SASS Wire Forum

How do you think about marijuana?

Alpo

NCIS, Abby said something about marijuana, and Gibbs said, "Grass?"

That got me thinking.

So if you were walking down the street and smelt this aroma, and said to yourself, "Hmmm. Someone is smoking..."

What word would be in your mind?

Pot? Grass? Mary Jane? Reefer? Tea? Something else?

Weed

He’s only asking what word pops into your mind assuming you know what it is. It depends a lot on your age, particular culture and region of the country. Pot is the word for me.

51 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Sometimes I think pot, but usually I think reefer.

You 1930s hipster! :lol:

0F8EA883-0050-40A4-8C56-81290F0A4F50.jpeg

WEED.

That's what most of the cannabis dispensaries and growers around here call it.

The farmers who switched to full-scale field production raise "hemp" (not for smoking).

Back in the mid-70's it was booked in as "green, leafy vegetable material".

Pot, or marijuana, in my case. "Grass" was widely used when "groovy" was; a long time ago.

Reefer I always thought of as an ancient name for a joint; i.e., a marijuana cigarette (to those whom claim ignorance of these matters). 

As for the smell, it is so distinctive as to make it hard to think that someone by now has never sensed it...

9 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Reefer I always thought of as an ancient name for a joint;

A reefer, or reeferS, was what they called a joint way way way back in the olden days. But in the mid-70s, around here, the actual mary-ju-wanna weed was called reefer.

Herb.

I went to San Francisco State.  Belonged to a fraternity full of athletes... our frat house was a block from Haight Street and four blocks from Ashbury.  Those were mighty short blocks!  :huh:

Mind you, Kappa Phi Delta pre-dated the "Summer of Love" by a number of years.  You can imagine the impression on the jocks when the hippies invaded!  :lol:

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

As for the smell, it is so distinctive as to make it hard to think that someone by now has never sensed it...

When we lived in The Oaks the people 3 lots east of us had a patch, maybe 20 x 20, of densely planted plants that had gotten to about 7 foot tall.  One evening they must have burned 10 pounds of the carp. Dense smoke,  a stench that would gag a buzzard, gave every one headaches,  and the smell lingered for days. 

2 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

WEED.

That's what most of the cannabis dispensaries and growers around here call it.

The farmers who switched to full-scale field production raise "hemp" (not for smoking).

Back in the mid-70's it was booked in as "green, leafy vegetable material".

...which due to my training and experience,I suspected was cannabis, your honor.

59 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

When we lived in The Oaks the people 3 lots east of us had a patch, maybe 20 x 20, of densely planted plants that had gotten to about 7 foot tall.  One evening they must have burned 10 pounds of the carp. Dense smoke,  a stench that would gag a buzzard, gave every one headaches,  and the smell lingered for days. 

Must've been like being at a Winterland concert in SF back in the early seventies...  :rolleyes:  :blink:

There's something in the smell that gives me an instant migraine. 

Would 'sense' it before most other officers could.

Made plenty of arrests back in the day because of it.

This was back when any amount of 'pot' was a Felony. 

OLG 

Use to just refer to it as Pot.  Officially, it was referred to as GLM (green leafy material) for evidence tagging purposes.  During helicopter harvesting time, that stuff would stink up the whole building.  Very strong rag weed smell.  

14 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

First thing . How do you know what it smells like ?

I got asked that very question when I was going through an orientation class to teach school in 1969.  I had been back from 'Nam nine days.

They were telling us what to look for to prevent bullying, prejudices, and drug and alcohol use.  A small incense burner sort of thing was fired up and passed through the newbies, about thirty of us, in the high school auditorium.  I was two rows back and in the middle.  The moderator was telling us "this is what marijuana smells like."

When it got to me I said, I thought i said it almost under my breath, "yeah, it sorta smells like marijuana, but this isn't marijuana."   The moderator asked me, Mr. Taylor, just how is it that you know what marijuana smells like and looks like?"

I was taken aback for a couple of seconds and then explained that I had recently returned from a one year, all expense paid trip to study the culture and relate to the people of sunny SouthVietnam.

It was never mentioned again.

If I heard that someone was “smoking”, I think cigarettes.  If someone said, “toking” I would say marijuana.  The big rage for pain relief is CBD oil.

Archived