I grabbed one, thinking it would work with some spare stuff I had around. Ooops, it got home and was a ramped barrel! So now I either have to get a new frame or have one cut. Found a nice deal on a Caspian frame, so that was solved. Then discover the slide I had lined up for it wouldn't work either....so new slide. By the time I got done about the only things that got used from my original plan were the grip bushings and a Wolff spring kit!

Any way I did finally wind up with a Super .38 that looks "right" and is a fantastic shooter.

Anybody else ever have a project go off the rails like this?

This is kind of the opposite, but when I was in Oregon I bought an Anderson Arms AR lower receiver cheap. I just bought it because it was there. I had no intention of building another AR. I had sold the others I had. 
Anyway, I moved to California and being a law abiding citizen, like most gun owners, I followed the law here and “documented” (registered) all of my guns as the law requires. I listed all the guns that I brought into the state that I did not purchase in this state when I lived here before. 
(subliminal message: this isn’t the thread for bashing California that you were looking for)

I went ahead and listed the lower receiver. 
About 3 weeks later I get a letter from the DOJ telling me I must send them photos of the configuration of my AR to determine if it’s “an assault weapon” or if it’s of legal configuration. They said until I did my other guns weren’t going to be properly registered. 
I called the DOJ and was told “You must assemble the gun and send us photos of its configuration so we can determine if it’s legal.”

So I asked the lady “You’re telling me that the Cal. DOJ is telling me to build an AR-15?”

She laughed and said “Yes, I guess we are.”

So I did. And here it is:

7F0F8FEB-D419-4CEA-8954-C422A904FB1E.thumb.jpeg.6b5519f5f0a9dc61e9f030fa342d96ce.jpeg

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

This is kind of the opposite, but when I was in Oregon I bought an Anderson Arms AR lower receiver cheap. I just bought it because it was there. I had no intention of building another AR. I had sold the others I had. 
Anyway, I moved to California and being a law abiding citizen, like most gun owners, I followed the law here and “documented” (registered) all of my guns as the law requires. I listed all the guns that I brought into the state that I did not purchase in this state when I lived here before. 
(subliminal message: this isn’t the thread for bashing California that you were looking for)

I went ahead and listed the lower receiver. 
About 3 weeks later I get a letter from the DOJ telling me I must send them photos of the configuration of my AR to determine if it’s “an assault weapon” or if it’s of legal configuration. They said until I did my other guns weren’t going to be properly registered. 
I called the DOJ and was told “You must assemble the gun and send us photos of its configuration so we can determine if it’s legal.”

So I asked the lady “You’re telling me that the Cal. DOJ is telling me to build an AR-15?”

She laughed and said “Yes, I guess we are.”

So I did. And here it is:

7F0F8FEB-D419-4CEA-8954-C422A904FB1E.thumb.jpeg.6b5519f5f0a9dc61e9f030fa342d96ce.jpeg

Vera?

5 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Anybody else ever have a project go off the rails like this?

A few marriages, an engagement, retirement................ Oh like guns........nope.

38 Super Double Stack Caspian Frame and a few other goodies. One heck of a shooter.;)

38 Super.jpg

Some gunwise person observed that when you customize your 1911 you will eventually have a pile of parts that can be assembled into a gun that resembles the one you started with.

Sounds like you did kinda the same thing!  :lol:

Archived