SASS Wire Forum

Converting Ruger .357 to .38-40?

Dang It Dan 13202

1 hour ago, Jasper Agate said:

Gator,

Yes , my shooting partner has them for his OMV's. They work great!

Jasper

Thanks! Have you ever measured the cylinder throats or pushed different sized bullets through them? What diameter are you loading? Thanks again.

When I was looking doing this project with NRV's I called Ruger. At that time said they would not make a 38-40 due to the possibility of the rim touching, they also explained that the 38-40 case was inside of their minimum distance for space between case rims. Alan Harton is who I talked to about this conversion. He said the cases might stick a little due to variances in case rim between manufactures. 

6 hours ago, Isom Dart, SASS#8096 said:

Dan,

it's no problem with OMV's. About '06-'08 , wanted a pair of 38-40's, found a pair of SS, OMV in 38-40/40S&W. They were ok but, I don't like "shiny" guns. So I didn't shoot them much. Ruger didn't make blue OMV's in 38-40. So, bought two blue OMV 357's, one new, one used at about $425-450.00 each, pulled the barrels , sent them one way, sent the cylinders another. In about three to four weeks ,I had a pair of "blue" OMV's in 38-40. I think it was about $375.00/gun, dividing up between cylinder and barrel. Down the line I acquired a couple of late 3rd gen. Colts in 38-40, shot them for a while . Then, thought I'd switch between them. Didn't work for me ,,,,,,,,, they're to different. Oh ,,,, everything is with B/P.

YMMV,

Isom

ISOM!!!!

Buddy I am sooooooo glad to hear from you.  You will always be imprinted in my memories as one of the best examples of true cowboys this sport has to offer.  I hope you are well.  I hope to see you down the trail soon.  

When I called to find out about the 44-40 cylinder we talked for a while and both of us like 44 Special and 44-40. It sounded like the cylinder would fit the 44 mag Vaqueros. Finally he asked me where I am located. When I told him California he said "Oh, I'm sorry." At first I thought he meant that they wouldn't ship to Ca. They do, he said he was just sorry to hear I live there. Got one ordered.

There is a fellow Up here that uses .44-40 cases in his NRV in .45 Colt and Shoots .456 diameter Bullets ... His bore is over sized and this is the Cheap fix for that issue , He has had ZERO issues with rim interference .... He casts .456 Bullets from a LEE mold the cost of having LEE make an over size mould was minimal . And he uses Hornady New Diamention Dies for .45 Colt crimping with a Lee factory Crimp Die for .45 Colt ...

And the Rim diameter on both .44-40 and .38-40 as made by star-line are the same ....

Being that one of my Grandads Was a Scot, I mostly use Star-Line .44-40 brass in my .38-40 guns  to save 80 dollars a thousand over their price for .38-40 ....

Jabez Cowboy

On 2/1/2021 at 5:24 PM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I know U.S.F.A., once-upon-a-time, had a revolver with two cylinders...one in .41 Colt, and one in .38 WCF. 

I am not sure, but seems like Ruger, or someone, had a revolver with two cylinders, as well...one in 10mm, and the other in .38 WCF.

I don't know...would it be more feasible to try this conversion with a .41 mag Ruger...rather than a .357 magnum? I haven't checked the bullet dimensions on .41 mag, or .38 WCF, yet, so I am just speculating. 

41 MAG BULLET IS .410.

Dan, the .38 WCF is a great round for smokeless or bp/subs.

One issue for many is that most sizing dies do not form the far enough down the case, often .02-.04" short.  Not a huge deal in the rifle since the thin brass can be swayed as the lever is closed.  This can be a problem in the revolver.  You may want to talk to your 'smith about this.  You may want to get your reloading stuff first so that you can know the shoulder length.

On 2/2/2021 at 11:22 AM, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Thanks! Have you ever measured the cylinder throats or pushed different sized bullets through them? What diameter are you loading? Thanks again.

Gator,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you!! As far as I know he has done no measuring. He uses .429 bullets.

Jasper

1 hour ago, Jasper Agate said:

Gator,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you!! As far as I know he has done no measuring. He uses .429 bullets.

Jasper

Thanks. I did talk to them and they said the throats are .429. I ordered 1 to see how it works.

Dang it Dan

your project is doable. A number of years ago West Fargo converted a 3 screw 357 to a 44 special / 44/40 convertable for me. later we converted

2 more to 38/40 for sass. I changed all 3 to bisley conversions.

Moses #5964 life

Archived