SASS Wire Forum

I can't fly on a commercial flight anymore! XXX?!?!?!

Clay Mosby

Got mine renewed last year and they asked me if I wanted the new Real ID, I said yes, it was no more money just more paperwork for them I assume. Now I can fly!!!:D

I heard all the horror stories about the Real ID process so was ready to scrap when I showed up at the DMV since I have a commercial License.  I had uploaded all my copies and brought extras just in case.  Only took about ten minutes longer than a normal visit.  Maybe I was just lucky.

We probably wouldn't have to go this if certain states - like mine - hadn't decided to give driver licenses to "undocumented workers" (or whatever the current PC-speak term may be).  The decision was made here to give them the same license as citizens... after all, can't stigmatize 'em by having their licenses look different.

So now we get to jump through the hoops.  

California AB-60, signed into law by one Edmond G. Brown, said "The California Department of Motor Vehicles, Licensing Operations Division, Research and Development Branch has stated that unlicensed driving is a major California safety problem."  Well, they'd fix THAT right handily!

The state subsequently issued more than a million licenses to "newcomers."  And oh...  the roads are suddenly SO much safer now, don'tcha know.  <_<

1 hour ago, Still hand Bill said:

Wasn’t a issue for me.  Just brought the required paperwork and done.  Has been harder to get in state hunting privileges than getting my dL.  They want proof of income, hard to do when you don’t work. 

For a hunting license? Why?

21 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Requirement to get a "Real ID" in California would require a court order changing my name as well as publishing the "facts" in a local newspaper for two weeks.  Not cheap... up to a $grand in fees.

I know if my last name was Curmudgeon, I'd probably have it changed.:P:blink::D

2 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

I know if my last name was Curmudgeon, I'd probably have it changed.:P:blink::D

Naw, Laddie ~ 'tis a name to wear proudly!  ^_^

I comes from a long line of proud curmudgeons!  :lol:

2 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

Wasn’t a issue for me.  Just brought the required paperwork and done.  Has been harder to get in state hunting privileges than getting my dL.  They want proof of income, hard to do when you don’t work. 

Whaaat?? Proof of income?? What part of Colorado do you live in????

I had to bring a bunch of nonsense paperwork work.  I just used a passport - Next we will have to show our "papers" upon demand to the resident "enforcement officer."  I have a paper with my covid shot record which is required to be presented on some airlines.    I will NOT give a fascist salute - period.

STL suomi

Forgot to mention. After reading the form that came with my renewal notice that listed the various documents required, I saw where it said that because I'm hitting 70 I had to go in person, take a test and get a photo.

So just fer sh*ts-n-giggles I went online. There it said that because of covid I might be able to renew online.  Oh, what the hell, I started filling out online forms, expecting at any time to be notified that I was not allowed to renew online.

But damn if I didn't get all the way through, paid my $38, and received a receipt that said I should have my license in 3-4 weeks. Guess they'll use the photo from 2016.

Will be interesting to see if I actually receive it.

On 2/1/2021 at 8:39 PM, Chicken Rustler, SASS #26680 said:

... I intentionally set up utilities, water, etc with paperless billing for convenience, which means I didn't have anything to show proof of residence. ...

Couldn't you go online to print out a recent bill which would show your service address?

20 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

I heard all the horror stories about the Real ID process so was ready to scrap when I showed up at the DMV since I have a commercial License.  I had uploaded all my copies and brought extras just in case.  Only took about ten minutes longer than a normal visit.  Maybe I was just lucky.

Lucky?  No I'd call that good planning!

Wife had to get her DL renewed last year.  She had the old license so had to jump through the Real I.D. hoops.   Just gather up the documents they requested on the website.  They were pretty specific about what they would accept.  Passports work the best.  In the past, a trip to the DMV was a 1/2 day affair.  Due to Covid, they make you set up an appointment.  Show up at the appointed time and the door guard will check the list, check your paperwork and admit you if are deemed worthy.  Once inside, you go straight to the counter and walk out in about 10 minutes with a Real I.D. driver's license.  I don't think the Real I.D. license cost any more than the "Who Knows" driver's license.

I renewed last year and didn't remember why I didn't get the Real ID.  I looked again and it is because most of my proofs are my PO box address NY won't accept them. 

Can't get a real ID, but have a NY pistol license, Veteran health ID, CDL license with Hazmat endorsement and a Passport. 

2 minutes ago, Snake River Clay said:

I renewed last year and didn't remember why I didn't get the Real ID.  I looked again and it is because most of my proofs are my PO box address NY won't accept them. 

Can't get a real ID, but have a NY pistol license, Veteran health ID, CDL license with Hazmat endorsement and a Passport. 

Would seem like a moot point if you have a passport. We always use ours to fly even domestically.

JHC

1 minute ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Would seem like a moot point if you have a passport. We always use ours to fly even domestically.

JHC

That is why it's not worth changing my address to my home from a PO box. I like the anonymity. 

Hazmat and pistol license required fingerprints and background checks. 

Been down this road as my SS card has Jr, while my birth cert. does not. Jr means son of, however the idiots at the DMV are adamant that they must be exactly the same. Looked into an official legal name change. Three trips to court, $200 court fees, $50 newspaper fees + 3 months processing time. Just renewed my passport; all done.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:44 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Whaaat?? Proof of income?? What part of Colorado do you live in????

Actually moved to another state in the Midwest.   Have a house, drivers license, etc, but can’t get in state hunting privileges even though I don’t have them in any other state as colorado cancels them once you get a new dl from another state.   

Archived