SASS Wire Forum

Dusty Leather's guncart

Abilene, SASS # 27489

This cart is just so tiny and "cute".  I have intended to take some pics of it for a long time, but I didn't have my camera (don't have a smartphone) with me whenever I would see him.  Dusty Leather has been using this cart for years, so it apparently holds up well.  I asked him once how it was on rough ground and he said "fine".   I guess if the ground is really bad you could pick up the cart and carry it over a rough spot!  Just another method for folks looking for ideas for simple carts.

DustyLeatherCart1.jpg

DustyLeatherCart2.jpg

Sweet cart!  He might need a new alias, that leather doesn't look very dusty to me.  Looks like the Hunter brand shotshell belt.  I bought a new, old stock Hunter ShotShell belt off ebay in December and the stitching for the shell loops was brittle.  Same brittle stitching with a Hunter brand shoulder holster I picked up in November.  I have some waxed thread laying around to effect a mend, but I busted all my leather needles a while back and need to pick up some more.  

10 minutes ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

but,but,but.....where does he carry his back up guns, extra ammo, lunch cooler, bug spray, sun block, umbrella, beverages, squib rod, tool kit, shooters handbook, stool, etc., etc.?

Chancy

how much of a liability are pack animals at matches?  :D might need to carry my mountain howitzer just in case...  I find it prudent to wait to apply the sunscreen until after you've unloaded the mule, keeps your hands from getting slick...  Also if your mountain howitzer doesn't come with an aspirin pouch mounted to the caisson you need to get one, your mule will thank you.

image.png.72a5a22bc643860717133f7717a6edb5.png

im very much in tune with the minimalist design and theory for the cart , i use a bag boy golf cart - less minimalist that his design but far less cumbersome than most in our game , the only things i see as flaws in my experience is the narrow wheel base and narrow stand base , the only reason i say that is most places i shoot are rough terrain for that narrow wheel set and too sloped for that stand base to be stable , ive never seen anyones cart tip over spilling the contents but i have seen a couple that had to adjust to get them to stay upright , 

i appreciate the workmanship he has detailed into that simple system , it would sure pack easily even in a compact car trunk , 

13 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I asked him once how it was on rough ground and he said "fine".   I guess if the ground is really bad you could pick up the cart and carry it over a rough spot! 

It would be real simple to replace those wheels with a couple of flotation tires from Harbor Freight. Might have to adjust the mounting brackets slightly but it would work.  

There are times when a minimalist cart is just the ticket.

Archived