SASS Wire Forum

Sass Leather maker in NC

Currituck Kid

10 minutes ago, Kuna said:

Here a post that has multiple leather makers listed

Hey thanks for this, I have been to numerous websites I was just curious if anyone knew of someone that I could talk to in person and get them to measure and we go over what I need as I have the special problem of a belly but no butt. 

13 hours ago, Currituck Kid said:

Hey all, 

The guy I was told about for SASS leather unfortunately no longer makes rigs. So I would like to find someone native to NC so I can meet with them and get true measurements for me.  Anyone know one? 

I don't know of any in our immediate area.   I had a nice rig made by Wild Otter and Bulldog Jackson at Jackson's Western Store out of Asheville.  They used to travel/set up a big tent at the NC and SC State matches.  But, I don't believe they do that anymore.  JM Leather is another great maker, but he's moved to Bulls Gap, TN.  Either of them can make any kind of rig you can dream up.  Not necessarily what's in their sample pictures.

As for how to measure your size.  Take a fabric tape measure, and measure around your hips where you are actually going to wear the belt, over the pants your are going to wear.   That will give you the measurement to the center hole on your new belt.   You can talk to Sandhills Slim about it.  Although he doesn't make rigs for others, he did make the rigs that he and Ms. Jewel wear.

33 minutes ago, McCandless said:

I don't know of any in our immediate area.   I had a nice rig made by Wild Otter and Bulldog Jackson at Jackson's Western Store out of Asheville.  They used to travel/set up a big tent at the NC and SC State matches.  But, I don't believe they do that anymore.  JM Leather is another great maker, but he's moved to Bulls Gap, TN.  Either of them can make any kind of rig you can dream up.  Not necessarily what's in their sample pictures.

As for how to measure your size.  Take a fabric tape measure, and measure around your hips where you are actually going to wear the belt, over the pants your are going to wear.   That will give you the measurement to the center hole on your new belt.   You can talk to Sandhills Slim about it.  Although he doesn't make rigs for others, he did make the rigs that he and Ms. Jewel wear.

Thanks, I'll shoot them a email and talk to them. 

Kid,

As a leather maker, I can get a very exact measurement by asking the customer to lay their current gun belt on a flat surface and measure from the center bar of the buckle (the bar that contains the tongue of the buckle) to the hole that they are currently using.  I found that you get a much better fit than trying to actually measuring the person.  When measuring a person, the rule of thumb for a gun belt is:  the actual measured waist size plus 4" to 4 1/2" inches.  I normally use 7 oval holes on the billet of a Ranger style belt (the center hole being the measured length and 5 holes on a gunfighter style (one strip of leather with tapered ends).   

Years ago, a customer wouldn't come to my house to let me measure him or his belt.  I repeatedly gave him the directions above to get an accurate measurement.  He showed up at the house to try on his finished rig and it was way too tight.  We put a tape measure on the belt and it was exactly the length he had given me.  After a heated discussion, he admitted that he had never measured his old gun belt.  He thought it would be okay to just give me the waist size of the jeans he wore.  He wanted me make him a new belt for free.  That wasn't going to happen; it wasn't my mistake.  We finally resolved the problem by making his "tight" gun belt into a shotgun belt and I made him a new gun belt for 1/2 price from a belt strip I had cut for a customer who canceled and order right after I had cut the leather.

It is preferable to actually meet with your leather maker, if possible, but any good leather maker can your belt fit correct, if you give him the right measurement.    

I've looked at their leather and talked to both Otter and the guy from JM leather that McCandless mentioned.  They do good work and should have no problem helping you out.

Archived