SASS Wire Forum

4F black powder in a 38Spl

It will work, just might have to use a filler! The finer the grain the more powder in the same volume of measurement! I use 2f in my loads, but got a few cans of 3f for a smoking {pun intended) when I loaded 1.3 cc of 3f in my case it had a noticeable difference in recoil and smoke, nothing hand cannonish but definitely noticeable. I weighed a 1.3cc scoop of 2f and 3f when I got home 2f equaled 19 grains and 3f equaled 21 grains. 4f is used for priming flash pans in flintlocks. But it will work.

Rafe 

Weigh the case of 4F and compare to 16gr of 3F doing 870 FPS with a 158gr bullet. Would believe it would be about sonic, so you make the call

option, mix the 4F with 2F

:FlagAm: I have used 4F in 38SPL cases.  My '72 Open Tops and Annie's P Jr's show no ill effects.   4F is a hoot.  I have never used fillers, only a grease cookie and card wad behind molly coated bullet.  And a fairly heavy compression.

To get you all really scratching your heads, long range pistol caliber rifle, 44WCF also 4F.

Chas B

Short answer, yes. Full case loads may give more recoil than you like. Maybe just use it in your rifle loads. Another option if you want to put in the work. Make it into whatever grain size you want. Pm me if you want the details on how to do that. 

Archived