SASS Wire Forum

I can't fly on a commercial flight anymore! XXX?!?!?!

Clay Mosby

Got a renewal notice for my drivers license. Inside was a notice that unless I jump through multitudinous hoops I won't get a "REAL" ID and will not be allowed on domestic commercial flights or enter federal buildings.  (Hmm does this mean I won't have to worry about jury duty if I don't have it? )

I am born and raised in this country, and except for a 4 month stretch working in Germany have lived no where else. So for 70 years I've been here, for at least 55 of those years been paying taxes and had a drivers license. And now, while illegals are handed licenses and voter registration forms, I have to prove that I can be trusted to get on an airplane to fly to visit my son??  This is total BS IMHO.

I had to renew my driver's license last year. The MVD has a long list of items needed for renewal (SS card, bill, etc).  I had my pile of paperwork and told the MVD person that I just wanted a "regular" driver's license.  They said that since I had all the paperwork I might as well get federal license.  A federal approved license was like $10 extra.  I'm retired military, my military ID card is also on the federal list for flying.  

BS

Can a bar code, tattooed on you, be far behind? 

der fuhrer vould be so happy...no more "ver are your papers?", because you are permanently marked with "your papers".

If not having that keeps me off any commercial flights, and out of federal buildings, then, for me, that is a good thing. But, I figure that is going to be just the beginning. They will use it to control us in what we buy and sell, and what we can own (such as firearms).

My take on it.

W.K.

I got a Real ID license when I renewed mine. It wasn't really a big deal. Not near as big as trying to buy a gun in some states. ^_^

I was not giving an option when I renewed my license. They told me I needed to have my birth certificate and my social security card, and if I did not bring these documents they would not renew my driver's license.

I now have my document with the little gold star.

I had to get my DL renewed in 2020. I thought I had all the stuff for a Real ID. I found out that my Marriage Certificate, which was issued in 1971, was invalid. I have to get a Certified copy. :rolleyes:  I read somewhere that they were not needed until 10/2021, so I've been procrastinating.

I just got my DL by going online.They used the same picture from 8 years ago.

Largo

7 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I had to get my DL renewed in 2020. I thought I had all the stuff for a Real ID. I found out that my Marriage Certificate, which was issued in 1971, was invalid. I have to get a Certified copy. :rolleyes:  I read somewhere that they were not needed until 10/2021, so I've been procrastinating.

Yeah. Oct. https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/news/2020/10/01/12-months-remaining-until-full-real-id-enforcement-deadline

2 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

passport’ll do.

We’re not all international Jetsetters. ;) 
A lot quicker to get the driver license. Loooong wait on passports last time I checked.

Here we had to have a COPY of your birth certificate, not the original. Photo copied mine and the guy at MV was delighted.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Some DMV's allow you to get a license that isn't "Federal. It's on you to choose. But in 12 months you won't be able to fly or enter any Federal facilities, as in SS offices.

I had to renew mine in person. So, Birth cert., Social card, passport, and two things with my name and address on them. I said the same thing. I showed my birth certificate in 1966 why again now.

Renewed my passport. It took 6 weeks for the turn around.

yes , hitler required government ID to be a member of society and travel in the 30s , seems we are repeating history here , ill be banned when that goes into place as my state drivers license is not accepted either , guess ill renew my passport and have international ID - ahead of the curve anyone ? 

2 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

How do you tell if its Federal?

Largo

It has a little gold star in the upper right corner.

Only five points though.

0409%20Kansas_Real_ID.1.jpg?alias=standa

I'm retired military so both my wife and I have military ID cards, which are considered a "Real ID card."   However, when I went to get my driver's license with the star making my driver's license a "Real ID card," my military ID card was not acceptable with the nice folks at the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) office here in the Tucson area.  My military ID doesn't have my Social Security number on it so, I had to round up a bunch of documents. :huh:

It took me two trips to get all that the ADOT folks wanted.  My Social Security Card that I've had since I was 15 years old was not acceptable because written on those old SS cards was, "NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION."  The nice folks accepted my wife's SS card because it was newer and didn't have those damning words on it.  I had to go back and get an old tax bill that had my SS number on it.

I now have two "Real ID cards."  I love how government works!  :lol:

37 minutes ago, Alpo said:

It has a little gold star in the upper right corner.

Only five points though.

0409%20Kansas_Real_ID.1.jpg?alias=standa

No gold star for us. Ours has a gold bear with a white star on its ass.

17A48AC7-6ED0-44D0-8E80-813A46097026.jpeg

A few years ago I went to get a passport so we could use a pharmacy in Mexico to save money on inhalers.....

I supplied all the documentation through a local government service that checked everything before submitting the paperwork.

The lady was quite impressed that I had an original birth certificate with the State seal embossed and everything. (It was left over from the military)

The Feds turned it down. I had to have the State send there "form" that simply stated that I had an original on file with the State.

This "form" the Feds accepted  over the original.

You also need a Real ID to buy ammunition in California!  :huh: :(

But I couldn't get one.  Last name on my birth certificate is not the last name I've used my entire life - Ma re-married when I was a toddler and tacked "Dad's" name on me; I did not know 'til I became an adult.

Requirement to get a "Real ID" in California would require a court order changing my name as well as publishing the "facts" in a local newspaper for two weeks.  Not cheap... up to a $grand in fees.

But as Marshal Mo Hare pointed out, a passport will serve as an alternative to the "Surreal ID."

So I discovered that I could have at least two people who've known me for a period of time sign and notarize affidavits (DS-60) stating I am who I am.  My son, my old pard Palouse, and my dear Aunt Bea (yes, I really do have an "Aunt Bea!" ^_^) did so.  With the "wrong name" birth certificate and an official copy of Ma's marriage certificate, I submitted a passport application last November.  Passport book and card were delivered last week; California can suck eggs.  ;) 

(Ironically, though, the passport will suffice as an alternate to the birth certificate requirement for issuing a "Real ID."  I'll probably get one anyway... but without jumping through the name change hoops!).

It was a NIGHTMARE to get my real ID from NM.

Having been married twice, I had my BC, my divorce decree, my marriage license now, with my valid ID with the same name the last 20 years.

I got up to the window after looking on line to have all required (including TWO bills with name and address, with that months dates)...

Only to find out they needed the marriage license to #1 as well as the decree!!!

Wouldn't having the divorce decree be enough proof I was married to him in order to get divorced??

30 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

It was a NIGHTMARE to get my real ID from NM.

Having been married twice, I had my BC, my divorce decree, my marriage license now, with my valid ID with the same name the last 20 years.

I got up to the window after looking on line to have all required (including TWO bills with name and address, with that months dates)...

Only to find out they needed the marriage license to #1 as well as the decree!!!

Wouldn't having the divorce decree be enough proof I was married to him in order to get divorced??

It's easy. They just could not believe anyone would be dumb enough to divorce you, in the first place, and they needed absolute proof!!! 

Having a current US Passport is the easiest way to get a Real ID. These days, getting a passport, even if you aren't planning overseas travel, is a good idea. For us northern border staters, it's required to get into Canada and return, unlike how it was for generations. 

Another worthy point about Real ID these day is that you have to be a US citizen or a documented immigrant not in violation of the immigration laws  to receive one.

I ran into this when I moved here and changed to a TX DL. I found out pretty quickly my retired military ID and passport were no help but that wasn't the only problem. When I moved, I intentionally set up utilities, water, etc with paperless billing for convenience, which means I didn't have anything to show proof of residence. I'll be renewing next year, hopefully now that my ID is "real" the renewal process will be more like it used to.

27 minutes ago, Chicken Rustler, SASS #26680 said:

I ran into this when I moved here and changed to a TX DL. I found out pretty quickly my retired military ID and passport were no help but that wasn't the only problem. When I moved, I intentionally set up utilities, water, etc with paperless billing for convenience, which means I didn't have anything to show proof of residence. I'll be renewing next year, hopefully now that my ID is "real" the renewal process will be more like it used to.

You only have to do the documentation once.

I had to get my real ID  so that I could go on a family trip that would eventually be scrubbed because of covid. The DMV would not accept my social security card as a form of ID because it was laminated. So I got an unlaminated one and returned with everything else and got the real ID. My DL renewal was due in six months and I got the form in the mail that I could renew online or by mail but if I wanted the real ID I’d have to return to a DMV office in person, uggh. Well I sent it in by mail not expecting a golden bear with a white star on its butt to appear on my new DL but to my surprise there it was.

I'm being stubborn and a grumpy old man about this, and that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!  

I would have to get a new birth certificate, the one I have isn't embossed. 

I would need a new SS card. The one I received way, way back was laminated and says Not For Identification on it

I don't have a passport.

Utility bills and mortgage payment stubs are in East Coast Filly's name.

So basically I guess I'm screwed. And basically I just don't give a damn about it. I have no plans to travel on an airplane, primarily because I did a fair bit in younger days and don't care to be squished into a seat at the mercy of those squished in around me. I have virtual ammo for all my virtual weapons and virtual materials to make more.

If the gestapo fanatics don't trust me to board an airplane without killing everyone on board, then I no longer trust them with any more of my personal information than they already have. 

Never in my worst nightmare did I imagine that America would be headed for the bottom of the sewer to become Venezuela 2.0 as fast as it could get there.

On 2/1/2021 at 9:59 AM, largo casey #19191 said:

Largo

+1

Archived