SASS Wire Forum

Puma Knives

I bought one in 68 and used it for years. A Hunter’s Pal. Great knife. I need to put new scales on it. I have no idea what the pricing is on them.

I received a Puma Skinner as a gift back in the mid 70's.  It is made in Germany and has been a faithful hunting companion for decades.  I have worn out two leather sheaths and it holds an incredible edge.  The sell for about $250.00 on the Puma website and if the need was there I would buy another.  

I recently was gifted my Dad's hunting knife. He won it in high school selling magazine subscriptions. Blade is marked Solingen. That knife has the best steel I have ever seen in a production knife. 

Down side is that it is a real bear to put an edge on. Long before there were diamond hones the only thing that would touch it was a hard Arkansas stone. In the late 60s and early 70s fed stores used to give away sharpening stones as promotional trinkets. You would wear out one of those stones before making any significant progress on the edge.

I've had a DEER HUNTER folder since 1962 as my daily carry, even working in the office.

It's cleaned everything from Moose, bear and deer to geese and fish.

As Sedalia Dave mentions, it was always a difficult thing to put a good edge on, until I bought the Spyderco Triangle sharpening stones. 

Almost idiot proof and those ceramic stones put a good edge on the blade.

Howdy,

Puma mid size folder went everywhere with me for years.

Even on a plane and all over DC years before 9-11-1.

Just sharpen with crock stix and dont let it get too dull.

And it had to have a friend the puma white hunter.

And get the orig sheath, its just cool.

A good friend to have. Get an old one off ebay.

One that is cosmetically flawed could last a few lifetimes.

Chineze puma? ugh.

Best

CR

Saw some jungle movie one time. The White Hunter was carrying one of these, and it was just so cool looking. Took me about 20 years to come up with the extra money, but it was either in the late 90s or the early 00s, but I got it.

The blade is marked Germany, so I guess it's the real deal.

IMG_20210201_224626760~2.jpg

IMG_20210201_224415573.jpg

I jump in here with my Puma knives.

These are all German made and I've had them for many, many years with the original sheaths.

White Hunter, Original Bowie, Hunters Pal, Pro Hunter, Stockman and Mini Stag.

I haven't used any of them, so I don't know how hard they are to sharpen.

But I have had to sharpen some of my other German Soligen steel knives and it is difficult without an Arkansas stone.

Coyote Kid

20210202_090543.jpg

20210202_091617.jpg

Archived