SASS Wire Forum

New pointy thing

Utah Bob #35998

MC-1 Aircrew Survival Knife. I had one in the 60s.

E064EECD-E5C7-49EE-9812-0B4AE417EFF9.jpeg

2E55B8A8-314F-48A8-A6A0-F4531AEB9F6D.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

Ah yes, UB. Brings back memories. I got my first one in 1966 at Pensacola.

PF

A friend of mine, an ex F4 driver, still has his. We put it in the display case at the VFW.

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Looks new. How did you find it?

OLG 

A guy in a military equipment collector’s group. Most of em look new. They spent their time in a pocket on a survival vest.

they have become very collectible to the blade accumulators , much in demand and prices have soared for the ones of VN vintage , the post VN not so much but they are still in demand , 

came back to edit congrats on a very nice item in what looks to be great condition , 

This one is mine. Actually used it to release myself from hanging in tree in eastern North Carolina after giving one back to the taxpayers. Worked as published. Been in the toolbox ever since. 

0FE5CAE1-A5E2-40A8-89C4-17DFBF9731B6.jpeg

DFED9A86-1FE3-42B0-AEBF-7C265C70473D.jpeg

Which blade does the button release?

I saw a pretty little Schrade switchblade at the flea market one time. A pen knife - blades at each end.

Had a button on each side - one for each blade.

Very pretty, but it $125 it was also very outside my price range.

The button releases the knife blade  It's a switchblade knife  The blade locks in place.  That little brass slide locks the button out so that it can't accidentally be pushed and allow the blade to collapse.  To close you press the button and close the blade.  The shroud cutter opens with your fingers.

The reason the blade and not the shroud line cutter is automatic is that it was actually supposed to be stowed in the survival vest or uniform pocket with the line cutter already out and ready to use. That’s how I carried mine when I jumped, in a rigger made pouch.

Just about everything in the survival vest has about a 3 ft rolled up lanyard attaching it to the vest so that you don't drop/lose it.

Just wondering around the net and found one for sale. "Snaps hard, locks tight". Blade looks in almost new condition. $75.

Is that a good price, or a "oh my God snap that up quickly" price, or a "he needs to kiss you if he's going to do you that hard" price? I'm not going to buy it regardless, but I'm curious about what the going price is.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Just wondering around the net and found one for sale. "Snaps hard, locks tight". Blade looks in almost new condition. $75.

Is that a good price, or a "oh my God snap that up quickly" price, or a "he needs to kiss you if he's going to do you that hard" price? I'm not going to buy it regardless, but I'm curious about what the going price is.

That’s a decent price. I’ve see them go for 150. Not legal in all states.

Archived