SASS Wire Forum

Henry Frontier Load Single 22LR

bgavin

I took my Frontier to a match last Saturday.
One of the experienced pards liked it except for the tube loading (no side gate) in the event of a single problem.

Q: Can the Henry be safely loaded from the open bolt?

I'm a long way from the range, so I'll experiment with Snap Caps.

I was hoping Widder or one of the other Henry experts will chime in and pass along some knowledge or caveats.

The answer is, yes, it can be done. Practical? No, but maybe quicker than loading one through the tube.

(edit) It appears I have one of the rare left-handed versions!

Not a left handed gun, the video is just flipped.

If you zoom in you'll notice the pencil sharpener is backwards as is the lettering on the barrel, and the two boxes on the shelf have backwards 1 & 2 wrote on them.

Oh horse knuckles.

Here I was going to get a left handed Henry for my beautiful bride.

I've known men to get their wives a fly rod for their birthday (insert innocent expression here!) ... officially that's not why I want to get her a left handed model ... (uttered in an innocent voice while shoving hands in pockets, rolling eyes toward ceiling and afterwards, walking away, whistling ....)

20 hours ago, bgavin said:

I'm a long way from the range, so I'll experiment with Snap Caps.

I was hoping Widder or one of the other Henry experts will chime in and pass along some knowledge or caveats.

As others have stated..... Yep.

Just drop it in on top of the carrier.

..........Widder

On 2/1/2021 at 2:33 AM, Fence Cutter said:

Not a left handed gun, the video is just flipped.

If you zoom in you'll notice the pencil sharpener is backwards as is the lettering on the barrel, and the two boxes on the shelf have backwards 1 & 2 wrote on them.

Drat!

I was hoping those boxes were marked S & I AND that pencil sharpener was mounted for lefty use.

I have no experience with the Henry. I have not tried with my Marlin. But my first rifle, nigh on 50 years ago, is a Remington pump that ejects out of the side of the receiver. And I learned to single load it.

It helps a lot if you have the muzzle pointed down t'ords the floor. At least at 45°. 40 or 35 would be better. Then gravity helps the bullet to drop in the chamber. Doing it at 90°, like 3 ft did - yeah, that ain't gonna work real good.

Archived